The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of Law

I'm thinking about studying law. What are the pros and cons during and after the degree. I'm particularly interested in
Difficult aspects of the degree
The amount of time that you actually have to turn up to the university (obviously study time is most of the time)
Applying for training after you degree
The amount of time that you spend training/working in terms of hours
Career options post law
Job security
Reply 1
In terms of employment, it is highly competitive because of the over satuated market. Employers often concentrate only on your undergraduate degree, and if you got a first class honours, you are through.

Therefore, it is my advice to you that you pick a degree that is not related to law, like IT or business. Get an absoultely good grade from it, then do the 1 year GDL course that would grant you a law qualification for you to proceed to do another 1 year LPC course (a solicitor prep course - mandatory), then apply for a training contract in the time between your GDL and LPC courses.

In terms of employment, most people who main a law degree and went straight to the LPC are now unemployed and have to look into other fields of work. Therefore, it is a good idea for you to have a "second degree", the one you studied that's not law related in your undergrad, to prepare for this sh*tty economy.

In terms of work you need for studying, it depends. Some people, like myself, are stupid enough to just go to the library and open up the book and read it. Others, like my friends, are smart enough to buy notes online and "law for dummy" related books with primary aim on preparing exam (but lacking the knowledge of the law, yet still got a first in the exam, the irony...). Most of my friends got a commendation in their LPC all bought notes and just copy and paste the layouts of the answers, since LPC exam is open book. However, it is up to you to find the best method for study but if you plan on doing the old fashion way of study, like I did, then prepare to spend 4-5 hours of self study at home, after class. Whereas if you got law notes, you can finish studying one subject each week, then one more week for each subjects before the exam just to refresh your memory. (almost like cheating, huh?)

In terms of training, I donno about how other firms do things but it is generally 8-5. But that is in fact a luxury when you could even get a job/training at all in this market.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest