The Student Room Group

DSA postgraduate

Hi, I had an assessment mid 2011 for my BSc and was given equipment for my 3 years. In September I will be study for an MSc and will need support antthis new university too. I've heard that if you do another uni course in a short space of time after an undergrad, the support carries over and you don't have to reapply? But then how do you go about getting the support?

Will they ask for new evidence? If so, I've heard a copy of a previous DSA letter is acceptable but I only have a copy of my needs assessment, will this suffice or can I somehow get a copy of the original acceptance letter?

Sorry for all the questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by lozzyhickers
But then how do you go about getting the support?

When I applied for my Masters there was a section on the application which asked whether you had any issues which might affect your ability to study. Once I'd been offered the place, the uni's Student Support department contacted me proactively to ask what facilities I needed. For my Masters I didn't need any additional help (I already had a laptop for note taking and there were no exams on my course), so we agreed that we shouldn't take the issue any further. the door was left open and the support staff said that if I came across anything which needed help, I should contact them direct.

Will they ask for new evidence? If so, I've heard a copy of a previous DSA letter is acceptable but I only have a copy of my needs assessment, will this suffice or can I somehow get a copy of the original acceptance letter?

I suspect the process differs between universities. All of the contact I had was with uni staff and never got as far as considering DSA. However they would have been able to advise me if I'd needed to go back into the DSA system.

If you have a uni in mind for a Masters, you could always contact their Student Support department proactively, and ask their advice.
Reply 2
Does anyone else have any experience with this? Because this hasn't really answered my question.
Went from a Russell group to the university of law to do post grad. Reapplied for DSA but got a letter by return saying my assessment would just continue as before. They obviously need corroboration from your uni.
Reply 4
Original post by balotelli12
Went from a Russell group to the university of law to do post grad. Reapplied for DSA but got a letter by return saying my assessment would just continue as before. They obviously need corroboration from your uni.

Excellent, did you need to give evidence when you applied again or did they not need it?
I just sent off all the evidence I did with my original application
Reply 6
Thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply

Latest