The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Software Engineering anyone?

I have an offer for software engineering at BU and I'm most likely going to accept it and I was wondering anyone about that's doing this course?
Reply 1
I am!

If it's the same as last year you will be placed on the framework first. Every computing student (business, hacking) will be on that framework and it will give you a good introduction to the courses. In your first year you cover basic programming concepts (we code in Java here) and at the end of your first year you will make your own simple program with a GUI.

Second year is where it gets interesting as you can now choose your path. If you still choose Software Engineering you'll be coding the back-ends of websites (PHP, AJAX) and creating mobile applications (we only create for android as it uses Java which we learnt from the first year).

I'm currently just about to finish my first year. I've really enjoyed it here so far, and Bournemouth in general is a great place to be! One thing to point out, the Computing courses have a LOT of coursework. Also, we learn web in the first year but the way it's taught isn't that great, so learning a bit of HTML and CSS before you turn up would be another huge plus.

There's quite a bit to cover with the Computing courses as we do a lot, so feel free ask anything I've missed!
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by jaxxy94
I am!

If it's the same as last year you will be placed on the framework first. Every computing student (business, hacking) will be on that framework and it will give you a good introduction to the courses. In your first year you cover basic programming concepts (we code in Java here) and at the end of your first year you will make your own simple program with a GUI.

Second year is where it gets interesting as you can now choose your path. If you still choose Software Engineering you'll be coding the back-ends of websites (PHP, AJAX) and creating mobile applications (we only create for android as it uses Java which we learnt from the first year).

I'm currently just about to finish my first year. I've really enjoyed it here so far, and Bournemouth in general is a great place to be! One thing to point out, the Computing courses have a LOT of coursework. Also, we learn web in the first year but the way it's taught isn't that great, so learning a bit of HTML and CSS before you turn up would be another huge plus.

There's quite a bit to cover with the Computing courses as we do a lot, so feel free ask anything I've missed!

Hi jaxxy94, I'm starting the Computing course this year at Bournemouth and I was wondering if there are any exams? I saw on the unistats website that there are exams but you didn't mention anything about them in your post.
Original post by jaxxy94
Also, we learn web in the first year but the way it's taught isn't that great, so learning a bit of HTML and CSS before you turn up would be another huge plus.

That's odd, it seemed to be taught fine the year before last (they may have changed the lecturer?). If you bring it up at the student rep meetings it should get addressed; the point of the meetings are to look for ways to improve the course after all, and they usually have a good turnaround time too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by iisjman07
That's odd, it seemed to be taught fine the year before last (they may have changed the lecturer?). If you bring it up at the student rep meetings it should get addressed; the point of the meetings are to look for ways to improve the course after all, and they usually have a good turnaround time too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me, I bring it up enough in the student rep meetings and the teacher concerned has now started to understand our problem and is working with a few of us to make next years course smoother.

Quick Reply

Latest