The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage demands Maria Miller is recalled and faces public vote

http://www.economicvoice.com/nigel-farage-to-call-for-public-vote-on-maria-miller/

Things just got interesting particularly as UKIP have a very good chance of winning her seat. Farage wants Maria Miller recalled to face a public vote which was a policy the coalition promised but have not introduced. This will be very difficult for Cameron to argue with

I wonder what the constiutents think? Would you want your MP recalled to face a revote if they had acted inappropriately?
Reply 1
Definitely; let those bastards burn for abusing the power that they wouldn't have had without us entrusting it to them.
Reply 2
She should be executed for raping the state and the British tax payer

Death follows rape charges in many other countries, so why not here?!
Please can we just stop having this dominate the news now? She's resigned. Can it just go away, please?
Reply 4
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Please can we just stop having this dominate the news now? She's resigned. Can it just go away, please?

she has only resigned as culture sec and is getting £17,000 redundancy on top of the £40,000 she already screwed out of the tax payer

Here is the UKIP response:

Mr Farage said: “Yet again this is the political class looking after its own and letting down the electorate. Maria Miller’s critics in Basingstoke and there are many should have the right to see if they can put together a petition of 10 per cent of the local electorate as stipulated in the Coalition Agreement. I believe they would be able to clear that hurdle with ease.

“A promise was made by Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg and they have failed to honour it. That is desperately cynical as I suspect they never intended to honour it in the first place. Neither did Ed Miliband raise this aspect of the Miller debacle in PMQs. Voters in Basingstoke and elsewhere will be forgiven for thinking the whole political class at Westminster is once again conspiring to protect one of its own from proper democratic accountability.”

http://www.ukip.org/let_the_people_decide_nigel_farage_demands_the_electors_of_basingstoke_get_the_right_to_a_by_election_over_maria_miller_debacle
The way I see it, she's done nothing but gain from this - the only thing she's lost is her job. She's claimed thousands, while the Conservative Party are out criticising benefit scroungers no less! What she's done is far worse - the people entrust her with power, only for it to be abused.

If anyone else had done something like this, they'd have been locked up/put on Saints & Scroungers/etc. But not an MP. You'd think the leaders of our country would be far more responsible and good examples of what people should be like in their country. Not here though.
Original post by MASTER265

Everyone else stabs themself for fun, SO MUST I!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Ace123
she has only resigned as culture sec and is getting £17,000 redundancy on top of the £40,000 she already screwed out of the tax payer

Here is the UKIP response:

Mr Farage said: “Yet again this is the political class looking after its own and letting down the electorate. Maria Miller’s critics in Basingstoke and there are many should have the right to see if they can put together a petition of 10 per cent of the local electorate as stipulated in the Coalition Agreement. I believe they would be able to clear that hurdle with ease.

“A promise was made by Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg and they have failed to honour it. That is desperately cynical as I suspect they never intended to honour it in the first place. Neither did Ed Miliband raise this aspect of the Miller debacle in PMQs. Voters in Basingstoke and elsewhere will be forgiven for thinking the whole political class at Westminster is once again conspiring to protect one of its own from proper democratic accountability.”

http://www.ukip.org/let_the_people_decide_nigel_farage_demands_the_electors_of_basingstoke_get_the_right_to_a_by_election_over_maria_miller_debacle

Right. So, let's assume that £50,000 is on the line. No-one has claimed that she's incompetent at what she does, so that's all it comes down to. Does this really merit the massive amounts of airtime this story has been getting? Do we really need to encourage the attitude which a lot of people already have, that all politicians are thieves and liars, over the fate of a woman who has resigned her post over events which took place years ago and may have involved, in national terms, the misallocation of a paltry sum of money?

I'm just sick of hearing this kind of story. If there is actual fraud then it needs to be dealt with. But I'd rather it not be on the news every day for weeks. That's all.
Right. So, let's assume that £50,000 is on the line. No-one has claimed that she's incompetent at what she does, so that's all it comes down to. Does this really merit the massive amounts of airtime this story has been getting? Do we really need to encourage the attitude which a lot of people already have, that all politicians are thieves and liars, over the fate of a woman who has resigned her post over events which took place years ago and may have involved, in national terms, the misallocation of a paltry sum of money?

I'm just sick of hearing this kind of story. If there is actual fraud then it needs to be dealt with. But I'd rather it not be on the news every day for weeks. That's all.

And I'd rather not hear about "Wimbers" every damn summer, but there you have it.

Personally I'd have every MP who has been found guilty of expense fraud to lose their job with no redundancy pay and have a black mark follow them for the rest of their career, just like the rest of us have to. One rule for them and all that.

"Do we really need to encourage the attitude which a lot of people already have, that all politicians are thieves and liars"

A lot of them are though, it's hardly a false belief. Does it need to be on the air for weeks? No. But the more publicity these cases get the more likely it is that the public are going to pay close attention to who they elect next time.
Nice one Nigel.
I realise he is making the most of it but how many other mps are saying this.
He is saying what the majority of the voting public think.
The only reason she got the stick from her fellow mps that she did is that other mps hate the fact that she has brought their utter greed back to the fore again.
Reply 10
I don't think the fact that she illicitly profited from the allowances system precludes the possibility that she was a competent politician and valuable cabinet member. Really, this thing is only as big as the lefty media want it to be, hence it's huge.
I fully agree. If you wrongly claim expenses you should pay them back and feel the wrath of the angry public. If her constituents want to replace her, they should be allowed.

UKIP a polling quite well in that constituency and did well at the local elections. They are happy to have the public replace her as they think they could capitalise on the outcry and gain their first MP. Good for UKIP. It's about time they had an MP...
Reply 12
:lol: As much as I hate the fraudulent bitch and am glad she resigned, I still think **** UKIP and their try at cheap political gains.
I'd rather have a mp who pays back some money, then right win scare mongering scum, who wrongly blame immigrants for economic downturn, when in fact they contribute more than some of the lazy people here.
Reply 13
Does this really merit the massive amounts of airtime this story has been getting?

I'm pretty bored of hearing about benefit cheats too but this one has been quite entertaining, I wonder how many more we've missed and why was Cameron so desperate to defend her? :s-smilie:

Do we really need to encourage the attitude which a lot of people already have, that all politicians are thieves and liars, over the fate of a woman who has resigned her post over events which took place years ago and may have involved, in national terms, the misallocation of a paltry sum of money?
Why not? We've done it with the sick and the disabled and immigrants and the unemployed and the poor and the muslims and the police, we'd almost forgotten about the bunch of lying, thieving ***** in charge.

I'm just sick of hearing this kind of story.

Aren't we all, there's far too much thieving and lying going on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ace123
UKIP have a very good chance of winning her seat.

Possibly. This is one of the most solid Tory seats in the country - the Tories have won all elections but one there since 1885. Will be interesting to see if UKIP will get the same swing from the Tories in a Tory stronghold that they've been getting in marginals and safe Labour seats.
Slightly disingenuous for Farage to try and make political gains from expenses considering UKIP hardly have a glowing record on that issue in the EU parliament.
Political opportunism again. Good ol' UKIP.
Original post by Ace123
http://www.economicvoice.com/nigel-farage-to-call-for-public-vote-on-maria-miller/

Things just got interesting particularly as UKIP have a very good chance of winning her seat. Farage wants Maria Miller recalled to face a public vote which was a policy the coalition promised but have not introduced. This will be very difficult for Cameron to argue with

I wonder what the constiutents think? Would you want your MP recalled to face a revote if they had acted inappropriately?

It would be good if it happened.

Original post by MASTER265

:lolwut:

She's resigned as culture secretary but that isn't the end. She hasn't paid it all back and she is still an MP. She should pay back the entire amount and be stripped of her title as MP and be forbidden from standing as an MP in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending