The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placement thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Quantum2123
omg I applied in March too does that mean I haven't got it? ... Should I contact them or just leave it? which area were you?

I'd wait until well into May If you haven't heard from them because as someone said they can be lazy! I'm from the Manchester Region, hbu?
Original post by ambzzz
I'd wait until well into May If you haven't heard from them because as someone said they can be lazy! I'm from the Manchester Region, hbu?

Yeh whilst talking to other people on TSR I have come to that conclusion lol :biggrin: ...Wales:biggrin: #northwales not too far from you XD
Yeh whilst talking to other people on TSR I have come to that conclusion lol :biggrin: ...Wales:biggrin: #northwales not too far from you XD

I'm from Wales too (although the South), and I haven't heard anything yet either :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For anyone in the London region, the coordinator told me that the results may be released by the end of April, but not necessarily.
Original post by _Caz_
Hi guys I got an email saying I had a conditional offer from the placement today and it requires me to have a CV and covering letter and I am completely stuck on what to write about? Do you do them like a regular job CV/covering letter or is it different? I'm so confused :s

ermm i dunno, it says if you find a placement of your own then you don't have to send them, only the personal information form and yeah i'm confused about what to actually write too :s-smilie:
Original post by 3mma_gal96
I'm from Wales too (although the South), and I haven't heard anything yet either :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg! you have saved me from so much worrying !!! Thank you :biggrin:... could you tell if you do get an e-mail, if I happen to get it I will tell you too:smile: .. I shall follow you!:biggrin: Good Luck, I hope you get it :biggrin:!
Original post by Chlorophile
For anyone in the London region, the coordinator told me that the results may be released by the end of April, but not necessarily.

Thank you!:smile:
Reply 27
I did a Nuffield Project at the University of Manchester last year, working in the faculty of life sciences looking at brain inflammation and stroke. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I wholeheartedly recommend it, plus it's such a boost for your Uni application (but this isn't the primary reason for doing it! Haha). I was working on PhD level work which was very intimidating at first as I didn't understand the lingo at all! But the students and staff were lovely and it was surprisingly easy to get into the work and start understanding what the heck I was actually doing. I did a four-week placement and came out of it absolutely knackered, but so grateful for the experience and for me, it cemented my desire to work in a lab.

About the write-up you do afterwards, I can't stress it enough, start it early. Mine was the most difficult piece of work I've ever done and took weeks. But you'll get a lot of help from your mentor/supervisor with this if you ask for it and it can seem impossible to do, but if I could do it, you can!

If anyone has any questions about it all (apart from admin stuff/waiting times as I have no idea how that works!) feel free to ask :smile: Good luck to everyone who has applied!
Reply 28
Original post by _Caz_
Hi guys I got an email saying I had a conditional offer from the placement today and it requires me to have a CV and covering letter and I am completely stuck on what to write about? Do you do them like a regular job CV/covering letter or is it different? I'm so confused :s

Hey! Well done on getting an offer.
You should start off with why you want to do the placement and then go on about the experiences you have had in and out of school. You could also talk about what you want to do after leaving school and say you want the experience in that particular field to make sure you are making the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29

No you aren't!! well good luck! :biggrin: My interview was today and It didn't go very well, but fingers crossed!! She did say I would know in 2 weeks:smile:
Reply 30
Original post by awesome_egg
ermm i dunno, it says if you find a placement of your own then you don't have to send them, only the personal information form and yeah i'm confused about what to actually write too :s-smilie:

Yeah because its not like an actual job so I'm confused :s-smilie:
Reply 31
Original post by kurt123
Hey! Well done on getting an offer.
You should start off with why you want to do the placement and then go on about the experiences you have had in and out of school. You could also talk about what you want to do after leaving school and say you want the experience in that particular field to make sure you are making the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the ideas! :smile: I was just so stumped about what to put in it because I thought CVs were for jobs and stuff...
Original post by ambzzz
No you aren't!! well good luck! :biggrin: My interview was today and It didn't go very well, but fingers crossed!! She did say I would know in 2 weeks:smile:

lol:biggrin: yunno I am sure it went fine,don't worry about it #fingerscrossed :biggrin: awesome I hope you get it :smile:!
Original post by Andaxay
I did a Nuffield Project at the University of Manchester last year, working in the faculty of life sciences looking at brain inflammation and stroke. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I wholeheartedly recommend it, plus it's such a boost for your Uni application (but this isn't the primary reason for doing it! Haha). I was working on PhD level work which was very intimidating at first as I didn't understand the lingo at all! But the students and staff were lovely and it was surprisingly easy to get into the work and start understanding what the heck I was actually doing. I did a four-week placement and came out of it absolutely knackered, but so grateful for the experience and for me, it cemented my desire to work in a lab.

About the write-up you do afterwards, I can't stress it enough, start it early. Mine was the most difficult piece of work I've ever done and took weeks. But you'll get a lot of help from your mentor/supervisor with this if you ask for it and it can seem impossible to do, but if I could do it, you can!

If anyone has any questions about it all (apart from admin stuff/waiting times as I have no idea how that works!) feel free to ask :smile: Good luck to everyone who has applied!

Did you sort out the placement yourself?
Reply 34
Original post by awesome_egg
Did you sort out the placement yourself?

Sort of, my co-ordinator gave me contact details for a possible placement and I e-mailed my future supervisor to ask if I could do a placement. We sorted out dates then I found out my starting time when I went to the induction day, but I think that's generally something you have to discuss with your supervisor on the project at the placement, haha.
Reply 35
lol:biggrin: yunno I am sure it went fine,don't worry about it #fingerscrossed :biggrin: awesome I hope you get it :smile:!

Thankyou :smile: let me know when you hear off of them!!
In Norfolk, haven't heard anything :colonhash: I have to book tickets to Australia if I don't get a place and that **** gets expensive the later it gets.
Original post by MangoFreak
In Norfolk, haven't heard anything :colonhash: I have to book tickets to Australia if I don't get a place and that **** gets expensive the later it gets.

:frown: ... really? lol why have you got to go Australia :L?
:frown: ... really? lol why have you got to go Australia :L?

I moved to the UK almost 7 years ago, but financial problems meant it was easier to go back last Christmas (my mother wanted to see her family regularly again and stuff). I was like "**** that" and argued for my staying here with friends :tongue: It's cheaper than the private school I would have had to have attended to be able to properly transition into the Australian school system (and I have moral objections to private education anyway), since I would be jumped straight into my final year (leaving age is 15/16, so I'd also be with people 2 years younger than me), which is assessed very differently to the UK.

So I visit on holidays now :tongue:
I just got an email the other day saying that there is a few delays youll know by end of this month

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending