The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's thread Mk IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samixcv
Hey guys/girls,
I've been employed with sainsburys for 9 weeks now (night shift). I've hated it since my first shift but I'd been getting through it telling myself 'dont quit' .. 'it will get better' blah blah... Well it hasn't. So tonight, instead of attending my shift, I declared myself rid of sainsburys and officially (or unofficially) unemployed. Yay:erm::biggrin: . I was just wondering, apart from being unemployed, having 0 income, falling into the 'lazy, prospect-less chav' recipient of jsa statistic & getting a shi*ty-to-no reference from sainsburys.. are there any repurcussions I could face for not handing in a notice and just abruptly quitting via non attendance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well technically they cannot force you to work...

Also, If they do try to contact you via phone and you don't reply then you are entered into the "intentions cycle" whereby Sainsbury's send you three separate letters requesting you to respond and after the said letters you contract is terminated...although, If you are planning not to work for Sainsbury's in the future, you can just ring them and say "it's not for you"
and when you apply for other jobs, don't mention sainsbury's
Original post by Elelea
I didn't realise until after I'd left the store. That particular supervisor isn't very good with breaks. Once I was doing 2.30-8.30 and didn't get my half hour break (despite reminding her from 5.30 onwards) until 7.45 so by the time I was back I served one customer before I had to cash up.

Why do you even need a break if your only doing 4 hours? I am pretty sure thats not allowed anyway...I work 4 hour shifts and by the time I start its already time to go home!
I see.

They can't force me to work but could they perhaps decide to not pay me, in regards to the shifts I had done prior to leaving?

It's not so much sainsburys or the work i had a problem with, it was rather the timing of the shifts. I guess I knew the impact working unsociable hours would have on my day-to-day life before I made the application and signed the contract, but to what extent i did not know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samixcv
I see.

They can't force me to work but could they perhaps decide to not pay me, in regards to the shifts I had done prior to leaving?

It's not so much sainsburys or the work i had a problem with, it was rather the timing of the shifts. I guess I knew the impact working unsociable hours would have on my day-to-day life before I made the application and signed the contract, but to what extent i did not know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They could(if they really wanted to) mess with your wage but it's highly unlikely as payroll is finished off weekly from sun to sat, so any days worked prior to last saturday are in the system(AFAIK)

Tbh, if you are worried about your pay you could go back tomorrow night and say you slept in(or ring up now).....then work until the cut of on a week on Saturday and finally just tell them you want out

Btw I am a team leader on shift
Original post by Lemon Haze
Why do you even need a break if your only doing 4 hours? I am pretty sure thats not allowed anyway...I work 4 hour shifts and by the time I start its already time to go home!

I don't. I never have a break on four hours.
Original post by samixcv
Hey guys/girls,
I've been employed with sainsburys for 9 weeks now (night shift). I've hated it since my first shift but I'd been getting through it telling myself 'dont quit' .. 'it will get better' blah blah... Well it hasn't. So tonight, instead of attending my shift, I declared myself rid of sainsburys and officially (or unofficially) unemployed. Yay:erm::biggrin: . I was just wondering, apart from being unemployed, having 0 income, falling into the 'lazy, prospect-less chav' recipient of jsa statistic & getting a shi*ty-to-no reference from sainsburys.. are there any repurcussions I could face for not handing in a notice and just abruptly quitting via non attendance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As you were wishing the 12 week trial period that Sainsburys use you shoul be entitled to terminate your contract at any point, just like they can do the same. Plus at the end of the day, the notice period is not enforceable. It's considered courteous to work it but there's no way they can force you to do so. The only thing that it could have an impact upon is if you want a decent reference from them.
HI
Has anybody else in Scotland been dealing with the aftermath of the Scottish Daily Mail publishing that Sainsbury's offers 25% off when you buy 6 bottles of wine? I did overtime in BWS in a superstore for two days and I had at least 10 people come up to me each day and ask about it. Most were luckily understanding when I explained that the Mail had it wrong, it only applies in England and it's actually against the law here, but some were angry.

Also, we were not allowed to give away the empty wine boxes due to the 5p charge - apparently it classifies as a single use carrier and we cannot give them out. A few customers decided to argue with me about it, but c'mon, it's not like I'm the person who decided on implementing that policy and I won't get in trouble for not following orders from above.
Original post by czechmishaout
Has anybody else in Scotland been dealing with the aftermath of the Scottish Daily Mail publishing that Sainsbury's offers 25% off when you buy 6 bottles of wine? I did overtime in BWS in a superstore for two days and I had at least 10 people come up to me each day and ask about it. Most were luckily understanding when I explained that the Mail had it wrong, it only applies in England and it's actually against the law here, but some were angry.

Also, we were not allowed to give away the empty wine boxes due to the 5p charge - apparently it classifies as a single use carrier and we cannot give them out. A few customers decided to argue with me about it, but c'mon, it's not like I'm the person who decided on implementing that policy and I won't get in trouble for not following orders from above.

With regards to the wine boxes, we don't have any at our store (i think it's because they want people to buy wine bags) but because of the wine promotion (I'm in england) I'm constantly asked whether we have any. When I say no and apologise I have customers treat me like I'm the one who personally orders the wine carriers and am doing it to spite everyone. If you're going to buy 24 bottles of wine, maybe think about bringing something in to transport them home in?
I often leave empty boxes of wines near the bws ailse for customers and I don't need to bale them so that's a bonus

I had no idea Scotland was exempt from the 25% wine stunt they keep on running every so often, without notice...I know in Scotland, they push Irn-Bru more than other soft drinks
Original post by samixcv
Hey guys/girls,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I felt exactly like you, but I stuck with it as I desperatey needed the money. Night shifts are the worst :frown:

What days/hours did you do?

Why didn't you just do another 3 weeks, get past your probation period and ask for a transfer to days or look on insidemove for other vacancies?
Original post by harrisp
I felt exactly like you, but I stuck with it as I desperatey needed the money. Night shifts are the worst :frown:

What days/hours did you do?

Why didn't you just do another 3 weeks, get past your probation period and ask for a transfer to days or look on insidemove for other vacancies?

I've been in shift for years now from college/Uni and was sold the whole "move up in the company spiel"...suffice it to say it didn't materialise and I am still on shift as T/L...may face redundancy

The problem is the job market in my immediate reach is saturated and working shift you factor in the shift premium into your wage...hard to let go
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
There's definitely that at my store- we have about 5 people on it at the moment and I've asked HR if I can change my contract to only work Christmas/Summer and that's fine apparently.
I guess it's a store-by-store thing so the best people to ask are HR and see what they suggest. There's a dual contract available too which means you can work at a store near your uni during term time and home during holidays. Again, just ask HR :smile:

thank you! do you know if you get to keep your discount card even though you're not working during term time? I'll be on a really tight budget so it would help greatly
Original post by Laura57
thank you! do you know if you get to keep your discount card even though you're not working during term time? I'll be on a really tight budget so it would help greatly

Well I've just finished my first year at uni and I'm on a dual store contract so I got to keep my discount card. At my store they said nothing about that kind of contract so I'm not sure. According to the handbook in times of career breaks the discount card is deactivated so it might be a similar for students wanting to work during the holidays only. Hope that helps. :smile:
Original post by moneydon
I've been in shift for years now from college/Uni and was sold the whole "move up in the company spiel"...suffice it to say it didn't materialise and I am still on shift as T/L...may face redundancy

The problem is the job market in my immediate reach is saturated and working shift you factor in the shift premium into your wage...hard to let go

This from the announcements a few months back I take it? I thought they were re-deploying staff where possible, to late evenings, early mornings?

I'm lucky because there are probably 5+ Sainsbury's stores I could realistically work at, and about 2 locals all in my immediate area.

Surely you could salvage some kind of Sainsbury's job if redundancy is the only option? Have you tried putting your postcode on insidemove to see what comes up?
Just asking I'm on my second day of till training and I was wondering, when do we ID people in the transaction? Is it when we scan the restricted product or is it at the end of the transaction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stimpy27
Just asking I'm on my second day of till training and I was wondering, when do we ID people in the transaction? Is it when we scan the restricted product or is it at the end of the transaction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll know. When you scan a restricted item, a screen pops up and won't let you scan anything else before you approve/refuse the sale.
Original post by moneydon
I had no idea Scotland was exempt from the 25% wine stunt they keep on running every so often, without notice...I know in Scotland, they push Irn-Bru more than other soft drinks

It's because of the strict laws regarding alcohol here, not because of a Sainsbury's policy. We are prohibited from selling a multi-pack of something for a price lower than the single bottles would sell for - if a bottle of beer is £2, you cannot sell a 4-pack for less than £8. Also, no promotion of the "buy one, get one free" type when it comes to booze.
We also have a minimum price per a unit of alcohol, so you can never go below a certain price regardless of the brand (so stores' own brands cannot be dirt cheap).

In other news, I passed my Personal License Holder test yesterday, I can officially supervise the sale of alcohol on our premises for the next 10 years :biggrin:
Original post by stimpy27

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they look under 25 you must see ID before scanning the item. If you already scanned the item and the customer doesn't want to show you till then end, you can hit the 'no' button and that will get rid of the prompt and you can put the item to one side till the end of the transaction - however most customers have no issue with showing ID as soon as you ask.

One thing to remember is if you hit 'No ID' or 'Underage' etc, then you can't undo that so you have to put them through as a second transaction if the customers ID magically materializes after you pressed the button.
Wow thanks! This is going to take a time to get used to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending