The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

MSc Genetic Counselling

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Wow, that is a lot of people in one house! Sounds like it will be nice though, since it should be all new and updated.

I'm very excited, only a few more days now! I'm glad you're getting a little bit of time off before we start. I took the whole summer off and now I'm feeling a bit rusty and like maybe I should do some revision!

It will be nice to meet you in person soon haha :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Yeah hopefully!
That's lovely, hope you've enjoyed your summer. I'm a bit worried about going back to lectures, I'll be very rusty. But I am sure we will settle in in no time, and we can all help each other out!
Have a safe journey and I'll see you soon! :smile:
Reply 42
Thank you! Have a good rest of your holiday and I will see you in Cardiff! :smile:
Reply 43
Hi guys I am thinking to apply for MSc. in Genetic counselling for 2015 intake at Cardif or Manchester. I had some queries regarding that, is it really essential to have some (6 months) experience in caring role before you can apply? What sort of experience did you guys have? If you dont mind sharing.

Is it really tough to get into the course? And after the course, do you become registered automatically to work as GC ? And how hard is it to find a job afterwards? Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just really curious!
Hi guys, hope you are all settling in well!
I'm also thinking about applying for this course, either this year or next year, and was hoping you would have time to answer a couple of quick questions.
Mainly wondering about the importance of the experience as well and the the level of experience. I won't have 6 months done before the deadline in January and all my experience is pretty basic hospital volunteering so I was just curious as to what experience you guys did to be accepted.
If you have any other tips or advice that you want to share that would be hugely helpful as well!

Thanks!
Reply 45
Original post by leanne2992
I'm also thinking about applying for this course, either this year or next year, and was hoping you would have time to answer a couple of quick questions.
Mainly wondering about the importance of the experience as well and the the level of experience. I won't have 6 months done before the deadline in January and all my experience is pretty basic hospital volunteering so I was just curious as to what experience you guys did to be accepted.
If you have any other tips or advice that you want to share that would be hugely helpful as well!

Thanks!

why not attend the Postgraduate Open Day in November, I'm sure there's somebody there who could answer you these questions.
Reply 46
Original post by markyo
Hi guys I am thinking to apply for MSc. in Genetic counselling for 2015 intake at Cardif or Manchester. I had some queries regarding that, is it really essential to have some (6 months) experience in caring role before you can apply? What sort of experience did you guys have? If you dont mind sharing.

Is it really tough to get into the course? And after the course, do you become registered automatically to work as GC ? And how hard is it to find a job afterwards? Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just really curious!

Thanks!

I PM'ed both of you! :smile:
Reply 47
Hi guys! Im thinking of applying for a masters in genetic counselling in cardiff for sept 2015. I was wondering if you could tell me how you feel about the course so far. Also I was wondering about funding and if you were able to get any scholarships or anything. Im an Irish student currently in my last year of my undergrad in Ireland so I was wondering if it would be difficult for me to get funding.
I dont have the 6 months experience either. Will that prevent me from getting the course?
Is it very hard to find a job after the course? And how expensive is it to live in Cardiff?
So sorry for all these questions!
Thank you!
Reply 48
Anyone starting the MSc in September?
Reply 49
Original post by Steph.H.
Anyone starting the MSc in September?

I haven't received an acceptance/rejection notification yet. They were supposed to send out their responses and offers after Manchester finished with their interviews... That was last week. I'm getting a little frazzled...
Reply 50
I haven't received an offer/rejection yet. They were supposed to sedn those out after Manchester finished their interviews.. but that was last week... I'm getting a little frazzled.
Reply 51
Hello! I've just come across your post - I am starting the GC MSc in Cardiff in September. Are you?!
Reply 52
Hi, just seen this chat and hoping people will still see my message...I'm currently going to start my degree in September but my definite ultimate goal is to apply for genetics counselling but at Manchester. I would really love to know how high the barrier is for getting on this course?? I need to know for today as I need to know whether to accept one of my current offers or decline and go through clearing to try and get into a red brick university instead to up my chances. I read there is only 10 places around every 2 years which Manchester take on so thinking it's pretty high... :/
Any help on this would be amazing.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Victoria
Reply 53
Hey Victoria, I would say you're in a very good position if you're already sure you want apply to genetic counseling before even starting your undergrad! This way you can build up relevant experience over a good few years. I went to Edinburgh uni but to be honest I don't think it's the rep of the uni which counts. They value passion and interest in the subject/profession much more (this is my interpretation anyway!) I would recommend getting some caring work over the summers and doing lots of volunteering throughout uni, in a special needs school for example, or anything that shows you are compassionate etc. then you can build up a good application :smile:
Hope that helps!
Reply 54
Hi Katie, I'm starting in September :smile: getting so excited after receiving our timetable!
Reply 55
Hi everyone,

Wishing you all good luck with starting your course. After I graduated with my Biology degree I went straight to work as a Care Assistant and I applied to both Cardiff and Manchester to start in 2015 but unfortunately I didn't get a place.

I'm still determined for the Cardiff entry for September 2016 and I've been working on my re-application since! I have now got over 12 months experience in different care roles. I also took a three month unpaid internship a genetic campaigns organisation in London, and tomorrow I will be meeting with a Genetic Counsellor in Birmingham to talk about the role etc.

Even still, I still worry that I won't have done enough to stand out and be shortlisted for interview, as I know how few places they have and how many people apply! I wondered if anyone has any extra advice and if any existing students went through re-application.

Thanks!

Lydia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending