The Student Room Group

M3 Systems of Rigid Bodies help

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could try and explain rigid bodies to me as I really do not understand what to do for any of the questions. I have tried reading through the textbook, but it isn't really making sense so I was hoping someone could maybe give me some pointers as to how to go about doing a question. I have attached a question that I have been struggling on.

I would be grateful for any help you can give me!
Original post by m00c0w
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could try and explain rigid bodies to me as I really do not understand what to do for any of the questions. I have tried reading through the textbook, but it isn't really making sense so I was hoping someone could maybe give me some pointers as to how to go about doing a question. I have attached a question that I have been struggling on.

I would be grateful for any help you can give me!

What are you being asked for in this question?
In general, draw a clear diagram. It helps if you draw it with a small gap between the rods at B, so you can clearly show which forces are acting on each rod. See attachment
Reply 2
Original post by brianeverit
What are you being asked for in this question?
In general, draw a clear diagram. It helps if you draw it with a small gap between the rods at B, so you can clearly show which forces are acting on each rod. See attachment

Sorry, the questions are:
angle at B
magnitude at B
angle at A
magnitude at A
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I think I found out what the magnitude at A is by resolving vertically and horizontally to give 18.7N but I'm not sure how to get the others
Original post by m00c0w
I think I found out what the magnitude at A is by resolving vertically and horizontally to give 18.7N but I'm not sure how to get the others

Resolve horizontally and vertically for complete system to find values of R and S and hence the magnitude of reaction at A.
Take moments about B for the rod AB to find alpha.
Resolve horizontally and vertically for rod AB to find X and Y then take moments about C for rod BC to find Beta
Incidentally I apologise for showing R and the two X forces acting in wrong directions. They should be in exactly the opposite directions to the ones IO have shown. However it doesn't matter too much because if you assume the opposite directions your working should give you a negative answer.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest