The Student Room Group

Virgin Media introduces sign language interpretation

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2014/04/virgin_media_introduces_sign_language_interpretation/

Virgin Media is enhancing its customer service process by offering deaf customers access to an online sign language interpreter, in order to relay problems to staff.

To help customers get the most out of their next generation broadband, TV and phone services, the company has launched the Video Relay Service (VRS), which connects people to a fully qualified sign language interpreter, who will then communicate with the customer contact teams in real time.

Virgin Media has developed the service with Sign Solutions, a leading BSL/English Interpreter centre that says the technology will help the telecoms provider to become more inclusive, subsequently helping customers to lead an "independent digital life".

Sean Nicholson, Chief Executive of Sign Solutions, commented: "This is an important step forward and will transform the customer experience for many people."

Customers hoping to take advantage of the option can access the new Video Relay Service by visiting virginmedia.com, clicking on the sign language interpreter icon and downloading a plug-in to use.

Sign language interpreters will be available every weekday with a video message call back option for any other time, though users will need a computer with video capability and a broadband connection

I applaud Virgin Media, and I hope other companies start to make efforts to help deaf customers by providing sign language interpretation.
Reply 1
Sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't live chat be an easier solution?

I have no first or second hand knowledge of what it's like to be deaf - but I am assuming deaf people can communicate fine in writing/type. Am I wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending