The Student Room Group

Should women ever go to jail?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamieTT
But I didn't say women are evil. I just said they aren't wonderful. And men aren't monsters either. Most of both sexes are somewhere in between. And I'm far from a troll. The judges who give women a slap on the wrist for infanticide or raping children are.

I was being dramatic to make a point hun. Some of your threads are ridiculous and you post so many when there's actually one that makes sense, like this one, people just think you're trolling. Furthermore I don't see why you need to post a thread that can't really be debated because the stronger argument is so obvious.
Original post by shawn_o1
Yes, women should go to jail. (That said, I haven't heard of a single woman being handed a whole life sentence...)

Rose West, Myra Hindley.
Reply 42
Original post by Huskaris
If I have children, I hope I have daughters.

Out of curiosity, why? I think it would be harder to raise a girl as a male.
Reply 43
Original post by puma21
Out of curiosity, why? I think it would be harder to raise a girl as a male.

The world has a lot more opportunities for them, is infinitely more forgiving, and during all this, they are portrayed as the underdogs.
Of course women should go to prison if their crime calls for that. Everyone should be treated the same.

Most feminists don't think as you are suggesting, it's just a ridiculous select few who no one takes seriously.
I know we're not really big on the idea of rehabilitation in this country but do you think a woman is more likely to change than a man?
Reply 46
Original post by keromedic
I know we're not really big on the idea of rehabilitation in this country but do you think a woman is more likely to change than a man?

I don't know. Maybe with the right support. I do know that it's much easier to make women ''conform'' and respect rules but these are convicted offenders so not your average female.
In a lot of reports and studies of this issue I keep reading about the "needs of offenders" wtf. What they need is to be punished.
Original post by ArtGoblin
It's possible that some lawyers do advise this, but 85% of child residence decisions are made independently so that's not making the bulk of decisions. The perception of biased courts may also have an impact on some men who think that his ex-partner might as well keep them straight away because he'll lose anyway. However, I don't think family courts are biased towards women, I think they're biased towards primary caregivers. Who happen to be women most of the time. A judge is not going to give residence to a parent who hasn't been around as much as the other, even if the other parent was working for their family. It is still in the best interests of a child to have their lives disrupted as little as possible during a difficult time.

There is also the issue of women having no say in whether they bring up the child if their partner walks out on them (I know women can leave men with the child but it is much more likely to happen this way around). This is a situation many female offenders find themselves in so the courts giving preference to women will have no impact on their situation anyway.

I think the majority are just biased to the primary care giver, both on the status quo presumption for childcare and on the financial award following 'White' and 'MacArthur', however in some cases, judges (ironically following a very patriarchal and traditional view of things) just tend towards giving the mother custody no matter what. My mate's a family NQ and had one recently where the Dad worked part time from home, cared for the kids etc., mother was a big 4 partner, primary breadwinner and, they thought most winningly, an alcoholic. She got them, he got visiting not even shared custody. These aren't common, normally women get them because they are the primary care giver, but with certain judges (often the advice changes on allocation) it can be an uphill struggle unless there's something major eg. domestic abuse.

Original post by Old_Simon
IMHO Lady Hale is a refreshing beacon of common sense and enlightenment in the Supreme Court. She always was an unusual appointment as she went to the High Court directly from academic life. In general what seems like "justice" may look different from a female perspective. She is opposed to pre nups for example, which may not be a bad position to adopt. A Supreme Court absent a single Lady would be untenable in the modern era.

Hale has some really good moments and some howlers, she's a lot less consistent than other judges, the 'Stack' cases are I think very good law, but sometimes she does tend to somewhat go off on one and render ratios muddier than they should be. I agree there has to be a female judge, in fact that Lord Mance is there instead of his wife is in my opinion a shocker on behalf of the selection committee.

Original post by Old_Simon
In the UK the leniency shown to defaulters and those in breach of court orders in child custody cases (eg visiting rights not adhered to, non attendance at court, failing to furnish info etc) is astonishing to the point of bringing the court into disrepute.

I think those in breach should indeed be wacked with writs like anyone else, but the original case costs are different issue and judges are pretty willingly to make them indemnity basis or adjust the award itself on the basis of litigation misconduct.
I say jail em all :fuhrer:
Decriminalise drugs and the rate of incarcerated men will plummet.
Only the crazy ones. Women don't really have a sold understanding of what they're doing sometimes.
I don't understand why the people in the articles are making this a gendered issue.

Sometimes the man is going to be the primary caregiver instead of the woman. Sometimes a man is going to be a single parent. Sure, this is rarer than the other way round, but it seems odd to make this only about 'women', rather than about 'parents'.

The same applies to reoffending. I have no problem believing that men and women have different psychosocial profiles and that women on average would reoffend less; however, why extend this benefit of the doubt to all women? There will always be some women who exhibit a psychosocial profile closer to that of men (and amongst convicted offenders, I would guess this would be a higher % than amongst the general population), and vice versa. Why not mete sentences out on a case-by-case basis taking into account an individual's predisposition to reoffend rather than paint in broad brush strokes of sex (which in some cases doesn't even correspond to gender)?

It also irks me that 'lobby feminists' of the type in the OP are so quick to point out that women are psychosocially different on average to men. It's undoubtedly true, but they simultaneously complain about women's representation in X, Y and Z 'good' fields. Maximal hypocrisy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Of course women should go to prison if their crime calls for that. Everyone should be treated the same.

Most feminists don't think as you are suggesting, it's just a ridiculous select few who no one takes seriously.

They dont even need most people to take them seriously. Just the Ministry of Justice.

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) welcomed the report and said it was carefully considering the recommendations.
Reply 54
Original post by jamieTT
Women are less likely to be arrested, charged, convicted, receive a prison sentence and more likely to receive a shorter or suspended sentence or be released earlier than men for the exact same crime (also a lot less likely to receive capital punishment in the US). But it looks like that's not enough for some.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-13666066

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394739/Short-jail-terms-women-axed-prisons-closed-report-says.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/7995844/Judges-told-be-more-lenient-to-women-criminals.html

That quote is feminism in a nutshell. Equality in boardrooms but not in prisons.

Ever heard of Aileen Wuornos? Female serial killer? Myra Hindley? Rosemary West? These people should not be on the streets (I recognise 2 of those are dead)
If they comment a crime they should be punished for it in tje same way of as men.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by shawn_o1
Yes, women should go to jail. (That said, I haven't heard of a single woman being handed a whole life sentence...)

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Myra hindley was given a whole life sentence?

I agree with the OP this is another case of feminism when it suits women but no doubt the radical feminist brigade on TSR will rush to say that's not the case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamieTT
Women are less likely to be arrested, charged, convicted, receive a prison sentence and more likely to receive a shorter or suspended sentence or be released earlier than men for the exact same crime (also a lot less likely to receive capital punishment in the US). But it looks like that's not enough for some.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-13666066

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394739/Short-jail-terms-women-axed-prisons-closed-report-says.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/7995844/Judges-told-be-more-lenient-to-women-criminals.html

That quote is feminism in a nutshell. Equality in boardrooms but not in prisons.

In the States women go to jail all the time. This is news to me. I believe that equal crimes, regardless or race, gender, creed etc. should receive equal time. It isn't rocket science.
Reply 58
yes some women need to be humbled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending