The Student Room Group

Is sudden "sparks flying" attraction usually mutual?

I have known this guy for a few years, he is a friend of a friend and I don't see him very often just now and again at gigs. I always thought he was a nice guy if a little reserved but then I can be like that too. He isn't someone I've ever looked at and thought "wow, he's hot" in fact his looks aren't obviously appealing. He is quite short, about 5 foot 5 (same as me), he is very slight, wiry in build, wears glasses and his hair is receeding quite a lot. I'm not picking holes in his appearance to be mean only to point out that he's not the sort of guy coasting on his looks! He is not a student or graduate, he's a carpenter and works for a small business he co-owns.

Anyway, last weekend we meet at a concert and a group of us go for a drink after. I end up standing next to him and we get talking. There he is looking right in my eyes, its a bright room and I see his pupils are way dilated and I just feel this very strong, sudden attraction to him out of nowhere and at that point I just want to know everything about him, what he reads, what he does, I want to touch him and kiss him. I never really had that before. I had to leave to get my last bus but I haven't stopped thinking about him since.

I don't know when I will see him again, I hope soon just to see if I'm not out of my mind at what I felt. I felt like it was mutual at least to some extent but it could be my mind playing tricks on me. What do you think, when that very sudden, unexpected, sparks, attraction thing happens like that is it mutual or is it just as often one sided?

What do you think?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by brassbuttons
I have known this guy for a few years, he is a friend of a friend and I don't see him very often just now and again at gigs. I always thought he was a nice guy if a little reserved but then I can be like that too. He isn't someone I've ever looked at and thought "wow, he's hot" in fact his looks aren't obviously appealing. He is quite short, about 5 foot 5 (same as me), he is very slight, wiry in build, wears glasses and his hair is receeding quite a lot. I'm not picking holes in his appearance to be mean only to point out that he's not the sort of guy coasting on his looks! He is not a student or graduate, he's a carpenter and works for a small business he co-owns.

Anyway, last weekend we meet at a concert and a group of us go for a drink after. I end up standing next to him and we get talking. There he is looking right in my eyes, its a bright room and I see his pupils are way dilated and I just feel this very strong, sudden attraction to him out of nowhere and at that point I just want to know everything about him, what he reads, what he does, I want to touch him and kiss him. I never really had that before. I had to leave to get my last bus but I haven't stopped thinking about him since.

I don't know when I will see him again, I hope soon just to see if I'm not out of my mind at what I felt. I felt like it was mutual at least to some extent but it could be my mind playing tricks on me. What do you think, when that very sudden, unexpected, sparks, attraction thing happens like that is it mutual or is it just as often one sided?

What do you think?

Well I once had a guy in my church tell me he looked at me and fell in love. He felt them sparks.

BUT

I was not in love with him, when I saw him. I was not. It was not mutual.
Reply 2
Original post by stephanieuwa
Well I once had a guy in my church tell me he looked at me and fell in love. He felt them sparks.

BUT

I was not in love with him, when I saw him. I was not. It was not mutual.

I know what he means and I've seen someone before and liked them isntantly, just fancied them like mad from 1st glance but what I mean here is like it was unexpected, it wasn't about his looks or fancying him before we spoke rather that it was the process of talking to him, it was like inner him peeked out and I saw him and I just loved that ... does that make sense?
I know what he means and I've seen someone before and liked them isntantly, just fancied them like mad from 1st glance but what I mean here is like it was unexpected, it wasn't about his looks or fancying him before we spoke rather that it was the process of talking to him, it was like inner him peeked out and I saw him and I just loved that ... does that make sense?

It doesn't make sense but in a wonderfully cute way!

It sounds like you were having a "shallow hal" moment, which is great. I wouldn't question it. Run with it.
Reply 4
Original post by stephanieuwa
It doesn't make sense but in a wonderfully cute way!

It sounds like you were having a "shallow hal" moment, which is great. I wouldn't question it. Run with it.

Thanks :smile: Hope I get to see him again soon! I'll probably go though all that and he won't like me at all but fingers crossed!
Thanks :smile: Hope I get to see him again soon! I'll probably go though all that and he won't like me at all but fingers crossed!

I have faith in you OP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending