The Student Room Group

Allergic to Hair Dye?

So I haven't dyed my hair using normal, chemical dyes before, but unfortunately I've got a few greys coming through and I would quite like to cover them up before they get too extensive.

However, whenever I do a patch test (probably three times now, over the past few years) I get a slight redness of the skin, with a mild itchiness. This has put me off dying my hair until now, but it's getting to the point where the greys are a bit more noticeable and I'd like to do something about them.

I know henna is an alternative, and I have actually used henna (about six months ago now), but it's not great at covering greys- although it did make my hair look lovely and healthy. I'm also aware that it's not a great idea to use normal hair dye after hair has been covered with henna, though some people say that after a certain amount of time it's fine, so I of course will do a strand test beforehand just in case.

I guess what I'm asking here is: is it really risky for me to use a semi-permanent hair dye, considering my reaction to the patch test? I know this seems like a stupid question, but my mother has been dying her hair for thirty years and because she found my skin reaction strange, she did a patch test herself (something she should do every time, but doesn't)- and, funnily enough, she also got a slight reaction, despite the fact that this is from a hair dye she used just the week before.

Any advice as to what I should do would be really appreciated- before the greys take over!
Reply 1
Hi im a hairdresser u may be allergic I don't know unless I see but I do know there are herbal hair dyes u can get from Holland and Barrett or any herbal store :smile: hope this helps
Reply 2
Some times hair dye make our hair itchy and greasy also so while choosing hair dye we should make sure whether it is natural or not.
If the itching isn't bad I'd just do it tbh. I ALWAYS get itchy stingyness every time I get my hair dyed. It's not bad, it just feels weird. My mum gets it too. Some people just do. Unless it's agonising and unbearable, you're fine

I'd rather risk it than not dye my hair.
Reply 4
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
If the itching isn't bad I'd just do it tbh. I ALWAYS get itchy stingyness every time I get my hair dyed. It's not bad, it just feels weird. My mum gets it too. Some people just do. Unless it's agonising and unbearable, you're fine

I'd rather risk it than not dye my hair.

Since posting this I have dyed my hair- though I've only used a semi thus far. And everything was fine! I'm going to stick to semis for now, only because, for some reason, the dye seemed to permanently colour my hair (I dyed it at Easter and it's only faded a little since then) but it's a relief to know that my head won't explode the second dye touches it, haha. And I didn't even get slight itchy stingyness, which really surprised me since, as you said, a lot of people do. Guess I was just worrying over nothing!
Original post by llacerta
Since posting this I have dyed my hair- though I've only used a semi thus far. And everything was fine! I'm going to stick to semis for now, only because, for some reason, the dye seemed to permanently colour my hair (I dyed it at Easter and it's only faded a little since then) but it's a relief to know that my head won't explode the second dye touches it, haha. And I didn't even get slight itchy stingyness, which really surprised me since, as you said, a lot of people do. Guess I was just worrying over nothing!

Glad to hear it went well :smile: I work in hair and makeup and a lot of people do get weird sensations. As long as it isn't uncomfortable you'll be good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending