The Student Room Group

UK going to have to pay some of Ukraine's gas bill!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StretfordEnd
So these aircraft carriers we've commissioned that we don't have enough planes for - that's a sensible procurement? How about the £500m we wasted on Chinooks that won't ever fly because of a problem with their computer systems?

In terms of total spend we are the 4th biggest spenders in the world on defence, as a % of GDP we spend significantly more than places like Germany, Belgium, Canada, and the Nordic Countries.

Why? If we're to believe it's to protect our interests abroad (ie oil!) then why are we as consumers spending so much on petrol, heating and energy in general?

It's worth noting that the countries I just mentioned who spend comparatively less of their GDP on the military and more in other areas tend to have a higher HDI ranking, higher social mobility, lower inequality of wealth, and generally happier citizens. None of these countries experience soaring oil or energy prices and none of these countries experience threats to their sovereignty. We could strip our military back to little more than a nuclear deterrent and there's nothing in international politics that tells me we'd suffer as a result.

The problems you raise are problems within the MoD defence procurement process, not the weapon systems themselves. If you said we should reorganize and streamline the MoD I would agree with you.

And you do realise we can increase the welfare budget without having to cut other areas right? Your argument is illogical and not thought through. There is no correlation between amount spent on defence and social mobility/ HDI, don't be so absurd.
Original post by gladders
If the alternative is having Ukraine dominated by Russia, then we should pay them. Russia must be contained.

Aside from immediate peripheries, Russia is contained. Ukraine is in the state it is in mostly because it's of vastly more importance and influence of Russia than the west would ever genuinely want to expend on exerting.

The main problem here is that Russia provides a quite large sum of European gas supplies via Ukraine, and if Russia shuts off Ukraine's gas it shuts off Europe's by default.

I would be sceptical of too much western involvement in Ukraine, it's not important to us and risks creating bigger problems than simply letting the Russians have their backyard (a yard full of ethnic Russians btw). Russia by virtue of it's military and economic capabilities couldn't act much further into Europe if it wanted to, and on top of Eastern European wariness of Russia and the NATO alliance, it'd be full retard to do so.

However I guess paying off Ukraine's gas bills makes sense if we are interested in maintaining Europe's energy supplies and consolidating the western ethnic Ukrainian part of said country further into the European/western sphere, even as the eastern half of the country slowly descends further into open disobedience, revolt and turn to Russia.
Original post by the mezzil
The problems you raise are problems within the MoD defence procurement process, not the weapon systems themselves. If you said we should reorganize and streamline the MoD I would agree with you.

And you do realise we can increase the welfare budget without having to cut other areas right? Your argument is illogical and not thought through. There is no correlation between amount spent on defence and social mobility/ HDI, don't be so absurd.

Sorry, wrote this quite late and probably wasn't as clear as I should have been.

There are massive problems with MoD procurement but even if it was ideal - to what end? Increased defence spending doesn't always equal greater national security. Compare the US, Canada and the UK. When's the last time Canada were the repeated target of terrorist attacks, or had prolonged protests and threats to their diplomatic missions in other countries? It doesn't really happen - they don't spend much on defence and there is no credible argument to suggest their national security is compromised.

I'd actually argue that a greater military spend and means more comprehensive armed forces means more desire in some spheres of government to involve ourselves in situations we don't need to (Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria all the 21st centry). This in turn leads to greater counter threats to our nation which simply wouldn't exist otherwise.

You look at some of the countries who have a comparable military spend as us and it's quite easy to see why - India/Pakistan, South Korea, Turkey. I don't see what justification we have to spend a comparable % of GDP on military as those countries do.

Also, no - I'm not naive or silly enough to suggest that less military spend = greater HDI and social mobility. What I am suggested is that reducing our military spend to 1.5% of GDP would allow us to keep the elements of our armed forces that are crucial to national security (a nuclear deterrent) whilst simultaneously providing over 10bn which could be invested elsewhere.
Original post by StretfordEnd
Sorry, wrote this quite late and probably wasn't as clear as I should have been.

There are massive problems with MoD procurement but even if it was ideal - to what end? Increased defence spending doesn't always equal greater national security. Compare the US, Canada and the UK. When's the last time Canada were the repeated target of terrorist attacks, or had prolonged protests and threats to their diplomatic missions in other countries? It doesn't really happen - they don't spend much on defence and there is no credible argument to suggest their national security is compromised.

I'd actually argue that a greater military spend and means more comprehensive armed forces means more desire in some spheres of government to involve ourselves in situations we don't need to (Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria all the 21st centry). This in turn leads to greater counter threats to our nation which simply wouldn't exist otherwise.

You look at some of the countries who have a comparable military spend as us and it's quite easy to see why - India/Pakistan, South Korea, Turkey. I don't see what justification we have to spend a comparable % of GDP on military as those countries do.

Also, no - I'm not naive or silly enough to suggest that less military spend = greater HDI and social mobility. What I am suggested is that reducing our military spend to 1.5% of GDP would allow us to keep the elements of our armed forces that are crucial to national security (a nuclear deterrent) whilst simultaneously providing over 10bn which could be invested elsewhere.

Well Canada does have regular terrorist threats, I would assume you are unaware because a) the Media in the UK is focused on Europe/ USA/ Middle East and b) the Canadian and allied intelligence services are very good at what they do. Like how you don't hear much about what the MI5/ MI6 do in this country, you hear even less from the Canadians for obvious reasons. I think the fact that they chose to get involved on a voluntary basis in places like Afghanistan shows that they thought it would be best in both their and their allies interest. They spend less because they don't need to - the USA/ UK/ NATO do everything they don't do, which is unfair of course.

I'm not saying we should have a significantly large Armed Forces like USA/ China/ Russia/ Turkey etc, but we should not be compromising military spending for a utopian mind-set. I'm also not suggesting we should be acting in a belligerent fashion, but I believe that should we need to, military options should be used, and not threatened. Iraq and Afghanistan did not really concern us directly, I agree, and the way we went about militarily in both conflicts were not effective, but I would prefer not to have Dictators like Saddam Hussein and the Taliban in power. I think military options should of been used in both cases, but not the way it was used by Blair and Bush. The way it was handled exacerbated the problems.

Terrorism from the obvious places along with a more belligerent attitude from emerging economies, such as Russia, is reasons why we should not be decreasing the defence budget. It's just absurd, and sends the wrong signals. Whilst Crimea may wish to become Russian, something that it has the right to do, the way Russia acted is something to be worried about. Putin and his friends have often talked about strengthening Russia and bringing back "old regions", such as Crimea, Belorussia, Moldova, South Ossetia etc. Also we are obliged to spend over 2% of GDP on defence as part of NATO.

As I said there is no need to cut to give to other departments. Welfare spending can still be increased by 10 billion without cutting defence.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by samba
Compassion and common sense. You're an intelligent man, you should be able to understand the benefits.

Hell, even Orcas adhere to the concept.

I know, I am actually quite lefty and struggle to see how those who are lucky enough to be spending thousands and thousands on a holiday can begrudge people in hard times being supported through the tax system. I was however quite drunk and it's entertaining baiting right wingers with their own credo.
Reply 45
Original post by Le Nombre
I know, I am actually quite lefty and struggle to see how those who are lucky enough to be spending thousands and thousands on a holiday can begrudge people in hard times being supported through the tax system. I was however quite drunk and it's entertaining baiting right wingers with their own credo.

Fair enough. It's an interesting point you raise though. Those who are 'truly wealthy' don't begrudge welfare or benefits whatsoever in general, and would happily pay a bit more tax to see them rise. They generally want breaks/cuts in other areas first and often fund/trustee welfare directed foundations in their spare time.

I wonder which demographic does actually begrudge good welfare. Or whether it's some sort of government spin. It'd be a fairly interesting study in my opinion.

I'd love to see the DWP taken on legally, by people who have clout.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending