The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's thread Mk IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by czechmishaout
If you worked there for over a year, you'll get the 2.5% from full year's wage. If you worked there between 6 and 11 months and 29 days :biggrin: you'll get a bonus based on half a year's wage.

I signed one day after the deadline for the half year's bonus (the deadline was Sept 27th). I wonder if the manager knew. :mad:

Is the deadline Sept 27th every year?

I joined in October 2014 and am worried I will miss it too.
Reply 3221
If you just look through the forum, there is advice littered everywhere as people ask this all the time :biggrin: But your wage should've been specified when you applied online. Had a quick look at the jobs website and it said 5.29 ph for under 18s.

Oh sorry :colondollar:never checked but i will thank you:smile:
Reply 3222
Original post by kyoti
what role did you apply for?
for general assistant: research about sainsbury's (go to their about us, any recent news) what appeals to you about them, your motivations for applying to the role, an example of when you worked as a team, delivered/been given excellent customer service. You will then be taken to the shop floor and be told to note down any good points and things that could be improved... ask some good questions in the end such as more about the team, training, ask about what it's like to work there etc.. don't ask about pay (shouldn't ask about pay in interviews unless the interviewer brings it up and you have to negotiate). I think those under 18 get paid 6.50 not sure.
Good Luck.

I appreciate it thank you:smile:
If anyone knows when The bonus gets paid I'd love to know :-)
Original post by msclaireypants
If anyone knows when The bonus gets paid I'd love to know :-)

Pretty sure it's May.
If you worked there for over a year, you'll get the 2.5% from full year's wage. If you worked there between 6 and 11 months and 29 days :biggrin: you'll get a bonus based on half a year's wage.

I signed one day after the deadline for the half year's bonus (the deadline was Sept 27th). I wonder if the manager knew. :mad:

thanks for your help :biggrin: ive been there about 7/8 months now so half a bonus is better than nothing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what can I do, I know i have to give 4 weeks notice when I want to leave but the thing is I have a possible start date for an apprenticeship but I've not got the apprenticeship yet and if I give my notice in and don't get the apprenticeship I won't have any money coming in so what can I do ?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snakeydave24
So what can I do, I know i have to give 4 weeks notice when I want to leave but the thing is I have a possible start date for an apprenticeship but I've not got the apprenticeship yet and if I give my notice in and don't get the apprenticeship I won't have any money coming in so what can I do ?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I wouldn't hand your notice in before you actually have confirmation from your potential new employers you have a future job or if everything falls through you'll have no job. You will need to stress that you have to give Sainsburys 4 weeks notice so need to know if you have the job sooner rather than later
I second this. It's stupid that there's no way to do it during the transaction. Especially when the person mentions it halfway through the transaction at a peak time with 10 people in line.

By far the best I've had is when I've given the customer the total for their shopping, to which they hand me scratch cards as payment without any indication during the transaction. It just slows everything down!
Original post by VickyTink
By far the best I've had is when I've given the customer the total for their shopping, to which they hand me scratch cards as payment without any indication during the transaction. It just slows everything down!

Yes. And then after they've asked you to cash them in and you've sorted it out on the till they then ask you for new scratch cards and lottery tickets. I spend half my time behind the till going backwards and forwards between the till and the lottery machine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VickyTink

Original post by greenfly125
Yes. And then after they've asked you to cash them in and you've sorted it out on the till they then ask you for new scratch cards and lottery tickets. I spend half my time behind the till going backwards and forwards between the till and the lottery machine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I love when they give me the scratchcards and say "just swap them" and then proceed to check their watch every 2 seconds and being really helpful - "Which number would you like?" "The same ones." Well do I look like I can see through the walls? Just tell me what number the scratchcard you want is. :mad:

Also, "a lucky dip for tonight." Lady, I do not give a hoot about lottery. I do not keep up with what lottery draw is each night. And I do not know what time the sale of lottery tickets ends. And I do not know what the difference between Marlboro Red and Gold is, seeing as I do not smoke, so do not ask me. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I love when they give me the scratchcards and say "just swap them" and then proceed to check their watch every 2 seconds and being really helpful - "Which number would you like?" "The same ones." Well do I look like I can see through the walls? Just tell me what number the scratchcard you want is. :mad:

Also, "a lucky dip for tonight." Lady, I do not give a hoot about lottery. I do not keep up with what lottery draw is each night. And I do not know what time the sale of lottery tickets ends. And I do not know what the difference between Marlboro Red and Gold is, seeing as I do not smoke, so do not ask me. :rolleyes:

working in petrol we get so many people asking us what oil they should put in their car. Like just because I work in a petrol station im not a mechanic, go read your car's manual! I am quite glad that our store is one of the ones that don't sell cigarettes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3232
I left Sainsburys in September and have just started applying for new jobs. Does anyone know the details for references from sainsburys? Think I remember reading before about it being HR Direct but not sure.

Thanks in advance
So I will be taking the Convenience Store Leader assessment in a couple days. My manager has quickly summed up what I should keep in mind - what the customers want (a clean, safe environment with full shelves) and what the company and law expect of us. Is there anything else that would help me prepare for the test? I really suck at stating the obvious so I'm a bit worried. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what sort of test? Is it the same one as you would do online when applying for the position? If so, you're right, customers are number 1. However if you get a sort of question where one of the options is giving customer a goodwill, then that's a no no.

If you're talking about your walk and talk, link everything you say to the company values.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by panda7190
I'm not sure what sort of test? Is it the same one as you would do online when applying for the position? If so, you're right, customers are number 1. However if you get a sort of question where one of the options is giving customer a goodwill, then that's a no no.

If you're talking about your walk and talk, link everything you say to the company values.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually have no clue, I only know there's going to be some assessment as my manager told me :biggrin: It's a written one, that I know for sure.
What do you mean about the goodwill? As in, do not let customers get away with paying less and stuff like that?
If a customer has any sort of complain (regarding anything, could be a customer service complain or a product that they bought or literally anything), a lot of times they are given a goodwill which could be for example £5 giftcard. This is done to keep the customer happy so they keep shopping with us as nowadays there's supermarkets everywhere and they can just go somewhere else. This is a normal thing to do in case of complaints. However I remember when doing my online assessment a similar scenario came up and when discussed it at work one day, I have been told that this wouldn't be an option to choose. Goodwill is as the name say, an act of good will, not an obligation.
Now, this is what I've been told :P so I don't wanna take 100% responsibility on this answer.
If your assessment is anything like my online test then always focus on what's best for customers and for business, I'm sure you'll be fine, it's not that difficult :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by panda7190
If a customer has any sort of complain (regarding anything, could be a customer service complain or a product that they bought or literally anything), a lot of times they are given a goodwill which could be for example £5 giftcard. This is done to keep the customer happy so they keep shopping with us as nowadays there's supermarkets everywhere and they can just go somewhere else. This is a normal thing to do in case of complaints. However I remember when doing my online assessment a similar scenario came up and when discussed it at work one day, I have been told that this wouldn't be an option to choose. Goodwill is as the name say, an act of good will, not an obligation.
Now, this is what I've been told :P so I don't wanna take 100% responsibility on this answer.
If your assessment is anything like my online test then always focus on what's best for customers and for business, I'm sure you'll be fine, it's not that difficult :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for all the tips! I planned to ask one of the two team leaders in our store but was unfortunate enough to work only with the manager and deputy manager during my last few shifts and I'll be taking the assessment the next time I'm in. So your advice is very helpful indeed :smile:
The interviewing procedures changed in Nov last year. So most of you will have done out of date interviews. the new ones are quite cool, but very labour intensive for us to complete :/
I'm glad I got in at Sainsbury's before they changed the interview procedure, what exactly does it involve now?
Original post by harrisp
I'm glad I got in at Sainsbury's before they changed the interview procedure, what exactly does it involve now?

It's not too bad... I had a group interview, we all had 1 to 1 interviews at the start, then we had a group activity where we looked at pictures and had to state what was wrong with them, one image was a colleague on her phone in the middle of an aisle, nothing very difficult, it was all done in an hour and a half :tongue:

That was literally the whole interview process, obviously there was the online test beforehand but that was it. :smile:
This was about a month ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending