The Student Room Group

Major Cuts and Limits to DSA starting in 2015

I'm not sure enough people are reading the thread created by NJones:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2643560

To my eyes, that reads like DSA will be limited to all but the most seriously-impaired students, and will cover a very limited range of assistance. Assessment and support provision for students with lower impact problems are being pushed onto unis, who don't have the staff or funds to deal with it.

Any comments?
Reply 1
Updated information.

The higher education sector were informed on Monday by Minister for Universities, David Willetts that the qualifying parameters for Disabled Students Allowance are to be narrowed significantly.

This narrowing will mean that approximately 60% of those disabled students currently in receipt of funding for support during their degree would no longer be eligible under the proposed framework. It is vital we sign this petition to ensure that the skills/education gap between disabled and non-disabled people does not widen further than it already is.

Many thanks indeed
(edited 10 years ago)
I have just had a read of that thread. Pretty disgusting stuff from the government. My DSA has been a god send, and I was never given some souped-up iMac, MacBook Pro etc. Future students are going to struggle if those cuts go ahead. The UK government spends £76 Million on DSA, not exactly a lot of money really, considering how much money they waste on other things (East Coast franchise fiasco for example).

Quick Reply

Latest