The Student Room Group

Aberdeen - Msc Petroleum Engineering and accomodation

Hi guys, my name's Luca. I received an offer for MSc Petroleum Engineering in Aberdeen and, due to the city fame around the oil field, I'm considering wether accepting this offer or not (I'm also waiting for Manchester application result). As I come from Italy, I have not so much experience with UK universities, and I know also that rankings could be not totally reliable. Has anyone faced this choice before, which are pros and cons of the two uni for what concernes this MSc course?
Secondly, what about a comparison about costs (city, accomodation), city and student life?

Thank you all.
The university doesn't actually offer an MSc in petroleum engineering, you must be thinking of something else. Perhaps undergrad?

The city is very expensive, but student life isn't bad... it's what you make of it.

I can't really advise how to choose between Aberdeen and Manchester. Yes, Aberdeen is a in a much more geographically favourable location, but petroleum engineering is a very niche degree and hence when employers are looking for them, they're willing to cast their nets quite far.

Also, make sure that petroleum engineering is really what you want to do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Aberdeen is in a good geographic location as it's in the Petroleum capital of the UK. I agree with the above post, there is no Petroleum Engineering MSc at Aberdeen, there is however an MEng which is a UG program. Aberdeen does do an Oil and Gas Engineering MSc if that's what you mean? It isn't yet accredited as it's a new program there, but the institute holds a good repute so I would never question that. Manchester on the other hand has an excellent repute when it comes to Chemical Engineering so I suppose their program would be excellent. I'm not sure if Manchester does this program at PG or not. As I live in Manchester myself, I do know that Univ. of Salford is doing an MSc Petroleum Engineering that is accredited already, and they have a very strong faculty, having met them myself. The living costs when it comes to Manchester and Salford are not that bad actually, it is affordable.
But when it comes to choosing Uni, that's up to you, but would recommend Univ. of Salford for this MSc!
Hope that helped and best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Cattura.PNG

Thanks for your advices guys, MSc Petroleum Engineering is one of the latest addition in Aberdeen programmes. But I'll consider Salford too.
Reply 4
Anytime, and best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lrud89
Cattura.PNG

Thanks for your advices guys, MSc Petroleum Engineering is one of the latest addition in Aberdeen programmes. But I'll consider Salford too.

Congrats for the offer. I didn't know Aberdeen are doing Petroleum Engineering MSc. Anyway, best of luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I would much appreciate if someone could give me an answer to my question...

I am going straight into 2nd year for petroleum engineering and I want to know if anyone that has done first year can tell me if they think it would be extremely difficult to go straight into 2nd year.

Doest 1st year cover much more than A-level math/physics/chemistry?

If yes, PLEASE could you give me a list of what you think I should revise before Uni starts.

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 7
hi everyone,

I am a Petroleum Engineer from Colombia and i'm planning to apply to Msc in Petroleum eng or Msc oil & gas eng. i want to know about the your experience during and after finishing it, the opportunities and if it's easy to get a job after. since the Petroleum eng Msc is too recent, what do the companies prefer,oil & gas or Petroleum eng MSC graduates. your comments and advice would be very helpful,

thanks
Original post by afsuarez
hi everyone,

I am a Petroleum Engineer from Colombia and i'm planning to apply to Msc in Petroleum eng or Msc oil & gas eng. i want to know about the your experience during and after finishing it, the opportunities and if it's easy to get a job after. since the Petroleum eng Msc is too recent, what do the companies prefer,oil & gas or Petroleum eng MSC graduates. your comments and advice would be very helpful,

thanks

It depends on what job you're looking for. If you're looking for a petroleum/reservoir engineering position, then the choice is obvious. And given that this what your background is, I think this may be what you're looking for. But if you're not sure, you're better off doing the oil & gas engineering MSc as it'll keep more doors open.
Reply 9
Guys this probably sounds like a stupid question; but please explain; what is the difference between MEng, and MSc (I thought it's the same thing; masters). Isn't it..?...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lebeko
Guys this probably sounds like a stupid question; but please explain; what is the difference between MEng, and MSc (I thought it's the same thing; masters). Isn't it..?...

Posted from TSR Mobile

MEng is an undergraduate degree which terminates into a Master's degree program upon completion. In UK, the duration would be (in most cases) 4 years (3 for Undergrad B.Eng, 1 for Master's). Whereas the MSc is a 1 year Master's program for people who have already obtained a Bachelor's degree. In some schools, the MSc students and the 4th year (MEng) students have identical coursework.

Hope this helps...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Hello Luca, same here, I got offer letter from university of Aberdeen what should I do, accept it or think about another university which I got from Heriot-Watt Dubai and Malaysian campus?
I have got an offer from University of aberdeen MSC in petroleum engineering Jan 2021.If you can tell me what is the format of exam in this course, is it MCQ based ?
I got an offer of MSc petroleum engineering, at the University of Aberdeen, but I am still looking for funding, I am an international student from Nigeria, does anyone have any idea, where I can find funding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending