The Student Room Group

Trouble Deciding

Hi everyone.
I'm an international student from the US. I have conditional offers from Goldsmiths, Edinburgh, and Arts University Bournemouth for design, illustration, and graphics respectively. Tuition fees are a major concern as an international student as they vary greatly between these three schools. Edinburgh being the most expensive. For art specifically what are their reputations like within the UK?
Thank you everyone!
Reply 1
Hi
I am also having trouble deciding!
I have an offer from Goldsmiths for Design too and am trying to decide between Goldsmiths and Glasgow school of Art.
Goldsmiths has a great reputation for the Design course but it will be a lot different from your other two choices. It is much less focussed on specific areas like graphics but more on the whole mode of design thinking and approaching design as a 'whole'. Its quite innovative. However I'm not sure if I want to be in London which is why I am leaning towards Glasgow. As a designer, I will probably be working in London for most of my life so it would be nice to experience a new place before that.
Goldsmiths is also quite a big course, they keep upping the numbers each year and there will be about 100 people in our year compared to about 80 in the previous year. There are only 30 on my course at Glasgow. I'm not sure about Bournemouth and Edinburgh though. I have visited Edinburgh college of art and it seems really nice. I know Bournemouth has a good reputation too.

It's such a hard decision!
Reply 2
Agreed, it is! The London factor is a big thing for me too, I don't want to live in a big city yet even though the course looks incredible, and yes the class size is really big compared to Edinburgh and Bournemouth. I think I'm leaning towards Bournemouth because it is going to be the mpst affordable for me, fee wise and the cost of living in the area itself. And Edinburgh does have the great reputation of being Edinburgh... but I don't know how the art school stands up...
I've heard wonderful things about Glasgow though, so you have two incredible choices! I think I've decided that I will be in bigger cities later working in life, so just like you I'm not sure if it's what I want right now. This is all so tough haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theforeignone
Agreed, it is! The London factor is a big thing for me too, I don't want to live in a big city yet even though the course looks incredible, and yes the class size is really big compared to Edinburgh and Bournemouth. I think I'm leaning towards Bournemouth because it is going to be the mpst affordable for me, fee wise and the cost of living in the area itself. And Edinburgh does have the great reputation of being Edinburgh... but I don't know how the art school stands up...
I've heard wonderful things about Glasgow though, so you have two incredible choices! I think I've decided that I will be in bigger cities later working in life, so just like you I'm not sure if it's what I want right now. This is all so tough haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It has an international, world class reputation.

Quick Reply

Latest