The Student Room Group

Want to change University after first year with gap year inbetween!

I'll keep it short ..

Basically, I am not enjoying my university in terms of location and just the general area, even though I've made plenty of good mates. I do want to get my degree but I want to do it at another university. However, I know due to university application deadlines I may have to take a year out to be able to re-apply to my place of choice, also a part of me wants to take a year out anyway to work and get real experience.

My course is BSc International Business. Code N121. Would I have to follow this code to find the exact course elsewhere? Even though first year business modules everyone does the same ..

How realistic is this?

Thankssss
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lewihenda
I'll keep it short ..

Basically, I am not enjoying my university in terms of location and just the general area, even though I've made plenty of good mates. I do want to get my degree but I want to do it at another university. However, I know due to university application deadlines I may have to take a year out to be able to re-apply to my place of choice, also a part of me wants to take a year out anyway to work and get real experience.

My course is BSc International Business. Code N121. Would I have to follow this code to find the exact course elsewhere? Even though first year business modules everyone does the same ..

How realistic is this?

Thankssss

If you wanted to, then there is the potential to go through Extra / Clearing this year and start again in September - though whether or not the uni of your choice is / will become available is a separate matter entirely.

Failing that, you can drop out at some point between now and the end of the year, and then reapply in the autumn for 2015 entry.

However, you will not find the exact same course elsewhere. All universities set their own courses and exams, and these tend to be based on lecturer's research interests. The UCAS code is meaningless in this regard. What you need to do is have a look at the modules on offer at every different university (remember, they will all be very different) and then decide which university you think looks most interesting.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you wanted to, then there is the potential to go through Extra / Clearing this year and start again in September - though whether or not the uni of your choice is / will become available is a separate matter entirely.

Failing that, you can drop out at some point between now and the end of the year, and then reapply in the autumn for 2015 entry.

However, you will not find the exact same course elsewhere. All universities set their own courses and exams, and these tend to be based on lecturer's research interests. The UCAS code is meaningless in this regard. What you need to do is have a look at the modules on offer at every different university (remember, they will all be very different) and then decide which university you think looks most interesting.

If I was to re-apply to another university, whether its clearing 2014 or autumn 2015, if I complete my first year, would I be able to join another university and start second year? Rather than start all over again?
If I was to re-apply to another university, whether its clearing 2014 or autumn 2015, if I complete my first year, would I be able to join another university and start second year? Rather than start all over again?

Your best bet would be to find a few courses that you like the look of and contact the department and explain your situation, and ask if they would consider you for 2nd year entry. Some will, some won't - it depends on the institution, and whether they consider the first year at your current uni is equivalent to their first year etc. I don't think it is something anyone here can advise you on though - you will need to speak to the departments you are interested in joining.

:ditto: To what Millie1986 said. You'll need to speak to each institution individually before you apply. Some will consider you for second year entry and others will not.

Quick Reply