The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Medievalist Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
@Iridescenzo: Sorry to hear about all the trouble with your dissertation. I'm afraid I can't help and can only sympathise - all literary criticism is incomprehensible to me.

On a related note, and something I've wondered about - are there 'historical' and 'literature/cultural' branches of medieval literature/language study? On the history side, there's definitely a clear dividing line between historians certainly not interested in literature as a literary enterprise (even if they use it as a historical source) and those (usually described as 'cultural' historians) who are. Is there a similar divide on your side? ON a more general level, is there a difference between the study of medieval history and medieval literature, especially when one gets into cultural history?

Discuss!
Original post by Iridescenzo
Where do you study?
I wish my undergraduate course offered more than a whopping two medieval modules throughout the whole syllabus.
I'm rather anti-historical; the chronology side of it never really interested me, which is probably why I'm not a huge fan of Le Morte D'Arthur.
I'm sure you wouldn't agree with all of my tastes, though. :rolleyes:

I'm based in Cardiff, and have been since my undergraduate days. Can't quite believe where they went...

Malory started off my adventures with Arthurian and medieval literature, and was a massive fan of the Grail quest. Such interesting imagery and motifs deployed. I've gradually moved toward Geoffrey of Monmouth though. Heroic Arthur FTW.
Much 20th century literary criticism is rather laboriously written, and a lot of it simply doesn't make sense (I'm looking at you, Schofield). The key thing that I can't get my head around is all this variance with regard to what allegory actually is. The medieval 'four-fold' interpretation of allegory is confusing enough, but some of these critics can't even agree on what the four tenets of medieval allegory are. Some of them even write that allegory is a facet of allegory. :s-smilie:

Not even my tutor agreed with my 'Pearl is not a holistic allegory' assertion, but how can it be? We're not dealing with levels of metonymy like those in Animal Farm or The Pilgrim's Progress. We have a mix of extended metaphor (which could be read as self-contained allegories), the most obvious one being the central Pearl image. Actual Biblical allegories are incorporated into the text (Workers in the Vineyard/ Pearl of Great Price), but the fact that these self-contained allegories are part of the text, does not mean that the text, as a whole, is an allegory. It seems like such a simple notion to argue, but it's so bloody confusing. You can't argue that the Dreamer's process of consolation is allegorised as a journey into Heaven, because, unlike in Bunyan, the reader is literally being told that the ultimate goal is Heaven and/ or The New Jerusalem. We're not dealing with the Celestial City, here. The Pearl Maiden isn't masking her rhetoric (as in Boethius).

It's just an elegy; not an allegory. I can't be the only one who thinks this.

I bet your material is miles more comprehensible than the stuff I've had to put up with.

Isidore summarized antique allegory wonderfully in what now fits into a modern page of writing. It saddens me that late medieval and modern scholars have sought to imbue it with such complication and so many contradictions.

Good luck with your dissertation. For what my opinion is worth, your interpretation sounds persuasive.
Reply 43
Original post by Fisichella
Isidore summarized antique allegory wonderfully in what now fits into a modern page of writing. It saddens me that late medieval and modern scholars have sought to imbue it with such complication and so many contradictions.

Good luck with your dissertation. For what my opinion is worth, your interpretation sounds persuasive.

Well, I hope it turns out okay. It's basically just an extended practical criticism; I haven't really said anything particularly new or interesting. I'm surprised no one's made the comparison between the process by which the 'rose' becomes the 'perle', and how pearls are actually cultured. Seemed like a fairly obvious metaphor for self-purgation that would fit in, nicely.
Starting my essay on the influence King Ælfred had on the development of the english language tomorrow, looking forward to getting stuck into it!
Reply 45
So, I managed to get a hold of a formal definition of medieval exegetics, via the Dictionary of the Middle Ages (i.e. literal/ typological/ tropological/ anagogical), but, even in this particular entry, they use Pearl as a completely paradigmatic example of four-fold allegory.

What
I've tried my best to refute it, but it's just so DIFFICULT. :mad:
I wish I could actually get some help with this. Too bad my tutor is nowhere to be found.

Reply 46
Hi everyone!
I'm just finishing up my undergraduate degree in History (general, although I have studied mostly late medieval and Reformation history). Just on the verge of submitting my 40,000 word thesis about queenship, English Reformation, blah blah I can't even talk about it anymore... I need a really long nap.
I'm going to Durham in the fall for the MA in Medieval and Early Modern Studies. I want to maintain my focus on history but it is an interdisciplinary programme so I'm excited to be able to study history of art a little more (I was planning to do a minor in Art History for my undergraduate but I decided two minors were too many, so I dropped that and just kept a minor in Latin).
My main interest is... something I don't know a name for. I don't think it's exactly architectural history because while I love historic buildings and love to study them, it's not the actual architecture of buildings that interests me the most. I love historic buildings because of their connection to past events... so I'm interested mostly in what HAPPENED in the buildings and the lives of the people who lived there. I would love to work for a heritage organisation some day.
Is anyone else going to Durham? Or, are there any other international students here? I'm from Canada :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by JJasper
Hi everyone!
I'm just finishing up my undergraduate degree in History (general, although I have studied mostly late medieval and Reformation history). Just on the verge of submitting my 40,000 word thesis about queenship, English Reformation, blah blah I can't even talk about it anymore... I need a really long nap.
I'm going to Durham in the fall for the MA in Medieval and Early Modern Studies. I want to maintain my focus on history but it is an interdisciplinary programme so I'm excited to be able to study history of art a little more (I was planning to do a minor in Art History for my undergraduate but I decided two minors were too many, so I dropped that and just kept a minor in Latin).
My main interest is... something I don't know a name for. I don't think it's exactly architectural history because while I love historic buildings and love to study them, it's not the actual architecture of buildings that interests me the most. I love historic buildings because of their connection to past events... so I'm interested mostly in what HAPPENED in the buildings and the lives of the people who lived there. I would love to work for a heritage organisation some day.
Is anyone else going to Durham? Or, are there any other international students here? I'm from Canada :smile:

:eek: That's more words than I have to write for my entire master's year!!!!
Reply 48
I did realise when I was applying to Masters programmes that the dissertations never seemed to need to be more than 20,000 words. The minimum requirement for my undergraduate thesis was about 30,000 words but obviously I've gone a bit over that. Then there were lots of other lengthy papers I've had to write this year as well. I am very tired. :coma: Sometimes it can be more challenging to write concisely so maybe a Masters dissertation will be even more challenging, but for now I'm just thinking if I only have to write half of what I did this year... that is definitely doable. And honestly after I got past about 25,000 words the quality started to go downhill. I hope I will be able to be more focused and have more time to edit and perfect my Masters dissertation. But first I'm going to have a lot of drinks and a lot of naps.
Hello! another medievalist checking in. I'm currently in my final year of my undergraduate degree in history at Oxford, and have developed a love for the early medieval period since taking a first year module on Europe 300-900 (although I'm pretty sure it can also be linked back to growing up a stone's throw away from St Wilfrid's church at Hexham and numerous trips to Bede's World in Jarrow with my grandma…). Since then, I've squeezed as much early medieval stuff as I can into my history degree - this summer I'll be sitting final exams that include a study of western Europe from 700-900, 7th and 8th century Anglo-Saxon archaeology, and analysing sources from tenth-century Byzantium. I wrote my thesis, a mere 12,000 words including footnotes, on material evidence for cultural interaction on the Danelaw, taking a comparative approach towards numismatics and metalwork, mainly dress accessories. It don't think it was very good, but I really enjoyed it (or at least, in hindsight - at the time it was a big messy panic!). Surprising how much you can fit in to a degree that's technically 'modern' history.

Next year I will (grades dependent!) be staying at Oxford for the MSt in archaeology, hopefully writing my thesis on something to do with numismatics and material culture and power and kingship and some other vague interests that I really need to hone a bit! My ultimate life goal is some form of medieval museum job - I spent six weeks last summer as an intern in the numismatic department of the Berlin State museums and now have some idealised view of my future in which I spend my days playing with Carolingian coins, which really isn't going to happen, but a girl can dream...

