The Student Room Group

MSc in London, general information

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kevin.bass
Unfortunatelly no

Then unfortunately your chances are slim.
Reply 21
Original post by nunugab
Then unfortunately your chances are slim.

:frown: , for all universities in london?
Here is the admission statistics for Imperial: https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/planning/Public/stats_card/Stats%20Guide%202012-13.pdf

Page 8 has the stats for business school.

It doesn't say what the average grade is, but the admission ratio is 7.3:1 (13.7%), so while it's slightly easier than engineering, it's definitely not a walk in the park.

Here is the list of international entry requirements for business school:
http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/international-entry/

For Canada it says
A Bachelor’s degree awarded with a minimum final overall GPA of between 3.1/4 or 78% and 3.4/4 or 84% is required, depending on the university's ranking.
Note that that's minimum requirements, so the average admitted candidates are probably quite a bit higher than that. They would probably only admit people near the minimums if they have extensive experience.
Reply 24
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Here is the admission statistics for Imperial: https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/planning/Public/stats_card/Stats%20Guide%202012-13.pdf

Page 8 has the stats for business school.

It doesn't say what the average grade is, but the admission ratio is 7.3:1 (13.7%), so while it's slightly easier than engineering, it's definitely not a walk in the park.

Here is the list of international entry requirements for business school:
http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/international-entry/

For Canada it says

thank you, the links were really userful. I guess my chances to get into Imperial are almost 0.:frown:
But all universities have similar requirement, so Im really worried not to get in any good MSc program
Yeah it looks like all the universities in London are pretty competitive especially UCL and ICL.

Have you looked elsewhere in the UK?
Reply 26
Yeah it looks like all the universities in London are pretty competitive especially UCL and ICL.

Have you looked elsewhere in the UK?

Not really. But I think that the requirement are pretty much the same. Do you know less competitive courses? or anything about CASS?
I don't know about CASS, but UCL and ICL are almost the most competitive schools in the UK, almost as competitive as Cambridge/Oxford (and I heard more competitive in some courses).
Reply 28
I don't know about CASS, but UCL and ICL are almost the most competitive schools in the UK, almost as competitive as Cambridge/Oxford (and I heard more competitive in some courses).

I understand, thanks.

I didn't think it would be so hard to get into a MSc degree
Reply 29
Anyway you can still apply, it's up to you. I actually think you have a chance, keep in mind you come from a very good Uni. Also don't worry about your lack of professional experience, during their bachelor degree many students didn't have the opportunity to do an internship perfectly related to their future MSc.
Reply 30
thank you, the links were really userful. I guess my chances to get into Imperial are almost 0.:frown:
But all universities have similar requirement, so Im really worried not to get in any good MSc program

There are plenty of universities outside London, I suggest you take a look.

Aston, which is very good for that area of study, has very low entry requirements:http://www.aston.ac.uk/aston-business-school/programmes/postgraduate/msc-programmes/msc-finance-investments/

You could also have a look at Leeds, Nottingham and Exeter to name just a few.
Reply 31
Cass takes most applicants with a pulse who can pay, less selective than ICL, UCL, LSE. It is a bit of a degree mill with 20 + MScs. Sometimes if you enquire on a popular course, Cass will direct you to a less popular one (new MSc).

You get excellent MSc outside London with better value for money.

Not really. But I think that the requirement are pretty much the same. Do you know less competitive courses? or anything about CASS?
Reply 32
Original post by jojohn
Anyway you can still apply, it's up to you. I actually think you have a chance, keep in mind you come from a very good Uni. Also don't worry about your lack of professional experience, during their bachelor degree many students didn't have the opportunity to do an internship perfectly related to their future MSc.

Yeah, I'am thinking in applying. But I don't want to go all the troubles (essays, transcript, reference) if I know that I don't have any chances. So, I'am looking at other universities in London, but they are all very competitive.
Reply 33
Original post by Tcannon
Cass takes most applicants with a pulse who can pay, less selective than ICL, UCL, LSE. It is a bit of a degree mill with 20 + MScs. Sometimes if you enquire on a popular course, Cass will direct you to a less popular one (new MSc).

You get excellent MSc outside London with better value for money.

Thanks, didn't know. I will look at CASS; by looking at my profile do you think I have any chances?
Reply 34
Original post by redferry
There are plenty of universities outside London, I suggest you take a look.

Aston, which is very good for that area of study, has very low entry requirements:http://www.aston.ac.uk/aston-business-school/programmes/postgraduate/msc-programmes/msc-finance-investments/

You could also have a look at Leeds, Nottingham and Exeter to name just a few.

Yeah, I know. But I prefer London because I won't need to find a place to stay.
Reply 35

For Canada it says

A Bachelor’s degree awarded with a minimum final overall GPA of between 3.1/4 or 78% and 3.4/4 or 84% is required, depending on the university's ranking.

I genuinely wonder how they comparatively calculate the GPA system with that of the percentage system (?)
GPA is defined as percentages (3.1 = 78%, etc), but there are multiple systems in use, and it's just very confusing in general.

Not sure who came up with that idea, but it's bad. Why convert percentages to GPA, when we already have percentages? Just to lose some accuracy?

When I applied to the UK (I am Canadian), I just used unconverted percentage, and ICL was fine with that. The GPAs given are probably just rough guidelines.
Reply 37
Yeah, I know. But I prefer London because I won't need to find a place to stay.

Well then I suppose you could apply to a slightly lower reputation university.

Maybe tale a look at Brunel, Birkbeck, Queen Mary or Westminster.
Reply 38
GPA is defined as percentages (3.1 = 78%, etc), but there are multiple systems in use, and it's just very confusing in general.

Not sure who came up with that idea, but it's bad. Why convert percentages to GPA, when we already have percentages? Just to lose some accuracy?

When I applied to the UK (I am Canadian), I just used unconverted percentage, and ICL was fine with that. The GPAs given are probably just rough guidelines.

what was your average?
what was your average?

~85%, which is pretty low for my program, but I had a lot of practical experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending