The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placement thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MangoFreak
I moved to the UK almost 7 years ago, but financial problems meant it was easier to go back last Christmas (my mother wanted to see her family regularly again and stuff). I was like "**** that" and argued for my staying here with friends :tongue: It's cheaper than the private school I would have had to have attended to be able to properly transition into the Australian school system (and I have moral objections to private education anyway), since I would be jumped straight into my final year (leaving age is 15/16, so I'd also be with people 2 years younger than me), which is assessed very differently to the UK.

So I visit on holidays now :tongue:

So you're originally from Australia, awesome XD ... ohhh lol fun times :L :biggrin: ... hmmm cool:biggrin:... #random but...have you been to New Zealand? I hope they get back to you soon with a yes, good luck:smile:
Original post by Syedishtyaq
I just got an email the other day saying that there is a few delays youll know by end of this month

that's good to know :biggrin: thank you!... what did they say in the e-mail!?
Original post by Quantum2123
So you're originally from Australia, awesome XD ... ohhh lol fun times :L :biggrin: ... hmmm cool:biggrin:... #random but...have you been to New Zealand? I hope they get back to you soon with a yes, good luck:smile:

No, before I left Australia I hadn't left my home state for more than 2 hours :tongue: If you've applied I hope they do the same for you (unless they already have :shakecane:) :biggrin:
No, before I left Australia I hadn't left my home state for more than 2 hours :tongue: If you've applied I hope they do the same for you (unless they already have :shakecane:) :biggrin:

omg XD yeh I did apply but I haven't heard anything yet ... I was just asking because of the hobbit and LOTR:L .... tell me if you here anything C: :biggrin:

omg XD yeh I did apply but I haven't heard anything yet ... I was just asking because of the hobbit and LOTR:L .... tell me if you here anything C: :biggrin:
Original post by Andaxay
Sort of, my co-ordinator gave me contact details for a possible placement and I e-mailed my future supervisor to ask if I could do a placement. We sorted out dates then I found out my starting time when I went to the induction day, but I think that's generally something you have to discuss with your supervisor on the project at the placement, haha.

ohhh okay thanks :biggrin:
I got an email! :awesome:

"I hope to get back to you all in the next two weeks."

:colonhash:
Do you get paid I can't remember? I got a placement (don't really know anything about it though waiting for an email)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I did it last year in Glasgow uni its fun .
You'll write up a report ,you'll attent prestigious places and will be awarded prizes.

But make sure you are going to have time for anything you want to do like ukcat work experience etc If you're going to apply to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oxmaster
I did it last year in Glasgow uni its fun .
You'll write up a report ,you'll attent prestigious places and will be awarded prizes.

But make sure you are going to have time for anything you want to do like ukcat work experience etc If you're going to apply to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I've got a place too but I really need to know if you get paid or not to know if I need to look for a part time job or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Don't think so no, but you can apply for the bursary if you're eligible i.e income threshold, free school meals, things like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mendel
Don't think so no, but you can apply for the bursary if you're eligible i.e income threshold, free school meals, things like that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanking you! Just had to check haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received an offer for a placement today!
Original post by sunandstars
I received an offer for a placement today!

Well done :smile: what region are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by awesome_egg
Thankyouuuuuu :biggrin: and a day before the deadline haha, literally only discovered it the day before the deadline, 14 March, :smile: i had to write the personal statement the night before I sent it off :colondollar: then I got an i email inviting me to an interview on the 7th April, and I got a reply today :biggrin: they said they'll inform all applicants by the 9th May, so I wasn't expecting the reply so soon :smile:

what sorts of things did they ask you in the interview?:smile:
Reply 55
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Hey I've got a place too but I really need to know if you get paid or not to know if I need to look for a part time job or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did they ask you in the interview? :smile:
Reply 56
guys i missed the initial deadline for my region (yorkshire and humberside) which was 31st march as i couldnt get my teacher reference in on time, however I recently thought about it and checked the website ( i have no idea why but im so thankful i did) and i turns out the deadline has been extended until tommorow (22nd may) i was wondering if the reason they extended it so long is because they didnt have many applicants? do you think this would be the reason? i obviously have now applied, which is crazy i cant believe my luck!
BUT i was wondering what type of things do they ask in the interview annddd if you dont mind me asking what types of gcse grades did you get/ what are you predicted :colondollar: just so i know if i stand a chance! any answers would be greatly appreciated I will cry if i dont get a place!

my gcses are kinda low (i think?) with 1 A* (geog) 4 a's ( business studies and triple science) 3 b's (maths and the 2 englishes) and 2 c's ( french and drama oops :colondollar:)

i am predicted 4 bs at as with geography, maths, chemistry, and biology
(also general studies) idk if these are low but hopefully if they are the extended deadline means theres not many applicants? CARE TO SHED ANY LIGTH GUYS? :biggrin:
I got an email! :awesome:

"I hope to get back to you all in the next two weeks."

:colonhash:

lol XD MangoFreak:L ... heard anything else? finally I got an e-mail yesterday which said I managed to get a placement in chemistry :')
Original post by jessocx
guys i missed the initial deadline for my region (yorkshire and humberside) which was 31st march as i couldnt get my teacher reference in on time, however I recently thought about it and checked the website ( i have no idea why but im so thankful i did) and i turns out the deadline has been extended until tommorow (22nd may) i was wondering if the reason they extended it so long is because they didnt have many applicants? do you think this would be the reason? i obviously have now applied, which is crazy i cant believe my luck!
BUT i was wondering what type of things do they ask in the interview annddd if you dont mind me asking what types of gcse grades did you get/ what are you predicted :colondollar: just so i know if i stand a chance! any answers would be greatly appreciated I will cry if i dont get a place!

my gcses are kinda low (i think?) with 1 A* (geog) 4 a's ( business studies and triple science) 3 b's (maths and the 2 englishes) and 2 c's ( french and drama oops :colondollar:)

(also general studies) idk if these are low but hopefully if they are the extended deadline means theres not many applicants? CARE TO SHED ANY LIGTH GUYS? :biggrin:

Hey :smile: in my region I didn't get an interview but just yesterday I got an e-mail saying I got a placement in chemistry:biggrin: my first choice was biomedical science and my last choice was chem, but boy am I glad to have received it :') .. and woahhh hold on those grades are epic!!!! .. I got 7 As and 4 Bs and they only ask for like 5 Bs on the page where it says if you are eligible or not for the placement so noooooo worries there !! ... for as levels I am predicted ABB ..but I personally believe I will get around an ABC :smile: so don't worry ... if you are enthusiastic and are able to communicate your enthusiasm and love for science you will be sure to get it , good luck, I really hope it goes well for you :smile:
Original post by jessocx

I got an email from a professor today, after no interview. I applied ages ago (ok well I think it feels longer than it actually was), but anyway, I didn't think I'd get a placement. I got 7A*s, 2As and a B, but your grades are awesome so honestly now you'll have no troubles (not meant to sound patronising! :tongue:)
Anyway, best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply