The Student Room Group
Latayah
in september i will be going into my 2nd year of uni studying law. I now know that a career in law is not something i am after; however i was wondering whether i should change courses to a BA law degree or a law degree with business. Will these courses extend my career prospects after my degree; since a strict law career is no longer what i am after?

Studying the LLB does not mean that the only career possibilities that you are restricted to afterwards are those within the law such as solicitors and barristers. Remember that you don't have to have studied the LLB to qualify as solicitor or a barrister.

Lots of LLB students decide that they do not want to pursue a career in law and consequntly find other jobs to go into including the finance, media, civil service etc. You will come away, after studying the LLB, with many transferrable skills that other employers would not hold to your detriment.

Unless you really want to study business as well, I don't really see the need for you to change degrees especially of your only concern is of employability outside of the law upon graduation.
Reply 2
Unless you're really not enjoying your course, I'd keep going with it. A degree is a degree whatever subject it's in and will be useful in helping you get all sorts of non-law jobs. In any case, you may change your mind - I used to work with someone who graduated with an LLB, decided she didn't want a career in law, but a few years later she decided she did after all!