The Student Room Group

What are you hoping to get at GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

I'd be happy with 5 A*s and 5 As, but I may get a B in Drama. I am aiming for 7 or 8 A*s, though. I can't do Latin or Biology to save my life, but have been working hard on Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by nurav11
Well yes but it wont mean much to you, there was a boy couple of years ago who applied to study medicine at Cambridge but despite having a fantastic profile [according to my school], he was rejected based on him getting a B in English Lit. Take that what you will but I would be inclined to believe my school.

That's not proof. It's just a statement
Reply 62
Original post by LiviL97
I'd like all a's but not gonna happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

The topic of this thread has gone completely away from this original topic.
Anyway shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land among the stars- one of my favourite quotes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Hoping to get 3 A*'s, 3 A's and 2 B's.
Reply 64
Original post by majmuh24
Top lel. Smells like BS to me.

Either his profile wasn't as fantastic as they first thought or he didn't do that well in his interview/test, but I can't believe that with good BMAT and A Level results along with a good interview, he would be rejected just because of a single B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I said, take it what you will. Idk what went on there but I'm telling you what they told me. Altho I do accept that the school could have exaggerated to motivate us for GCSEs so there could have been some other problem. Either way, GCSEs are defo looked at as A factor, that's all I'm saying.
Reply 65
Original post by BCMFM16
The topic of this thread has gone completely away from this original topic.
Anyway shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land among the stars- one of my favourite quotes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry about that :s-smilie:, was just trying to make a point.
Reply 66
Original post by nurav11
Sorry about that :s-smilie:, was just trying to make a point :smile:

It's fine we've all got to let it all someway or another /-) <-- emo smiley face

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by nurav11
Sorry about that :s-smilie:, was just trying to make a point.

None of the points you've made are clear.
Reply 68
Original post by JAIYEKO
None of the points you've made are clear.

My point is simple, Universities [particularly the top ones] look at GCSE grades as one of the factors in deciding an offer, that's all.
Reply 69
Original post by JAIYEKO
GCSE's don't mean anything at Oxbridge. Get 4A*'s at A-Level then you're sorted

apart from the fact that assuming you apply for Uni in your A2 year you will only have AS grades so the max you could have is 4 As and some good UMS :tongue:
Original post by Arieisit
10A*'s or you've done poorly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't tell whether you're joking... So just to be on the safe side hahaha very funny
Top lel. Smells like BS to me.

Either his profile wasn't as fantastic as they first thought or he didn't do that well in his interview/test, but I can't believe that with good BMAT and A Level results along with a good interview, he would be rejected just because of a single B.

Either way, it's just anecdotal evidence and hardly the most reliable indicator of events. I doubt your school would know better than a qualified Cambridge Admissions Tutor anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

umm well our school loves to push us for Russell group unis but they told us good gcses is a good back up for good a levels. However, when my friend asked a professor at the cambridge university about GCSEs and this was for studying science at degree level he said they would like someone with at least 8 A*s. Take from it what you will. I didn't know what to think and I still don't but the majority who get in for degrees like medicine and sciences tend to have a lot of A*s. As for my sixth form they have had an average of 40 Oxbridge offers per year and their GCSEs are pretty damn good so I don't know
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
umm well our school loves to push us for Russell group unis but they told us good gcses is a good back up for good a levels. However, when my friend asked a professor at the cambridge university about GCSEs and this was for studying science at degree level he said they would like someone with at least 8 A*s. Take from it what you will. I didn't know what to think and I still don't but the majority who get in for degrees like medicine and sciences tend to have a lot of A*s. As for my sixth form they have had an average of 40 Oxbridge offers per year and their GCSEs are pretty damn good so I don't know

IIRC, there's someone on here does Maths at Oxford and got 1A* :tongue:. I'm not quite sure it works like that, the aptitude test and interview are much more important for whatever you're doing, and GCSEs are only really important for Medicine (what I've been told by my school).

I'm not saying that they're not important at all, just that they're not very important when compared to other factors. But still, you should always try and do the best you can :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73

Thats the kind of grades we were told we had to achieve too! Its basically what ive been trying to say this whole thread...
Reply 74
IIRC, there's someone on here does Maths at Oxford and got 1A* :tongue:. I'm not quite sure it works like that, the aptitude test and interview are much more important for whatever you're doing, and GCSEs are only really important for Medicine (what I've been told by my school).

I'm not saying that they're not important at all, just that they're not very important when compared to other factors. But still, you should always try and do the best you can :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree with you here :smile:
Original post by nurav11
Thats the kind of grades we were told we had to achieve too! Its basically what ive been trying to say this whole thread...

Do you go to a grammar school by any chance? Because, in my experience, and I may be wrong- they are all like that
Reply 76
Do you go to a grammar school by any chance? Because, in my experience, and I may be wrong- they are all like that

Private, but I think its a very similar kind of mantra, wbu?
Reply 77
Private boys school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by BCMFM16
Private boys school

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind if I ask which one? :rolleyes:

I go to St Pauls btw
Original post by nurav11
Private, but I think its a very similar kind of mantra, wbu?

Yeah all girls grammar. I think it depends on the type of private school. Some are really good while in others you're just paying for holidays and for teachers to ignore that someone's redone your skirt so it's more like a belt. Tbh there are some bad grammar schools too I am just lucky I got into a good one (despite the ugly building and the teachers constantly on look out for bad uniforms)

Quick Reply

Latest