I'm currently struggling through a comparative essay for revision on reasons for shifts in artistic styles in the middle Byzantine empire and seventh to tenth century England. It isn't going too well...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by JJasper
I did realise when I was applying to Masters programmes that the dissertations never seemed to need to be more than 20,000 words. The minimum requirement for my undergraduate thesis was about 30,000 words but obviously I've gone a bit over that. Then there were lots of other lengthy papers I've had to write this year as well. I am very tired. :coma: Sometimes it can be more challenging to write concisely so maybe a Masters dissertation will be even more challenging, but for now I'm just thinking if I only have to write half of what I did this year... that is definitely doable. And honestly after I got past about 25,000 words the quality started to go downhill. I hope I will be able to be more focused and have more time to edit and perfect my Masters dissertation. But first I'm going to have a lot of drinks and a lot of naps.

I can believe you need a break after all that! The only Masters courses I've found with 40,000 word dissertations are 2 year long ones, where the entire second year is spent writing, so you've managed an amazing feat! I do think you're right, however, on quality vs quantity, especially if you have a deadline coming up and a sort of minimum word count, you'll just put any waffle on the page to fill it up. On the other hand, I have had the experience of having to cut out absolutely essential sections (because everything was essential by that stage) in order to get under a word limit, which is even less fun.

Original post by flywithemma
Hello! another medievalist checking in. I'm currently in my final year of my undergraduate degree in history at Oxford, and have developed a love for the early medieval period since taking a first year module on Europe 300-900 (although I'm pretty sure it can also be linked back to growing up a stone's throw away from St Wilfrid's church at Hexham and numerous trips to Bede's World in Jarrow with my grandma…). Since then, I've squeezed as much early medieval stuff as I can into my history degree - this summer I'll be sitting final exams that include a study of western Europe from 700-900, 7th and 8th century Anglo-Saxon archaeology, and analysing sources from tenth-century Byzantium. I wrote my thesis, a mere 12,000 words including footnotes, on material evidence for cultural interaction on the Danelaw, taking a comparative approach towards numismatics and metalwork, mainly dress accessories. It don't think it was very good, but I really enjoyed it (or at least, in hindsight - at the time it was a big messy panic!). Surprising how much you can fit in to a degree that's technically 'modern' history.

Next year I will (grades dependent!) be staying at Oxford for the MSt in archaeology, hopefully writing my thesis on something to do with numismatics and material culture and power and kingship and some other vague interests that I really need to hone a bit! My ultimate life goal is some form of medieval museum job - I spent six weeks last summer as an intern in the numismatic department of the Berlin State museums and now have some idealised view of my future in which I spend my days playing with Carolingian coins, which really isn't going to happen, but a girl can dream...

I'm currently struggling through a comparative essay for revision on reasons for shifts in artistic styles in the middle Byzantine empire and seventh to tenth century England. It isn't going too well...

Welcome! Part of the reason this thread was set up was there seemed to be a congregation of medievalists in the Oxford postgrad thread, but you seem to be one of the few who has migrated over here. Your work sounds really interesting, especially the Danelaw dissertation - I argued in an undergrad essay rejecting the material culture argument as grounds for widespread Scandinavian settlement and while I don't know what your thesis is, it is a fascinating subject.

As for numismatics and medieval archaeology, I don't think you could find a better place than Oxford. There are four research seminars a week that will regularly have archaeological material in them and you will find numismatists scattered throughout all of them. Be warned though - those people and their coin obsessions are known as nerds even in the highly nerd-filled community of Oxford medievalist, as much as we recognise the value of the work! :tongue:
Reply 51
Original post by ellie.rew

On a related note, and something I've wondered about - are there 'historical' and 'literature/cultural' branches of medieval literature/language study? On the history side, there's definitely a clear dividing line between historians certainly not interested in literature as a literary enterprise (even if they use it as a historical source) and those (usually described as 'cultural' historians) who are. Is there a similar divide on your side? ON a more general level, is there a difference between the study of medieval history and medieval literature, especially when one gets into cultural history?

Discuss!

It is an interesting topic. I would first say that there are no clear distinctions about the cultural/literary and historical branches, as both need the sources and both need to get involved with them despite their goals. Of course cultural/literary historians may excel at their work without reviewing subjects like numismatics and archaeology, which are obliged at a certain extent to historians but both of them need to immerse themselves in more literary sources. Especially if we consider that divisions of knowledge were not as marked and clear as they are today. Historians need to heed on particular situations: literature, language, religion, geography, influences from vernacular languages and the reception of Latin texts, to name some. I frankly doubt that only specializing in one field of Medieval History/Literature/Studies is desirable in the same extent as it is possible for modern history (which I see more related to economics and politics rather than literature and philosophy) because the same epoch permits and forces to attend all those branches. I think that for studying certain authors or epochs you need to understand what were their circumstances, education and concerns. With that being said, I do not think cultural/literary historians are very different from historians, at least for as Middle Ages’ studies concerns. The subject of study prevents it.
Reply 52
So, I managed to get a hold of a formal definition of medieval exegetics, via the Dictionary of the Middle Ages (i.e. literal/ typological/ tropological/ anagogical), but, even in this particular entry, they use Pearl as a completely paradigmatic example of four-fold allegory.

What
I've tried my best to refute it, but it's just so DIFFICULT. :mad:
I wish I could actually get some help with this. Too bad my tutor is nowhere to be found.

I may say nonsense but perhaps if you consider it a prosopopoeia (similar at certain extent to allegory but it is not treated equally by rhetoric) and an elegy, you might find better arguments for defending the elegy interpretation without refuting completely the allegory-based academy. A prosopopoeia shares characteristics with an allegory in the metaphoric level of language but it does not require an extended use of it (as allegory does), and it fits with an elegy interpretation. In fact, in classical poetry there are elegies that are basically prospopoeiae.
Reply 53
Original post by JJasper
Hi everyone!

Welcome! I saw Durham’s programme and it was greatly appealing. I am from the same continent but way southern.
Currently struggling with a section of my dissertation. Does anyone know any good secondary sources on women and siege warfare? I'm looking at the 12th century, Iberia here.

To the person who wrote the 40000 dissertation: I cannot even imagine HOW. I'm struggling enough to finish my 10000 word one!!
Reply 55
Original post by Historiadora
Currently struggling with a section of my dissertation. Does anyone know any good secondary sources on women and siege warfare? I'm looking at the 12th century, Iberia here.

No, sorry. For siege warfare perhaps you can find something in Ramón Menéndez Pidal’s works.
Reply 56
Wow great! I go on holiday and come back and a Medievalists forum is up and running - thanks Ellie.Rew!

I've not got a lot to contribute at the moment but am reading all the posts with very much interest. I'll be starting an MA at Durham in Medieval and Early Modern Studies soon, the same as another poster I think.
Original post by theopyrus
No, sorry. For siege warfare perhaps you can find something in Ramón Menéndez Pidal’s works.

Thank you! I will see if my library has any of his works.
Reply 58
Original post by Blou17
Wow great! I go on holiday and come back and a Medievalists forum is up and running - thanks Ellie.Rew!

I just followed a suggestion and am blown away by the amount of responses and the fact that this thread is still alive and kicking! I'm glad there's a demand for it actually.

I have no idea what you're working on or anything about women in sieges, but do keep us informed of what women do in sieges - it sounds interesting! :biggrin:
Reply 59

Sorry, I realized I didn’t copy any of the titles. I think the one that might help you is called The Spain of the Cid. He wrote extensively on Medieval Spain and especially literature, but he also studied history. I know that he started a History of Spain so it might be worth to look there. He is a bit old but an authority on the subject. Perhaps new editions added bibliography for you to consult.

One college told me that you may check a book called A History of their Own from Bonnie S. Anderson and Judith P. Zinsser. It is general about women’s history but includes many references. She also told me that the Spanish translation added a section dedicated especially to women in Spain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending