The Student Room Group

Edexcel Psychology AS

I have been speaking to a member on another thread who was unable to find a thread for those doing AS Psychology on Edexcel. I had a quick look myself and couldn't find one either, so I made this one.

Feel free to ask questions, answer questions, share tips and so forth!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by la95
I have been speaking to a member on another thread who was unable to find a thread for those doing AS Psychology on Edexcel. I had a quick look myself and couldn't find one either, so I made this one.

Feel free to ask questions, answer questions, share tips and so forth!

thank youuuuu :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by macey90
thank youuuuu :smile:

No worries. :smile:

Why don't you post your questions here so that people can answer them for you?
So for those who do edexcel psychology, how are you guys feeling about the exams? Also, what kind of questions do you think will come up?
Original post by TheFinalFlare
So for those who do edexcel psychology, how are you guys feeling about the exams? Also, what kind of questions do you think will come up?

Pretty confident about Unit 1, but some strange questions have been asked on Unit 2! :tongue:

For the 12-mark essay on Unit 1, I'm gonna just throw this out there... I think it could be Milgram (1963)! However, no key issues have been the 12-mark essay for Unit 1, so it could be that too.

Any predictions?
Yaay! Finally I found a thread for Edexcel Psychology :redface:

You guys might find this useful: http://aspsychology101.wordpress.com/downloads/
Any ideas about questions on Unit 2 anyone?
Reply 6
Unit 1 -Cognitive and Social, 13th May-

Questions that haven't been asked are things like Cue-Dependent compared to Trace decay (which i hope isn't ask, yuck, trace decay!:confused:); Qualitative vs Quantitative data; Lab expt vs Field expt (vs natural) they might just throw all three in :tongue:; Milgram vs. Meeus and Raaijmaker; Godden and Baddeley compared to Peterson & Peterson .. these were just some suggestions from my teacher (so don't take them too seriously! he's not a fortune teller)
Also, things that have come up least in exams.. HOFLING, it's come up like once in the past few papers; Levels of Processing, Trace Decay, those 3 have come up the least, but Agency theory has only come up twice or so, Multi-store model; Meeus and Raaijmaker; Cue-D; Pejudice vs Discrimination..
Again i repeat, just assumptions, I'm not going to revise solely for these topics, but I think I will focus on them a bit more..
Reply 7

So nervous:frown: I have to get a C in this:eek::confused:
Reply 8
Hey guys any predictions for the final 12 marker? Good luck everyone:smile: I for one am petrified

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, I'm really nervous about the exam myself! Always have that worry that I'm going to completely blank out in the exam aha, hopefully that won't be the case x:

Personally I'm unsure as to what the 12 marker could be for unit 1. The Key Issue would probably be the most logical predication as there has never been a 12 mark question regarding them. However, I do kinda have a slight feeling that it may just be about a study (I have Craik and Tulving at the back of my mind, as out of all of the past papers I've looked at - there has never been a 12 mark question on it). Or we could just be completely surprised and get given a question we wouldn't of ever thought of!

How well are you guys doing in terms of revision for the exams? I'm managing to get quite a bit of revision in myself xD
When im revising can't seem to understand anything due to being soo nervous!
Ah, I'm really nervous about the exam myself! Always have that worry that I'm going to completely blank out in the exam aha, hopefully that won't be the case x:

Personally I'm unsure as to what the 12 marker could be for unit 1. The Key Issue would probably be the most logical predication as there has never been a 12 mark question regarding them. However, I do kinda have a slight feeling that it may just be about a study (I have Craik and Tulving at the back of my mind, as out of all of the past papers I've looked at - there has never been a 12 mark question on it). Or we could just be completely surprised and get given a question we wouldn't of ever thought of!

How well are you guys doing in terms of revision for the exams? I'm managing to get quite a bit of revision in myself xD

Im glad i found this thread even though its a day old,hopefully you guys are still around.
I'm worried most about the practicals, i don't even have any notes on them because my teacher told me to get them from the library xD
Hopefully there's no 12 marker on cognitive psychology, its so boring. I've revised social psychology in detail now, just have to do the cognitive side :frown:.
Original post by TipstertoHip
Hopefully there's no 12 marker on cognitive psychology, its so boring. I've revised social psychology in detail now, just have to do the cognitive side :frown:.

Aha I'm quite the opposite, I'm hoping that the 12 marker will be related to the Cognitive Approach :P Though, I suppose I don't really mind either way.
I'm praying that the 12 marker is on the social approach as long as it doesn't require us to compare Milgram's 1963 with Meeus & Raajimakers. Ah well.
The information really doesn't seem to be sticking in my head...I think I have a better chance of scoring well on unit 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Anyone have any ideas on what the grade boundaries might be like ? theyre pretty low from looking at previous years but i really dont want them to go any higher ! X_x
Reply 17
My teacher told me that from unit 1- Meeus and Raajmaakers, is most likely to come as 12 marker, she's not 100% sure though although she did say that if the 12 marker isnt on M&R, there definately will be a question about M&R.
And for unit 2, she said watson and rayner (1920) has a high chance of coming as an essay question.

PS: she is an exam marker and a friend of the exam writer although the exam writer cannot really say to her what questions are going to come.
Reply 18
Unit 1: design questions (my teachers have thought that they would be likely to come up on unit 2 as well), surveys, evaluating theories (as well as on unit 2, since most people struggle on them rather than evaluating studies), M&R could be the 12 marker, possibly Milgram, or even the comparison for 12 as there is enough points if you use aims, sample, setting, procedure, results and evaluation.

The head of Psych at my school also said that it's hard to predict what is going to come up on unit 1, since quite a lot has come up already, but unit 2, there's quite a lot of Psychodynamic that hasn't come up yet.

Unit 2: Classical conditioning hasn't come up a lot (according to my teachers), so it might do again, Watson and Raynor hasn't ever been a study in detail in the exam, so could be a 6 marker, if not, 12 marker. However, I assume lots of people do poorly on Bandura and Ross and Ross's study, so that may come up as a 4/5/6 marker, or even less in terms of aim, results ect.

Grade boundaries, I would say approximately the same, I mean, you could do central tendencies for all the grade boundaries and for approximations, but it's depending on the papers, mainly. I doubt they would be a lot higher/lower than they usually are.

I'm quite worried about unit 2 (I can't stand the unit), I'm aiming for at least a B/high C on that as I don't think I'll get a very good mark, hopefully I'll end up scoring a high A or something on unit 1 and hoping that 60% for unit 2 doesn't let me down for my overall grade.
Reply 19
The 12 marker last year was describe and evaluate qualitative and quantitative data, so you had to list their strengths and weaknesses. Hope that helps =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending