The Student Room Group

What graphs to draw for Statistics Controlled Assessment?

[DELETED]
(edited 3 years ago)
Welcome to TSR.
I've moved this to the maths forum for you.
Original post by domdomrys
x

Hiya,

Because this is a controlled assessment, we cannot tell you what diagram you should draw, however, we can help you in drawing the diagram once you have decided which one to draw.

Hope this helps and serves as guidance to both you and other users.
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Hiya,

Because this is a controlled assessment, we cannot tell you what diagram you should draw, however, we can help you in drawing the diagram once you have decided which one to draw.

Hope this helps and serves as guidance to both you and other users.

Alright, thanks anyway. I mainly wanted to know if drawing a more complex graph would give me more marks or a higher grade, but I finished the CA and it's all good now.
Reply 4
Original post by domdomrys
First of all, hello all! This is my first time writing on this forum ;D

Anyway, I picked Edexcel Statistics as a additional GCSE and currently over the Easter period we were given a controlled assessment to do about cars. I decided to investigate how age of the car affects its price with a comparison to a different city apart from mine, and I have so far collected all the data I need but I have trouble as to what diagrams to draw.

The data I've collected is prices of cars and what year they were manufactured in. Then I calculated the average price for each year. Now, I'm about to draw graphs, but I don't know what to draw to get a high grade. In the CA sheet it says "You should always choose the best diagram - there is no need to draw several diagrams to represent the same data". I thought that a histogram would give the highest marks but I don't know if this would be the most appropriate. The most obvious one would be a scatter graph, but it would be too easy to do, and a histogram with a frequency polygon is possible to do as well, but it's not exactly the most obvious choice.

PS. I did the "compared to other cities" to do standard deviation and Spearman's rank.

TL;DR: So, what diagram to draw to select the average prices of cars for each year? Any help is appreciated!

Sincw you are trying to find the average prices of cars, maybe try a normal distribution curve, as that portrays averages efficiently. But it depends what type of data you have gathered and whether the data you have gather allows you to plot a normal distribution graph
I am in need of help with my statistics investigation for my OCR GCSE Math coursework assignment

Quick Reply

Latest