The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's thread Mk IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reub
Literally the day after, but I have a feeling that it was so quick to process because I've already been interviewed/offered a job before...

Not sure if that had something to do with it, but usually the vacancy closes after the required amount of people has applied for it or the deadline expires.
Original post by reub
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34068658

Well that's quite something.

Got an interview on Tuesday for a General Assistant Role, looking forward to it. Have previously interviewed for a role on Checkouts and got it but turned it down because of the hours, hopefully this interview will be similar to the last and go smoothly!

Seems like Sainsbury's will be on par with tesco in terms of the pay then!
Original post by Pink Boy
Seems like Sainsbury's will be on par with tesco in terms of the pay then!

Not much difference ....and I'm not sure the figures are accurate tbh

Other factors to consider:

Working standards....I know morrisons Is hard work

More difficult to progress at Tesco but more opportunities at sainsburys

Cheap cooked meals for shift at Tesco
What is a RGS employee?
Hey guys,
Does anyone know how we do cashback at Sainsburys. I have my first shift on the checkouts tomorrow. Most of its straight forward it just that i cant really remember how to do cashback when customer wants one. Do we just hit the cashback button and do it or is it something else. Also does it matter when I do cashback, so will i be able to do it at the start of the sale or does it have to be at the end?
Original post by AfricanPrincess
What is a RGS employee?

It's a colleague with a very old contract probabl over 12 years and those colleagues have more benefits for working Saturday evening and Sunday....RGS stands for rewarding good service
Original post by Maddass911
Hey guys,
Does anyone know how we do cashback at Sainsburys. I have my first shift on the checkouts tomorrow. Most of its straight forward it just that i cant really remember how to do cashback when customer wants one. Do we just hit the cashback button and do it or is it something else. Also does it matter when I do cashback, so will i be able to do it at the start of the sale or does it have to be at the end?

There is a button with cashback on it in the payment screen. You can't do it at the very start because you can't switch to the payment screen until you've scanned an item. You can however scan something, hit enter, skip past the nectar prompt, and get to the payment screen, then hit 'cashback'. Then you can just hit 'no' and it will take you back to the scanning screen, you should see cashback is written at the bottom of the screen when you do it (next to where it says nectar, after you swype the nectar card). Then when you hit 'EFT' at then end it will come up with a prompt asking how much cashback. This is assuming your store is still using the old till software, not sure how similar the new till software is.
Anyone doing online shopping? OUR target is 116 items per hour but I can only pick about 80 how can I pick at least 116 in an hour it seems impossible
Ok, wow. So, I applied for a General Assistant role and the next day, got an email saying my application is being reviewed. About 10-12 days later (today), I get an email which says the following

"Further to our recent correspondence informing you that your application was being considered for General Asst GA Band 2 position at the (store name), we would like to confirm the outcome. Although you were successful in the online assessment, unfortunately we were unable to progress your application at this time. You have been released from this application which will allow you to immediately reapply for other positions advertised on the website.
We would certainly encourage you to reapply to Sainsbury's and wish you luck with any future applications you make to us."

Makes no sense!? Has this happened to anyone before?
Original post by Blyts-_
Ok, wow. So, I applied for a General Assistant role and the next day, got an email saying my application is being reviewed. About 10-12 days later (today), I get an email which says the following

"Further to our recent correspondence informing you that your application was being considered for General Asst GA Band 2 position at the (store name), we would like to confirm the outcome. Although you were successful in the online assessment, unfortunately we were unable to progress your application at this time. You have been released from this application which will allow you to immediately reapply for other positions advertised on the website.
We would certainly encourage you to reapply to Sainsbury's and wish you luck with any future applications you make to us."

Maybe ring them up and ask them why this happened?
Original post by Blyts-_

From the sounds of it they may have found someone for the position - could possibly be an internal application or something, I really don't know. Not all bad though, it means you'll be able to reapply straight away, others that don't get accepted usually have to wait 6 months. I don't think I've heard of this happening before though so it seems quite rare.
Original post by Blyts-_

Were you employed with JS before?

If so, then you may have failed the "RE-HIRE" criteria (i.e. your previous manager held a grudge against you), although they should have told you that on the phone when you dialled the 0345 number to arrange the interview.
I was just organising my interview with JS on the phone and was told that my character reference isn't suitable, and that I need a doctor, teacher, lawyer etc.

:confused:

I left uni a few years ago, I don't have anything like that anymore.

Yet I worked for JS for 7 years and left in fairly good standing so why would they even want/need a character reference with me? FFS.

My character reference is a family friend, but has been made redundant recently. lol I guess she isn't good enough for Sainsbury's referees...
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Were you employed with JS before?

If so, then you may have failed the "RE-HIRE" criteria (i.e. your previous manager held a grudge against you), although they should have told you that on the phone when you dialled the 0345 number to arrange the interview.

Nope, haven't been employed before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blyts-_

I haven't even started, and already I hate the company.

I called HR some time ago to confirm my induction, and while the person was telling me the dates, I told him that I was unavailable on one of the days and would need to contact my current employer. I then asked if there are any other available induction dates and he said he would find out.

Two hours later I get a voicemail telling me that there are no available dates and that HR is instructed to "release" me. I had to lie to him to buy time and eventually just said that I can confirm my availability on those induction dates.

Seriously, the guy was speaking in a really threatening tone and I did not like it one bit.
Maybe a silly question but can anyone remind me how to do a price check on checkouts? I'm sure they told us in training but I couldn't remember how to get to it so just scanned it then voided it back off. Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by totoro45
Maybe a silly question but can anyone remind me how to do a price check on checkouts? I'm sure they told us in training but I couldn't remember how to get to it so just scanned it then voided it back off. Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

I usually just scan it and then void it, but there should be an option on the screen before you start scanning which says price check or something.
I've only used it once and it gave me the wrong price :| haha
Original post by loloway
I haven't even started, and already I hate the company.

I called HR some time ago to confirm my induction, and while the person was telling me the dates, I told him that I was unavailable on one of the days and would need to contact my current employer. I then asked if there are any other available induction dates and he said he would find out.

Two hours later I get a voicemail telling me that there are no available dates and that HR is instructed to "release" me. I had to lie to him to buy time and eventually just said that I can confirm my availability on those induction dates.

Seriously, the guy was speaking in a really threatening tone and I did not like it one bit.

Someone I know applied for a team leader position due to redundancy, he was informed the interview is on a certain date which my friend could not attend due to prior commitments. He was subsequently told by sainsburys it's either that date or no interview.
Original post by totoro45

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can either use the price enquiry button, or just scan it. The price enquiry button however won't show you the correct price if it is on offer. For that you'll need to scan it and go to the payment screen so any reductions will come off.

If you scan it and need to sign off after you'll need to void the item then go to the payment screen and put it through as cash (make sure the total is £0 first) before it will let you sign off - that or you'll need a supervisor to void the transaction but either works.
Original post by annarchy.
I usually just scan it and then void it, but there should be an option on the screen before you start scanning which says price check or something.
I've only used it once and it gave me the wrong price :| haha

I must have missed it, I couldn't find the option anywhere. Sounds a bit pointless anyway though if it's going to give the wrong price haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending