The Student Room Group

Studying GDL without a TC

Hi! I've currently got two offers to study the GDL from the Col.of Law and BPP. However, I know that people, especially on these boards, say it is inadvisable to study for the GDL without securing a TC. My friends, on the other hand, say that being in an that kind of environment would help me make a more informed choice and open a lot of doors as well as give me a lot more opportunities to boost my CV.

I know that law firms recruit two years in advance and a recruitment year has just passed, so do you think it would be advisable to take a gap year between my undergraduate year and the GDL? A friend, who studies Law, and has relatives who are lawyers, says that if anything I shouldn't take a gap year between the GDL or LPC because firms do not like this. But I don't think I'll be able to secure a TC next year, or even any VAC schemes, and I don't want to ask my parents to give me such a large amount of money.

I think I'm getting myself in a state over this and I can't help but feel anxious over my future. It's really stressing me out and I because of how contentious it seems to pursue the GDL without a TC I'm wondering if I should study it at all. I would really love a new perspective on this as I think my friends are tired of my anxieties.

Thank you for reading!
Original post by coke_addict2010
Hi! I've currently got two offers to study the GDL from the Col.of Law and BPP. However, I know that people, especially on these boards, say it is inadvisable to study for the GDL without securing a TC. My friends, on the other hand, say that being in an that kind of environment would help me make a more informed choice and open a lot of doors as well as give me a lot more opportunities to boost my CV.

I know that law firms recruit two years in advance and a recruitment year has just passed, so do you think it would be advisable to take a gap year between my undergraduate year and the GDL? A friend, who studies Law, and has relatives who are lawyers, says that if anything I shouldn't take a gap year between the GDL or LPC because firms do not like this. But I don't think I'll be able to secure a TC next year, or even any VAC schemes, and I don't want to ask my parents to give me such a large amount of money.

I think I'm getting myself in a state over this and I can't help but feel anxious over my future. It's really stressing me out and I because of how contentious it seems to pursue the GDL without a TC I'm wondering if I should study it at all. I would really love a new perspective on this as I think my friends are tired of my anxieties.

Thank you for reading!

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I am currently on a gap year and it is really good. I can spend lots of time building my CV and applying for TCs/ vac schemes. It really isn't worth getting too upset about the decision. If you work hard and spend time on it you should do fine either way. I personally didn't see the benefit of doing the GDL without a TC lined up.

Also recruitment hasn't passed... you can still apply direct for TCs. It is harder without vac schemes but not impossible.
I would say don't do it without a TC.

Defer it and try to gain working experience and also, if you can, do something that is likely to differentiate you from other candidates applying for TCs provided that you already have the necessary requirements for applications.

You haven't mentioned anything about the type of law firms you are focusing on. Magic/Silver Circle, high street? Also, what are your academics and ECs like?
Original post by GrandPessimist
I would say don't do it without a TC.

Defer it and try to gain working experience and also, if you can, do something that is likely to differentiate you from other candidates applying for TCs provided that you already have the necessary requirements for applications.

You haven't mentioned anything about the type of law firms you are focusing on. Magic/Silver Circle, high street? Also, what are your academics and ECs like?

I think the type of Law firms that I would want to apply to are mid-sized ones in London. I'm really not interested in the Magic Circle firms, but I might apply to some Silver circle ones.I'm not sure if my academics are good. I'm currently at Warwick studying English, I have 3 As at A -Level and have gotten a 2:1 in my first and second year. However, my GCSEs aren't great - 4A*s 3As and 2Bs. I also got a 2:2 in one of my modules in my second year. I haven't many ECs but I'm planning to build these up with volunteering stuff over this summer.
I think the type of Law firms that I would want to apply to are mid-sized ones in London. I'm really not interested in the Magic Circle firms, but I might apply to some Silver circle ones.I'm not sure if my academics are good. I'm currently at Warwick studying English, I have 3 As at A -Level and have gotten a 2:1 in my first and second year. However, my GCSEs aren't great - 4A*s 3As and 2Bs. I also got a 2:2 in one of my modules in my second year. I haven't many ECs but I'm planning to build these up with volunteering stuff over this summer.

I think your academics are very good and you definitely have good chances. After all, if you don't have any chance, what chances do some of us have that have worse A-levels? I wouldn't worry way too much about the 2.2 in your second year. It can happen and now there is nothing you can do about that. If your other grades are high 2.1s then I think they might not be bothered by the 2.2 and if you can get a 1st then even better!

I'd say try to gain work experience and do stuff that can enhance your chances and then apply to all the firms you might be interested without thinking that your GCSEs or that 2.2 may be red flags for them. You have nothing to lose and you never know what will happen...

Have you been to any career fairs or contacted any law firms at all? Generally, here at the Student Room, people give good advice and some work as solicitors or barristers, but in the end, we all speak from experience and one person's experience is different from another person's experience, so the best way to go, I think, is that you get in touch with the law firms you're interested in and ask them directly.

Explain your situation and tell them you think some of the grades might not be as good as they should be and ask them directly what are your chances.

GOOD LUCK!
Original post by GrandPessimist
I think your academics are very good and you definitely have good chances. After all, if you don't have any chance, what chances do some of us have that have worse A-levels? I wouldn't worry way too much about the 2.2 in your second year. It can happen and now there is nothing you can do about that. If your other grades are high 2.1s then I think they might not be bothered by the 2.2 and if you can get a 1st then even better!

I'd say try to gain work experience and do stuff that can enhance your chances and then apply to all the firms you might be interested without thinking that your GCSEs or that 2.2 may be red flags for them. You have nothing to lose and you never know what will happen...

Have you been to any career fairs or contacted any law firms at all? Generally, here at the Student Room, people give good advice and some work as solicitors or barristers, but in the end, we all speak from experience and one person's experience is different from another person's experience, so the best way to go, I think, is that you get in touch with the law firms you're interested in and ask them directly.

Explain your situation and tell them you think some of the grades might not be as good as they should be and ask them directly what are your chances.

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you so much for your reply! I think I will take your advice and phone up some law firms to get that some insight on my application. So would I literally just have to phone up their offices and asked to put through their HR department, or just e-mail them? e.g. if I was interested in Herbies would I phone/e-mail their London offices?

In regards to doing the GDL, I think will continue to pursue it next year, even without a TC, despite it being such a controversial decision. I think studying the GDL would give me more knowledge about the type of law I might want to go into, plus I could take advantage of their careers service and pro-bono opportunities. I might, however, decide to take a gap year between my GDL and LPC since I would rather have a firm pay for that qualification.
Thank you so much for your reply! I think I will take your advice and phone up some law firms to get that some insight on my application. So would I literally just have to phone up their offices and asked to put through their HR department, or just e-mail them? e.g. if I was interested in Herbies would I phone/e-mail their London offices?

In regards to doing the GDL, I think will continue to pursue it next year, even without a TC, despite it being such a controversial decision. I think studying the GDL would give me more knowledge about the type of law I might want to go into, plus I could take advantage of their careers service and pro-bono opportunities. I might, however, decide to take a gap year between my GDL and LPC since I would rather have a firm pay for that qualification.

There are so many people studying the GDL who don't have training contracts lined up. Out of my workshop group of around 20, only three of us have TCs. As you rightly say studying the GDL could make you realise what area of law you want to go into and offer you opportunities you might not have already had for work experience and advice from the careers service. Friends on the course who haven't got TCs have found the careers service really helpful when they've been writing applications and having interviews. Do what you feel is right for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending