The Student Room Group

How are you revising for your exams?

Just wondering how other people revise for their exams. Personally, I just buy a decent revision textbook (CGP!), and read all of the stuff that I need to know for the exam (with a bit of help from my school notes). Then, I try a couple of past papers and make proper notes on anything that I struggle with. Is this a good method? And how do you revise for your exams? Thanks :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I make concise notes on each topic from the revision guide. I don't do this systematically, but instead look at the spec and do areas I think I'm not very good at first. I then highlight important areas and key words. Its important to reword and think about what you are writing rather than copy it mindlessly, because you won't remember it. Its been proven that actually writing out notes and making mind maps etc helps a great deal (hand eye coordination) I do do past papers but not very many, I'm going to do a great deal after the bulk of my revision to see if there are any gaps in my knowledge I haven't covered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mainly notes, then past papers. Will be going through the spec tomorrow :h:
Shorten down all the notes, revise the crap out of them at least a month before exams, then past papers a week or 2 before to get back I to the swing of things. I only have 3 exams this summer, but, I'm stressing because 2 months should be enough and I've done all th stuff before, but, being summer, it feels like not enough time.
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Shorten down all the notes, revise the crap out of them at least a month before exams, then past papers a week or 2 before to get back I to the swing of things. I only have 3 exams this summer, but, I'm stressing because 2 months should be enough and I've done all th stuff before, but, being summer, it feels like not enough time.

You're stressing about 3 exams? 3?
I have 25- How do you think I feel?
Original post by WanderingWorrier

3 exams is stressful for me given the fact they are A levels, and pretty hard ones too, and given the circumstances that I have to deal with on top of that which has lead me to redoing all my chemistry exams again.
25 must be stressful for you, but don't think for a second I don't have problems to deal with and 3 shouldn't be anything to worry about, as I have a lot riding on these 3 exams.
Reply 6
Original post by thesuperdark
Just wondering how other people revise for their exams. Personally, I just buy a decent revision textbook (CGP!), and read all of the stuff that I need to know for the exam (with a bit of help from my school notes). Then, I try a couple of past papers and make proper notes on anything that I struggle with. Is this a good method? And how do you revise for your exams? Thanks :biggrin:

I usually look at the revision guide and make notes from it, paying particular attention to my weak areas. And then I attempt a past paper :smile:
3 exams is stressful for me given the fact they are A levels, and pretty hard ones too, and given the circumstances that I have to deal with on top of that which has lead me to redoing all my chemistry exams again.
25 must be stressful for you, but don't think for a second I don't have problems to deal with and 3 shouldn't be anything to worry about, as I have a lot riding on these 3 exams.

Ohhh, A-Levels! Sorry, I was thinking they were GCSEs. Wow, okay, you've definitely got it a lot worse than I do. Sorry :colondollar:
Ohhh, A-Levels! Sorry, I was thinking they were GCSEs. Wow, okay, you've definitely got it a lot worse than I do. Sorry :colondollar:

Don't be sorry, I'm a little on edge with things at the moment :smile:
GCSEs are incredibly stressful too, good luck in them :smile:

Actually, i should be apologising, I didn't see it was in the GCSE forum... *face palm* I just seen the title and not the section! very sorry to be misleading!! :colondollar:
But I pretty much just did loads of past papers and read he spec for GCSE :tongue:, to properly answer the question :redface:
Reply 10

Wait what?! You have 25 GCSE exams?!
Don't be sorry, I'm a little on edge with things at the moment :smile:
GCSEs are incredibly stressful too, good luck in them :smile:

Understandable :tongue: I mean, they are A-Levels xD

Actually, i should be apologising, I didn't see it was in the GCSE forum... *face palm* I just seen the title and not the section! very sorry to be misleading!! :colondollar:
But I pretty much just did loads of past papers and read he spec for GCSE :tongue:, to properly answer the question :redface:

Haha, it's fine :lol:
Oh, the spec. That's a good idea. I do need to use the spec.
Reply 12
I feel so dumb seeing that people have 15+ exams because I have 10 and I feel like that is a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jaseho98
Wait what?! You have 25 GCSE exams?!

Yeah xD That's a normal number of GCSEs xD
Reply 14
I have all the links to the exam boards to my favourites bar at the top of the page, download past papers, find some videos and tutorials to watch, write down when school revision sessions are and then... I watch funny videos instead of actually revising. SO I do all the prep but not the actual doing.

Jeeze how long are your exams?? My longest exam is 2 hours but I am doing GSCEs I am worried about AS and A levels though
Reply 17
English language is 2 hours and 15 minutes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BCMFM16
English language is 2 hours and 15 minutes

Posted from TSR Mobile

English is language is boring but quite easy, it's a good GCSE to be able to get an A* without revision
Can my answer be...not? I've had possibly the most stressful school term of my life, constant hospital appointments and ART. I HATE ART.

*breathe* I'm doing bits and bobs... because my school does a lot of internal exams I've got a huge amount of my notes already done. I've started breaking these up a bit though and found a love for past papers, they are much more enjoyable than just learning the stuff off. I also love Twig and GCSEpod because again it doesn't feel too much like revision hehe.

I've got 17 exams- I did my maths last year and art hasn't got an exam so really I'm only sitting 8.5 GCSEs this summer because 2 are done.

Quick Reply

Latest