The Student Room Group

Lost faith in women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

Maybe if I was more attractive physically, I wouldn't have such a hard time...again - looks is a form of currency.

Bingo. If you aren't very attractive (to most people) you'll need something else going for you.

It's just how it is.
Reply 41
Original post by Orthonym
Do you just want them for sex? Most likely no, you just wan tto find someone you are compatible with, enjoy being around and are comfortable with!

I want to be with a girl who shares the same point of view in life, and believes in what I do.

My work is all project based - media/PR is. (You climb up the PR world depending on how good your projects are) So I want to be with someone who appreciates that.
Because I am in mid - late 20s.

I don't fit the demographic of younger women, who often don't wan't anything serious.

I have not just graduated btw, it's just the nature of my work. I don't feel that I need to stop doing what I am passionate about to appease women. That is actually what saddens me.

I am actually quite accomplished in my field, just not rich yet. I do have a salary.

You shouldnt change what you want to do to appease anyone. I certainly agree with you there. However there will be those who will see an unpredictable income as incompatible for planning a future if that involves children, mortgage etc.

Depends how unpredictable of course, but if you don't want a short term relationship you may have to factor these considerations in. Being a woman in her late 20s who wants children means to me that I'm in my prime child bearing years. It would not be optimal for me to start having kids at the age of 35 and over (for biological/fertility reasons) and would prefer to be with someone who is in the place to work with that.

I don't have the luxury of waiting until 40, wishing that my partner would sort themselves out etc.

There are of course women who don't want kids. Perhaps if you don't, they would be more suited?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Anonymous Coward
Bingo. If you aren't very attractive (to most people) you'll need something else going for you.

It's just how it is.

Sigh.

Does that mean I will never get a GF again until I have made it?

You do know, I will be an extremely bitter guy if that's what ends up happening.
Sigh.

You do know, I will be an extremely bitter guy if that's what ends up happening.

No, you aren't destined to be single, but (and many guys don't seem to grasp this) you may have to lower your standards (assuming they're high) until you have more going for you.

There's not a huge amount you can do to change your face (there are some things, but short of surgery - you're stuck with it)
but you can work on non - physical qualities.

We'd all love to be adored and wanted by many exactly the way we are.
Unfortunately (unless you are that good looking) you need to do well for yourself financially or lower your standards.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 45
By sounds of it, you want someone to give you unfettered adoration in how great you are at work.

How did you come to the conclusion that all the girls who have dumped you have done so just because of materialistic concerns?
Reply 46
Original post by Eveiebaby
You don't and shouldnt change what you want to do to appease anyone. I certainly agree with you there. However there will be those who will see an unpredictable income as incompatible for planning a future if that involves children.

Depends how unpredictable of course, but if you don't want a short term relationship you may have to factor these considerations in. Being a woman in her late 28s who wants children means to me that I'm in my child bearing years. It would not be optimal for me to start having kids at the age of 35 and over (for biological/fertility reasons) and would prefer to be with someone who is in the place to work with that.

I don't have the luxury of waiting until 40, wishing that our partner would sort themselves out etc.

There are of course women who don't want kids. Perhaps if you don't, they would be more suited?

To be honest as long as she works as well, we can make it work. I dont earn less then 20k a year. My salary will also increase.

But what I don't want is to be with a woman who is looking for a meal ticket.

But that is how a lot of attractive girls seem to behave. They seem to think that because they are pretty, have x amount of potential suitors, revert back to the whole "men should take up all the slack" when it please them. Yet use feminism when faced with inequality.

My ex used exactly the same argument you just did. "I want babies, I need something more stable"...I was left thinking, you can do that, work and go on maternity leave like the rest of us. Anyway, she dumped me.

It's a tough economy out there.
Reply 47
Original post by JPGR
By sounds of it, you want someone to give you unfettered adoration in how great you are at work.

How did you come to the conclusion that all the girls who have dumped you have done so just because of materialistic concerns?

That is true. I am extremely passionate about my work, which is why I work in a creative field.

But yeah - they've used it against me at some stage or the other.

Also when you listen to the way some of these girls talk, like the one I was interested in recently - it becomes apparent.

I want a flat in London, house in Italy. A family etc.

She probably feels entitled to it because she knows she is hot.

It's like bloody hell love. Do you expect me to pay for it?
Reply 48
No. You've lost faith in yourself. How can you expect somebody to believe in you when you don't believe in yourself?
Reply 49
Original post by samba
No. You've lost faith in yourself. How can you expect somebody to believe in you when you don't believe in yourself?

I haven't to be honest. Not with my career. Hence, being stubborn.

I am just extremely jaded, right now.
Reply 50
I haven't to be honest. Not with my career. Hence, being stubborn.

I am just extremely jaded, right now.

Of course you have. If you have to ask "why would women want me?" you have no faith in your ability to attract or keep them.
Reply 51
Original post by samba
Of course you have. If you have to ask "why would women want me?" you have no faith in your ability to attract or keep them.

Well what do you expect?

It's not like they are making it easy for me?

You only become very confident at something if you succeed, not keep failing. Demoralising like hell.
To be honest as long as she works as well, we can make it work. I dont earn less then 20k a year. My salary will also increase.

But what I don't want is to be with a woman who is looking for a meal ticket.

But that is how a lot of attractive girls seem to behave. They seem to think that because they are pretty, have x amount of potential suitors, revert back to the whole "men should take up all the slack" when it please them. Yet use feminism when faced with inequality.

My ex used exactly the same argument you just did. "I want babies, I need something more stable"...I was left thinking, you can do that, work and go on maternity leave like the rest of us. Anyway, she dumped me.

It's a tough economy out there.

I don't know any women who want to be entirely supported like that, because I can't respect someone like that and as a result I tend not to be friends with people who's views I don't respect. Sorry to be offensive to wanna be kept women.

You need to be actively choosing to date a range of different women and get to know them as friends before you start emotionally investing in them. Perhaps you should in some cases put their world view and morals ahead of "stunning looks".

I know it's hard. The last guys I dated were hot but completely and utterly useless. It's easy to get blinded by lust. I just want someone who can contribute 50:50 or thereabouts.
Reply 53
I have a stable job, I also have extremely bright prospects. I am just earning less then 30k, which means I can't go out and buy my own place.

My ex broke it off partly because she didn't like the idea that I didn't have my own place. But here is the problem...

If I go out and rent a place, I save no money for a mortgage, if I stay at home, I can save up for a deposit.

Sounds like there are some girls on here who are down to earth. I am finding that the younger one's dont care as much (but just want to play around, and date guys their age range, with the older ones caring a lot as they want to settle)

Feel screwed.

Your reasoning is fine, and if a woman has a problem with your finances then is she the kind of woman you'd want to be with anyway? Your ex probably broke up for other reasons tbh. You not having your own place probably supported her decision, but if you really like someone then you wouldn't break up just because of that. It suggests that even if you did have your own place, she would probably have broken up with you in the end anyway because she's not ready to settle or wasn't compatible with you in other ways.

Don't blame your finances or anything. People just go through break ups a lot. I only had 2 proper break ups, but I still spent the majority of my life between the ages of 16 and 20 in those failing relationships. (I'm ... nearly 22 lol.) I've been cheated on and messed around, but it never made me want to give up on the opposite sex because stuff like that just happens. My exs will go on to find great partners as well, people who I would probably get along with, but the time and place and compatibility and maturity levels just weren't right between me and my exs at the time. It's not that they're horrible and want to hurt people.
Reply 54
Original post by Eveiebaby
I don't know any women who want to be entirely supported like that, because I can't respect someone like that and as a result I tend not to be friends with people who's views I don't respect. Sorry to be offensive if to women out there who want to be kept women.

You need to be actively choosing to date a range of different women and get to know them as friends before you start emotionally investing in them. Perhaps you should in some cases put their world view and morals ahead of "stunning looks".

I know it's hard. The last guys I dated were hot but completely and utterly useless. It's easy to get blinded by lust. I just want someone who can contribute 50:50 or thereabouts.

All of these girls, I meet through mutual friends.

They may also not every guy's cup of tea.

But yeah, left me heartbroken to be honest. Really irritates me when I meet someone new, only to find out they are looking for a free meal ticket. (I think that is what happened with the latest girl)
Reply 55
That is true. I am extremely passionate about my work, which is why I work in a creative field.

But yeah - they've used it against me at some stage or the other.

Also when you listen to the way some of these girls talk, like the one I was interested in recently - it becomes apparent.

I want a flat in London, house in Italy. A family etc.

She probably feels entitled to it because she knows she is hot.

It's like bloody hell love. Do you expect me to pay for it?

Are they financially insecure themselves? Is that why you expect to pay for it all?

Look, being passionate about your work is good (and its obvious you are). But you say it yourself that you're "extremely" passionate. Extremes are at the furthest edge of acceptability, sometimes even beyond that. Moderation to everything in life is key. Do you have an outlet from work? Do you have hobbies or interests outside of work and the creative field? You are the sum of your parts. You are not Mr Anon, the PR/Media Guy, only.

It looks like you're viewing everything through the prism of your dedication to work which in turn comes off as materialism. So it's like two faces of the same coin in many ways; are you attracting girls who are interested in materialistic gain because you yourself are interested in gaining success?

Alternatively, are you thinking they lose interest because you are not as successful as you want to be? Because, tbh, most people (nvm girls) would like a flat in London, a house in Italy and a family. It might be your interpretation and how you're seeing things are the problem.

Of course, you might have just had rotten luck and dated a series of bitches. If so, be glad they're gone and keep on looking for the good ones.
Some people still subscribe to the ridiculous idea that men should pay for everything in a relationship-OP seems to have met a few of these people.
Reply 57
Sigh.

Sounds like you are already :frown:

Out of interest why do you even want to be with a girl that cares about your job at all? From what you say about her 'appreciating you climbing up the ladder' it sounds like you want someone who values what job you do but then are upset when they value other jobs more.
Reply 58
Original post by redferry
Sounds like you are already :frown:

Out of interest why do you even want to be with a girl that cares about your job at all? From what you say about her 'appreciating you climbing up the ladder' it sounds like you want someone who values what job you do but then are upset when they value other jobs more.

lol read this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2645226

Looks like other guys are under pressure.

Put it this way , the work I do is very unique and when the time is right I will make over 100k. I am extremely passionate about it - it is my life.

I am not doing it because I am crazy.

Guys who win awards for creating unique work in PR/marketing get places. The best firms want the best people who have a good portfolio. I am on the verge of winning an award for a piece of work I have done. (been nominated)

I just need to sacrifice my independence a bit right now, work at smaller firms and as I am in my 20s. I need some girl to be understanding.

But that is what really annoys me, yeah sure you can see that I shouldn't be upset if they value other jobs more then mine. That is fine. But I have been in situations where I have great chemistry with the girl, only for that to be the deal breaker. Like the last one.
Reply 59
Original post by Midlander
Some people still subscribe to the ridiculous idea that men should pay for everything in a relationship-OP seems to have met a few of these people.

More common then you think. Especially with older women who know their value in society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending