The Student Room Group

What are you hoping to get at GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BCMFM16
It is a course. Since most people develop in mental ability during it. That's why we refer studies at universities as courses as you are going to move on after it like GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

'GCSE' isn't a course. Further Mathematics is. AS Physics is a 1 year course. As such, 'A-Level' isn't.
Reply 21
Aiming for 11 A*

But realistically I won't be surprised to get 9 A* and 2 A. I'm really crap at history and the computing coursework is doing my head in. Hoping for no Bs, shouldn't get one.
Reply 22
Original post by JAIYEKO
'GCSE' isn't a course. Further Mathematics is. AS Physics is a 1 year course. As such, 'A-Level' isn't.

Each individual GCSE subject is a course in its own right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by KongShou
Aiming for 11 A*

But realistically I won't be surprised to get 9 A* and 2 A. I'm really crap at history and the computing coursework is doing my head in. Hoping for no Bs, shouldn't get one.

Need to work harder at History. That A will not get you into Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Arieisit

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSE's don't mean anything at Oxbridge. Get 4A*'s at A-Level then you're sorted
Reply 25
I want 11 A-A* grades, but it's looking likely that i'll only get about 3/4. The rest should be B's and C's though. :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by JAIYEKO
GCSE's don't mean anything at Oxbridge. Get 4A*'s at A-Level then you're sorted

Tell that to Oxford then. Don't say anything if you don't know what you're talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
C in my gcse English (School will only put me in for foundation as i was unable to sit it when i was 16)

As for my current studies.

D*D* on my 90 credit Btec, Guarenteed.

And 2 B's on my a-levels self taught.
C and I'll be abit guttered.
B I'm happy and meet my grades.
A I'll actually pass out considering I've done all this is 4 months lol.
Reply 28
My mum went to St Hilda's at Oxford to do Mechanical maths. She got 12As at O level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
4A*s (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Statistics) , 3As (English lit, History, Biology, French-but will probably be a B) and 2Bs (Music and Photography)
Reply 30
Original post by easyastau
4A*s (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Statistics) , 3As (English lit, History, Biology, French-but will probably be a B) and 2Bs (Music and Photography)

Don't you do English language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by nurav11
That's a ridiculous statement to make, if anything GCSEs mean more at Oxbridge/Russell Group unis as a tiebreaker between similar candidates

There is something called 'A-Levels'. You probably failed at them or haven't done it. Check out the entrance requirements at Oxford's website. Do they mention anything about GCSE's?

Get 15A*'s GCSE's and 3C's at A-Level and see how you'll get into Oxbridge without bribing them like a football team with a refree.
Reply 32
Original post by BCMFM16
Don't you do English language?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did it in November
Reply 33
Original post by Arieisit

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing. lol Im sure the A shouldn't kill off my chance completely. Im aiming for Cambridge, who are more lenient(?) about GCSEs?
Reply 34
I'd like a mimimum of 5A*s 3As 3Bs.. i will be severely dissapointed with less than 3A*s and any thing less than a B..
2 A* - English language and RS
7 A's - Biology, geography, chemistry, maths, history, English literature, PE
2 B's - Physics / Human health and physiology

Ugh, I hate physics and history.
Reply 36
Original post by easyastau
I did it in November

My school dont let us do that! So annoying... You'll get an A in French- it easy. But I think I'll struggle to get an A* in physics :-S

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by BCMFM16
My school dont let us do that! So annoying... You'll get an A in French- it easy. But I think I'll struggle to get an A* in physics :-S

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only a few people who could definitely get the grade were allowed to do it.

I'm hoping I'll get those grades, music I wouldn't be too bothered about but I really want to get an A* in physics and chemistry. I think it will be core that lets me down (for some reason) on all the past papers I've done I've got 4/5 off full marks for additional and further but only just into an A* in core :frown:
Original post by nurav11
That's a ridiculous statement to make, if anything GCSEs mean more at Oxbridge/Russell Group unis as a tiebreaker between similar candidates

TBH, A Levels are much more important and even for GCSEs (unless you wanna do Medicine or something similar) it is only the grades for your most relevant subjects that really count.

IIRC it is mainly Oxford who places a greater emphasis on excellent GCSEs (and even then people can still get in, IIRC there is someone on here that goes to Oxford with 1A*) whereas Cambridge seem to be mainly focused on excellent A Level results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by nurav11

:lol: you got a lot to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest