The Student Room Group

Do Mature students do as well?

Hiya, I'm wanting to find some stats for how well mature students do at university compared to 'normal' students. Anybody have any ideas where I can find this?
Reply 1
In my experience yes.
Reply 2
In my experience, no.
Reply 3
I don't think. You can generalise. All the group I study with have just achieved high grades. But we all love our subject.
Reply 4
What do you define as 'normal' what a silly question.
I don't think that the age matters it's about how you apply yourself and work towards the degree. I'm just finishing an access course at the moment and I'm almost the oldest person on the course. I've achieved all distinctions in my modules and completed several additional modules. The other people who have mostly distinctions are much younger than me. So I don't think our age has made a difference we're just more focused that some of the others on our course. I think that's what it comes down to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krane
Hiya, I'm wanting to find some stats for how well mature students do at university compared to 'normal' students. Anybody have any ideas where I can find this?

There are a lot of problems with generalising. Firstly for various funding and other reasons the definition of mature student has changed. Traditionally a mature student was someone who left school, worked for several years in a stable environment and then returned to studying. Many of the students now embraced by the definition are people who have had a troubled educational background but have barely left education before becoming a "mature" university student. I wouldn't count someone as a mature student who had not been wholly outside education for 5 years.
Original post by nulli tertius
There are a lot of problems with generalising. Firstly for various funding and other reasons the definition of mature student has changed. Traditionally a mature student was someone who left school, worked for several years in a stable environment and then returned to studying. Many of the students now embraced by the definition are people who have had a troubled educational background but have barely left education before becoming a "mature" university student. I wouldn't count someone as a mature student who had not been wholly outside education for 5 years.

I have to agree. I had been away from education for more than 20 years apart from one other person on my course everyone else has been away for less that 5 years. There are only 11 of us left now but the same applied at the beginning when we had 23 on the course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending