The Student Room Group

Why do some people lose more inhibitions when drinking than others?

A question for biology/medicine literaly people!

When drinking alcohol, why is it that some people lose control of inhibitions more than others? For me, I seem to retain almost all of them. I tend to analyse situations a lot, and drinking does nothing to reduce my analytical mindset, so the inhibitions created because of it are still there.
But for some, they can have just a few drinks and they seem to act completely differently.
And howcome some people actually can not recall the events that happened during a night of heavy drinking? I've been extremely drunk before, to the point where I could not walk, yet I remember every minute of it.

Is there a part of the brain which determines these things? Or what?
I think that different people handle alcohol differently because of having different levels of enzymes in their liver. Therefore some people process the alcohol more quickly and therefore excrete it before it sits in their bloodstream for too long and affects the brain (I'm sorry if this isn't very accurate, I haven't studied this in particular in a while!)

Also have a look at this wiki page, it explains it better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_tolerance
Reply 2
Some peoples act differently after drunk because the alcohol directly affects to the brain known as "neurotransmitters". Neurotransmitters are the chemical messengers which controls our body process, emotions & behaviour. Alcohol also cause blackouts which means short-term memory lapse, that's why people don't know what they did after drunk.

http://www.personalstatementresidency.biz/
Reply 3
Some people are ****ing lightweights.
Reply 4
Some people such as myself already struggle to control inhibitions, drinking is effectively a Get Out of Jail free card to skip this whole conforming to social norms and go around doing whatever the hell I like like shouting my secrets to the world and confiding my life story with the homeless guy next to the chippy, pissing in the street, calling up my ex and demanding she tells me if she's cheated on me because she will not give me closure, eating until I'm sick just because I have money in my hand and YOLO, generally reckless behaviour. Stuff I'd never follow through on when sober because I don't want to get arrested, but when I'm drunk I could care less what happens, the world is my big playground.

This is why I don't do drugs.
Reply 5
I have the same in fact i'm completely drunk right now it doesn't even effect the speed of my typing though I might have to correct and backspace mistakes more often but i do that so quickly it doesn't matter I think its a matter of brain chemistry some people have a more focused "strong" mind no matter how high or drunk you get (to an extent) you will retain yourself of course everyone eventually has a ceiling that gets hit but some people really are "superhuman" when it comes to substance abuse but I think its really rare but may not entirely be a good thing cause we still aren't ourselves entirely on it and we think we can just do more and more til we reach this "blackout" state which might be multitudes worse for us physically. I'm not a professional just a bit philosophical in thought and again i'm drunk as i write this lol.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yes , definitely the human body react differently for alcohol ...