The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Commute or not commute

I am looking to attend winchester university this September to study childhood and youth studies! I am in a dilemma about whether to commute everyday for an hour from my home in Christchurch so that i can save accommodation costs and save my student loan, or whether I should live in halls but struggle as my loan after accommodation only leaves me with 300 pounds and my parents can't always send me money. Everyone says that I'll miss out on 'student life' but I'm not too bothered I'm not a huge party animal haha. Any advice would be great as the deadline to reply to offers is soon and I'm stressing out!! Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
I know someone who commutes from Poole and it doesn't seem to bother her, she just gets all her work done on the train. I'm sure you won't miss out that much on student life as it's not all about partying!

Is there no way you can save between now and September?
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Reply 2
Original post by Add!ction
I know someone who commutes from Poole and it doesn't seem to bother her, she just gets all her work done on the train. I'm sure you won't miss out that much on student life as it's not all about partying!

Is there no way you can save between now and September?

I have saved a little bit and so have my parents. But I have a boyfriend here soI'd want to come home most weekends and probably won't be able to afford train costs. Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel a bit better that you know someone who commutes and doesn't mind it! Xx
Reply 3
Do you have a railcard?
Reply 4
Original post by Add!ction
Do you have a railcard?

I commute to Winchester Uni (been there a year now) Have to say that I don't miss the 'life' there. Admittedly I only come from Southampton so it isn't too bad for me but it's financially and family wise a better option for me than being a resident.
Reply 5
Hi there,

Have just had my place confirmed at Winchester Uni for the PGCE course starting this September. I live in Southbourne and will be commuting/driving. Always welcome to get a lift with me. Michelle
I also live in the Southbourne area and will be thinking of commuting to Winchester via train. How much are annual rail cards??
I'm also in the Southbourne area & starting PGCE in September.
Have been looking for accommodation in Winchester but it seems to so expensive that I'm thinking of commuting, probably by train so can work there/back. Good to hear there are others who are also probably doing the same route! Not sure how much it is though...

Becca
I commute roughly two and a half hours (about 1.5 hours on the train) to my uni and have done since midway through my first year.
For part of first year I lived in halls but found it hard with my boyfriend so moved back home. I don’t mind commuting and since I’m not big into the party scene I don’t really miss out. I do have friends that offer for me to crash at theirs if I have a late night.
I do a lot of my work on the train and actually really enjoy commuting. You just need to remember that there will be delays so I always leave half an hour before I need to. Timings might be awkward and it is tiring sometimes but I don’t mind it.
Feel free to ask any questions if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending