The Student Room Group

full-time work & HE

Anybody out there studying full-time and fitting a full-time job around it? Just looking for that kind of people, don't tell me its impossible
Reply 1
It's possible. My friend works full time and she's studying pure mathematics at the same time. Usually she spends over 70hrs per week out, either at uni or at work. No idea how she does it though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Someone on my Masters course had done a full-time undergrad degree whilst working full time. It took a lot of negotiating flexible hours with her employer and the uni was unusually understanding about her not being able to attend a significant number of lectures.

If it was just down to individual effort and hours put in, then it's definitely possible. However it might require negotiating terms with organisations and people who may not be sympathetic. It depends on your particular circumstances.
Reply 3
I'll be doing this from September, it will kill me, but it's only for two years 😸

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I worked full time and did academic studies (Access course). It is not impossible, but it is very hard and tiring so you have to he determined and motivated. I used to revise and do all my assignments before work and after work, and also spend all my time doing it at the weekend. Whenever I had upcoming exams, I booked a few days off work as holiday so I can get revision in. Its all paid off as I am going to uni in Sept! :smile: Good luck, and you can do it!
Well you be risking your physical and mental health and also you have a high risk of developing high blood pressure, stress, burn out and heart problems as well as low immunity.

Plus you don't want to end getting low grades because of exhaustion, lack of concentration, poor judgement and other health issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by iloveteddy14
Well you be risking your physical and mental health and also you have a high risk of developing high blood pressure, stress, burn out and heart problems as well as low immunity.

Plus you don't want to end getting low grades because of exhaustion, lack of concentration, poor judgement and other health issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would love not to have to work, but unfortunately if I don't, then I would lose my home, that in itself would be even more stressful. Needs must and all that !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Flexibility is key, although if you can set your shifts around lectures it is possible. Depending on your uni you probably will only receive your timetable for the year a few days before you start and it will of course change every year.
It also depends on your course I have only 10contact hours pw but some of my friends have 30.
So keep to a set amount of hours and always plan ahead I mean you may less contact hours and lectures one term and then a lot nxt so make sure your company at flexible and keep thinking of that dream ahead.

The stuff I was mentioning to beforehand was because I was in that boat all those years ago and I literally felt like I was slowly killing myself and it took my manager Peng whose a nurse to literally save my life she said that my blood pressure extremely high despite constantly exercising and doing activities. Now I am 27 and paying for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I don't study full-time but I am doing a distance learning MBA and I have a full-time job.

I kind of study at half pace to suit my own schedule but theoretically I could study full-time if I wanted. It's all up to me. It's a distance learning Masters awarded by Anglia Ruskin University through RDI.

When I studied my degree at Cov Uni I worked 20 hours per week at Tesco and that was manageable - in fact I could've took more hours at work but it needs to fit around your lectures / seminars so could be tricky.

Distance learning might be your best option.
Reply 10
Hello OP, yes it is possible! IMO, it's just very important that you choose the right course and plan your study time.

I am also a distance learning student - I'm studying for a business degree. When I started the course, I worked full time and I'm also a single parent. I've found that as long as I stick to my study timetable and manage my time efficiently, I can achieve good grades, enjoy the course and avoid becoming too stressed!

The benefit of distance learning is that you can study whenever and wherever you want to so it's really easy to fit it in around other commitments such as work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never thought I'd say my employer's right but I have to now. We work with a rule "believe in all people". You seem to not believe in any possible positive outcome. I'm a very determined person, never got anything the easy way, have worked hard all my life and if I stop now I won't be able to put food on the table. I have never struggled for good grades. What I'm looking for is advice from people like that, not a list of all the things that can go wrong.
Perhaps I don't want you to make the same mistake as me. I was a few years ago really determined wanting to everything but I paid with my health.
So stick to a set amount of hours for both study and work, try not to get into the mentality of starting with 15hours then 20, 25,30,40 and basically increasing all the time. To me it was an addiction and I literally thrived for pure stress

Posted from TSR Mobile
But you will get the positive outcome

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps I don't want you to make the same mistake as me. I was a few years ago really determined wanting to everything but I paid with my health.
So stick to a set amount of hours for both study and work, try not to get into the mentality of starting with 15hours then 20, 25,30,40 and basically increasing all the time. To me it was an addiction and I literally thrived for pure stress

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your input, but I don't think you realise that there is people out there who are in a REALLY bad financial situation and will either keep working or won't live long enough to finish uni. I'm on my own with all my expenses, got nobody to help and can't get any grants or maintenance loans. My lifetime savings only lasted me 2 months with all the bills and that's how long I couldn't find a job for (with being out there to look for it every day). THAT was the most stressful time of my life. Not knowing if you'll have enough to pay your rent and put food on the table next week IS the most stressful thing. I know I can make this happen and I plan to work 30 hours a week (talked to my manager, can do that in 3 days). I'll do it anyway. I'm just looking for similar people and what they have to say, like a lot of them have done on here. Thanks guys for sharing your stories/opinions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending