Scroll to see replies

Original post by memoona123456
How did you all find it?

10 marks questions weren't expected!
The Cicero one was very specific !
Original post by platypus1997
10 marks questions weren't expected!
The Cicero one was very specific !

I agree! I though the translation was pretty straightforward and that's 30/100 marks and the 3 mark questions were quite nice too! The final 10 marks asking why you would recommend the poems was just really silly. The Cicero was was okay but I don't know if I made enough points. Last years grade boundaries were around the 80/100 mark for an A. Not sure what everyone feels this grade boundary will be.
I agree! I though the translation was pretty straightforward and that's 30/100 marks and the 3 mark questions were quite nice too! The final 10 marks asking why you would recommend the poems was just really silly. The Cicero was was okay but I don't know if I made enough points. Last years grade boundaries were around the 80/100 mark for an A. Not sure what everyone feels this grade boundary will be.

Looks like our feelings oppose re 10 markers! Thought the Amores one was okay and there was at least a bit you could say about it, but I thought the Cicero was a horrible question, I pretty much ran out of people to talk about! Translations were great though - if the Ovid was 4 lines lower I would have been in deep trouble though, that's my worst section!!!

Thing is with the Latin papers you just don't know if the examiner will think you have explained your content (& style) points well enough, I really hope mine are okay. Gotta say it was my worst exam so far but purely because of that aspect.
This is what I remember from 3 painful years of latin...

Caecillus est in horto, cerberus est mortus
Original post by Advice Guru

And I swear Grumio used to go screwing around young girls, seemed like the right paedo.
Reply 85

Just for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uUmpQod7lI

Yeah it was alright, expected it to be worse but it was ok.
Original post by TelephoneBox
Looks like our feelings oppose re 10 markers! Thought the Amores one was okay and there was at least a bit you could say about it, but I thought the Cicero was a horrible question, I pretty much ran out of people to talk about! Translations were great though - if the Ovid was 4 lines lower I would have been in deep trouble though, that's my worst section!!!

Thing is with the Latin papers you just don't know if the examiner will think you have explained your content (& style) points well enough, I really hope mine are okay. Gotta say it was my worst exam so far but purely because of that aspect.

I just hope I have an A. I'm sure you will have done well :smile: Good luck in the rest of your exams x
I just hope I have an A. I'm sure you will have done well :smile: Good luck in the rest of your exams x

I really hope so too, I will be gutted if I don't because I did work really hard to know the texts. I hope you did well too :biggrin: You too :smile: how many have you got left?
I really hope so too, I will be gutted if I don't because I did work really hard to know the texts. I hope you did well too :biggrin: You too :smile: how many have you got left?

Aww thank you, i hope so too! That was my last one actually. I do Latin , RS English lit and German. Have you got any more left?
Aww thank you, i hope so too! That was my last one actually. I do Latin , RS English lit and German. Have you got any more left?

Nice choices :smile: I have 5 more unfortunately as I do Maths, Further Maths (well this year Maths A2 next year F.Maths A2 - that's why I have so many more exams cos they're a bit later), Latin and Computing :smile:

Are you taking Latin next year?
Nice choices :smile: I have 5 more unfortunately as I do Maths, Further Maths (well this year Maths A2 next year F.Maths A2 - that's why I have so many more exams cos they're a bit later), Latin and Computing :smile:

Are you taking Latin next year?

Ah right! Well, they'll soon be over! Yes I am, I'm carrying on with all four hopefully... Depending on results day :smile: are you dropping it?

Caecillus walks in the garden? Cerberus is dead?

There are some (simple) sentences and phrases which are in my mind:

In dupio pro reo.
Hic rhodos, hic salta!
O tempora, o mores!
Veni, vedi, vici!
Divide et impere
Deo, ut des.
Marcus medicus bonus.
Aurora domina est.

And my favorite of all after I have watched Monty Phyton's life of Brian:

Romani ite domum! :biggrin: (very funny scene!)

Otherwise I'm stumped like you.
Reply 92
Studying Latin at A-level, about as useful as studying the prevalence of myopia in fruit flies.
Ah right! Well, they'll soon be over! Yes I am, I'm carrying on with all four hopefully... Depending on results day :smile: are you dropping it?

Hopefully not if this went fine :smile:
Original post by mildman
Studying Latin at A-level, about as useful as studying the prevalence of myopia in fruit flies.

A shame you didn't say the prevalence of myopic in fruit flies, which is very useful indeed...

Useless, schmuseless. Heaven forbid you study something because it's interesting.

Also transferrable skills highly valued by employers blah blah blah. Frankly I don't give a toss - Latin language is interesting and gives you access to a huge segment of ancient thought in history, philosophy, oratory etc. in a way you can't otherwise have, and you get to study some of that at A level.

Is History A level useless? Is English A level useless?
Reply 95
Original post by BluWacky
A shame you didn't say the prevalence of myopic in fruit flies, which is very useful indeed...

Useless, schmuseless. Heaven forbid you study something because it's interesting.

Also transferrable skills highly valued by employers blah blah blah. Frankly I don't give a toss - Latin language is interesting and gives you access to a huge segment of ancient thought in history, philosophy, oratory etc. in a way you can't otherwise have, and you get to study some of that at A level.

Is History A level useless? Is English A level useless?

I completely agree, that article on myopic is both interesting and useful.

I also appreciate that you find Latin interesting, but if you are going to study a classic, why not Greek, surely that has more links to our literary, philosophical and political traditions than latin, so therefore as well as developing those transferable skills, you also study a language that is a little less dead, yet still allows for the benefits that you find in latin?
Personally thought it was a lovely paper, translations were nice and the Ovid 10 marker was unexpected, but great! Basically just had to say why you liked the poems!

Something I didn't like was the space left for 6 mark questions. I felt quite restricted in my answers and had to go onto extra paper at the back (although then I felt I was writing too much). I'm pretty happy with it tbh, hopes it makes up for the language paper...
Reply 97
Original post by BluWacky

Useless, schmuseless.

Original post by mildman
I completely agree, that article on myopic is both interesting and useful.

I also appreciate that you find Latin interesting, but if you are going to study a classic, why not Greek, surely that has more links to our literary, philosophical and political traditions than latin, so therefore as well as developing those transferable skills, you also study a language that is a little less dead, yet still allows for the benefits that you find in latin?

Well said BluWacky.

I would like to somewhat correct you on the idea that Latin is dead. It is true that it is no longer used as a language within itself and is classed as 'dead' but take a moment to think what a profound impact Latin has had on the English Language. As someone who's just taken the English Language A2 exam I can assure you that being able to identify Latin derivatives for my Latinate Lexis paragraph in the Language Change Over Time section has greatly helped me with my revision and practice papers (I hope this has been continued in my exam paper). David Crystal identified that 1/2 of Modern English stems from Latin and French. Ever wondered why debt and island are spelt that way? It's the influence of the Latin Language. (Plus I'm kinda weird and enjoy finding Latin derivatives in English)

Latin, like Ancient Greek can still teach you a lot about humans and politics. I don't know about everyone else who's just studied the few poems from Ovid's Amores III or even from GCSE Latin Lit, but I've learnt a lot about people. And, yes I suppose I could have gained similar insights from Greek Literature, so why not learn Greek but at the same time why not Latin?
Reply 98
Original post by Tecclesmith
Personally thought it was a lovely paper, translations were nice and the Ovid 10 marker was unexpected, but great! Basically just had to say why you liked the poems!

Something I didn't like was the space left for 6 mark questions. I felt quite restricted in my answers and had to go onto extra paper at the back (although then I felt I was writing too much). I'm pretty happy with it tbh, hopes it makes up for the language paper...

Me too, the language paper was horrible
Original post by mildman

Why is it either/or? I studied both Latin and Greek at A level, then at university, and now teach both of them. Yes, I'm lucky to have had those opportunities - but I don't see why you should only do one.

Classical Ciceronian rhetoric is the foundation of modern political speech giving - far more than Demosthenes or Lysias. While Athens is the home of democracy, it is a mistake to think that we have nothing to learn from the Roman Republic. Philosophy... well, you've got me there, but at least Seneca and Lucretius are interesting, if not as widely read as Aristotle and Plato (not to mention the weirdos like Sextus Empiricus...)

Latin has the obvious advantage that there are more people who can teach it and it is more easily accessible - the grammar isn't as complicated (no optatives, no contracted verbs, "ut" fulfilling the multitudinous roles of words like ὁτι, ὡστε, ἱνα, ὡς etc....) and the alphabet is the same.

Not everyone has the opportunity to study Greek, unfortunately - so just telling people "why not do Greek instead" isn't very helpful when Latin gives a window into a completely different period of Classical thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending