The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ThrillSize
Just wondering when exactly people made their decision moment and how this decision came about. Have you decided? If not, how do you plan to decide on your career path?

Whilst working on a temporary contract, I decided it was what I wanted to do permanently.
I have always liked helping people, and my friends tend to come to me for advice, so I did some research and decided that becoming a psychologist might be something to consider. It sounds very interesting, and I just see myself going in that direction.
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
Whilst working on a temporary contract, I decided it was what I wanted to do permanently.

Did you have a feeling before you started your temporary contract that this could possibly what you wanted to do for the rest of your life? Or did you just fall in love with it when you started working? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by everything1177
I have always liked helping people, and my friends tend to come to me for advice, so I did some research and decided that becoming a psychologist might be something to consider. It sounds very interesting, and I just see myself going in that direction.

Awesome :smile: Aspirations to become a psychologist seems very popular these days.
Awesome :smile: Aspirations to become a psychologist seems very popular these days.

Yeah. Hopefully I will be able to find an actual job because of the amount of people wanting to do it :colondollar:
I love Chemistry so I wanted to do something with that, I then narrowed to pharmacology and right now I want to be a neuropharmacologist but knowing me that's subject to change :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by MidnightDream
I love Chemistry so I wanted to do something with that, I then narrowed to pharmacology and right now I want to be a neuropharmacologist but knowing me that's subject to change :smile:

Wow that's very specific :smile: How did you narrow it down to this point?
Wow that's very specific :smile: How did you narrow it down to this point?

I wanted to do something with drugs hence pharmacology but I wanted to do it in relation to the nervous system so it's basically just neuroscience and pharmacology mismashed together :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Not sure yet but I know I want to do maths because maths is the best
Reply 10
Did you have a feeling before you started your temporary contract that this could possibly what you wanted to do for the rest of your life? Or did you just fall in love with it when you started working? :smile:

I had no idea. In fact I actually had another job already lined up for after the temp contract before I'd even started.
By playing video games... Literally! I had no idea what I wanted to do in the long run before my GCSEs, but I enjoyed trading on the virtual market place on the game I played. I read into how I could improve my techniques and found out a lot of people offered online tutorials that made use of aspects of stock market trading and applied them to the game. I realised from then onwards that a degree in Economics would be for me, though now I'm not really looking to be a stockbroker, I'm more interested in becoming an economist or some sort of financial analyst! :smile:
One of my favourite quotes is: 'If you have a job doing something you love, you never have to work a day in your life'.
I think this a great thing to listen to if your planning your career! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Robbie242
Not sure yet but I know I want to do maths because maths is the best

I envy your passion for Maths..
Reply 14
Original post by Pro Crastination
By playing video games... Literally! I had no idea what I wanted to do in the long run before my GCSEs, but I enjoyed trading on the virtual market place on the game I played. I read into how I could improve my techniques and found out a lot of people offered online tutorials that made use of aspects of stock market trading and applied them to the game. I realised from then onwards that a degree in Economics would be for me, though now I'm not really looking to be a stockbroker, I'm more interested in becoming an economist or some sort of financial analyst! :smile:

Fascinating how the trivial things in life could potentially lead to something so much bigger and better :smile: Nice to see you following something you love doing.
Reply 15
Original post by Mr...
I just jumped about from job to job and I have been on EU or Corporate barrister for a few years now.
It went something like this

Footballer: I don't even...
Olympic Sprinter: Winning every sports day race really got me excited about that career. The 2012 Olympic games almost sparked this dream again but failed.
Teacher: Thought I would just have to take the register, write on the whiteboard and be bossy
CEO: To be honest it was all about the cash with this one.
Doctor: For a few weeks because my Mum said so
Teacher: Looking at it properly I would love to be a primary school teacher regardless of cash.
Prime Minister: I liked politics and was eager to be the first black one
Politicians: It was more practical than the above
Mayor of London: Same reason as Prime Minister and it felt more do-able
Barrister: Loved the job from day one
Solicitor: Was told be a teacher that I should forget about the above as this was more stable
Barrister: Bounced back to my dream job

That was my story.

Woah there :eek: How did you jump from profession to profession, given that you've got to do a certain amount of training for each? How did you get to be a doctor for just a few weeks? :confused:
I still don't know. I thought I knew for 5 years, then went to uni to study my "dream course" and found that I didn't actually enjoy that OR uni life very much. I dropped out, I have a full time job now but it's not the career I want to pursue for the rest of my life.
Just wondering when exactly people made their decision moment and how this decision came about. Have you decided? If not, how do you plan to decide on your career path?

I looked at doing things with my favourite subjects (Maths and Chemistry). Then when I found out what careers I could go into with those subjects, I researched them all and narrowed it down to like 3 or 4 that sounded really good or interesting.
Then I looked for a degree which covers a few of those career paths and decided that Chemical Engineering would be best for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need to know the answer to this question too :unsure:
I chose the degree I enjoyed most throughout my education which was biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending