The Student Room Group

Biology a level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by madting101
This is usually a 6 mark question
Antheroma is a cholesterol. Accumilations of antheroma in the artery wall will increase the blood pressure. Antheromas could leas to thrombosis by blood clots and also aneyrusm. The accumilations of antheroma cause the coronary arteries to become blocked. This then reduces the amount of oxygen being supplied to the heart muscle for respiration. As a result the heart muscle dies by a heart attack/ mycordial infarction

Detail!!!
Accumilations of antheroma in the artery wall will increase the blood pressure: How does it increase blood pressure? I would also refer to the atheroma as a LDL here.

Antheromas could leas to thrombosis by blood clots and also aneyrusm: Again, how does this happen?

This then reduces the amount of oxygen being supplied to the heart muscle for respiration: I know that its obvious, but I would really talk about blood here- seeing as it is actually the flow of blood which is being reduced rather than the flow of oxygen.

I know that I am being picky but the detail really is vital, especially at A2- good detailed answers are what seperate the A grade students and the A* students.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
is this question basically explaining the route of the blood from the sinoatrial node involving the atrioventricular node and septum? and bundle of his etc?

It's basically like saying, how will the addition of an artificial pace maker improve the patient's fitness and quality of life.
Reply 22
Thanks i think ive actually found my weakness detail. Any more questions please.
Reply 23
Original post by joeymr
Detail!!!
Accumilations of antheroma in the artery wall will increase the blood pressure: How does it increase blood pressure? I would also refer to the atheroma as a LDL here.

Antheromas could leas to thrombosis by blood clots and also aneyrusm: Again, how does this happen?

Is the increase of blood pressure caused by the heart having to pump faster because there is a high content of fat?
Reply 24
And what would be your tips for unit 2?
Reply 25
Thanks i think ive actually found my weakness detail. Any more questions please.

Excellent :smile:

Describe and explain the process of a heartbeat.

Try and pay extra attention to the use of key terms this time :smile:
Basically i believe that i am ready for my aqa as unit 1 biology exam, could everyone ask me questions, and i will then answer them, relating to biology questions, thanks.

So everyone of us may ask you a question about biology? no matter if the member knows the answer or not? no matter what topic it is? okay here is my question:

What happens in a light reaction and what in a dark reaction of a potosynthesis? name the most important things only!
Reply 27
Original post by zed963
Is the increase of blood pressure caused by the heart having to pump faster because there is a high content of fat?

No :smile:

Basically the build up of the atheroma within the walls of the coronary arteries narrows the lumen of the artery. This increases the blood pressure because there will be less space for the blood to flow, which packs the blood cells closer together.
Reply 28
This is usually a 6 mark question
Antheroma is a cholesterol. Accumilations of antheroma in the artery wall will increase the blood pressure. Antheromas could leas to thrombosis by blood clots and also aneyrusm. The accumilations of antheroma cause the coronary arteries to become blocked. This then reduces the amount of oxygen being supplied to the heart muscle for respiration. As a result the heart muscle dies by a heart attack/ mycordial infarction

You just really need to improve your wording. Firstly, you keep using antheroma...it's atheroma, spelling will be picked up on. Secondly, Atheroma isn't "a cholesterol". They are small fatty build ups that develop inside the lining of blood vessels. Your answer implies that any single cholesterol molecule is an atheroma.

You have said it leads to thrombosis which is correct but you need to explain how it leads to thrombosis. You have used a few words which you haven't explained.

"The accumilations of antheroma". Again this is just sloppy English. You mean the accumulation of atheromas. You then say this blocks the coronary arteries so the amount of oxygen being supplied is reduced...again explain. The blockage prevents red blood cells from getting to the cardiac cells so they cannot supply oxygen. Your answer implied that it was the oxygen that gets blocked when it is really the red blood cells carrying the oxygen.

At the end, the heart muscle dies by a heart attack...no. The muscle cells die due to lack of oxygen which leads to a heart attack.

Throughout your answer I knew exactly what you meant to say and I know you know the material but you are wording it very badly (and sometimes incorrectly). Honestly I would say that answer would get 3 or 4 out of 6.

I'm just being honest here because you clearly want to do well and have a good base knowledge you just need to really improve the wording and quality of the answers.
I will be doing AQA BIOL in the summer as well!
How about these...

1. What is the equation for pulmonary ventilation?
2. How do inspiration and expiration work in terms of muscle movement?
3. Explain how a T lymphocyte would respond to a pathogen.
4. Why are monoclonal antibodies useful?
Reply 30
Original post by Kallisto
So everyone of us may ask you a question about biology? no matter if the member knows the answer or not? no matter what topic it is? okay here is my question:

What happens in a light reaction and what in a dark reaction of a potosynthesis? name the most important things only!

This is unit 4 knowledge mate, hes asked for questions on unit 1 only :smile:
Reply 31
The sinoatrial node is mygenic. The sinoatrial node sends a wave of electrical activity, causing the atrium to contract. The non conductive tissue known as the atrioventricular septum prevents the wave of electrical activity spreading across to the ventricles. The atrioventricular node causes a delay allowing the atrium to empty its blood. The atrioventricular node then sends a wave of electrical activity down the bundle of his to then ventricles causing them to contract from the apex upwards.
Original post by joeymr

Good to know, but as foreigner I have no idea what counts to the different units, as I don't know the structure of the British education system. Sorry!
Reply 33
Original post by joeymr
Excellent :smile:

Describe and explain the process of a heartbeat.

Try and pay extra attention to the use of key terms this time :smile:

Heart beat

Well, the initial wave of electricity is sent by the sino atrial node which acts as a pacemaker, it sends a wave of electrical activity which spread through both of the atrias causing them to contract atrial systole. This forces the blood into the ventricle, the atrial pressure is greater than ventricular pressure thus causing the atrioventricular valves to open. The SAN wave cannot reaching the ventricle due to the firbous non conducting tissue lining the top of the ventricle,
Once the SAN wave reaches the AVN, the AVN delays for a second allowing the atrias to completely empty, the AVN then sends a wave of electrical activity through the bundle of his and purkyne fibres, the ventricles contract from the apex upwards forcing the blood into the aorta or pulmonary artery. Atrial systole occurs at this point.

Cycle repeats.
Reply 34
Original post by Munrot07
You just really need to improve your wording. Firstly, you keep using antheroma...it's atheroma, spelling will be picked up on. Secondly, Atheroma isn't "a cholesterol". They are small fatty build ups that develop inside the lining of blood vessels. Your answer implies that any single cholesterol molecule is an atheroma.

You have said it leads to thrombosis which is correct but you need to explain how it leads to thrombosis. You have used a few words which you haven't explained.

"The accumilations of antheroma". Again this is just sloppy English. You mean the accumulation of atheromas. You then say this blocks the coronary arteries so the amount of oxygen being supplied is reduced...again explain. The blockage prevents red blood cells from getting to the cardiac cells so they cannot supply oxygen. Your answer implied that it was the oxygen that gets blocked when it is really the red blood cells carrying the oxygen.

At the end, the heart muscle dies by a heart attack...no. The muscle cells die due to lack of oxygen which leads to a heart attack.

Throughout your answer I knew exactly what you meant to say and I know you know the material but you are wording it very badly (and sometimes incorrectly). Honestly I would say that answer would get 3 or 4 out of 6.

I'm just being honest here because you clearly want to do well and have a good base knowledge you just need to really improve the wording and quality of the answers.

THANKYOU SO MUCH, exactly what my teacher says omg.
Reply 35
Original post by Kallisto
Good to know, but as foreigner I have no idea what counts to the different units, as I don't know the structure of the British education system. Sorry!

Oh right, sorry haha. In England, at least on my exam board (AQA), detailed knowledge of photosynthesis is A2 (second year) knowledge so he wouldnt be able to answer it (he is first year- AS) :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by joeymr

could i have feedback on heartbeat question please
Reply 37
Any more questions UNIT 1 AND 2 FOR ME? ( EXCLUDING TOPIC 16 AND 17 AS WE HAVE NOT COMPLETED IT). Many Thanks.
Reply 38
THANKYOU SO MUCH, exactly what my teacher says omg.

Have a go at this. I personally don't think it is too bad a question but it makes you think and wording is important here.

An organism is placed in water and the organism contains enzyme A and its substrate, protein A. Enzyme A is involved in the digestion of protein A

The temperature is increased far beyond the optimum point for the enzyme but is perfect for the protein. What effect will this have on protein digestion? (4 marks)
Reply 39
The sinoatrial node is mygenic. The sinoatrial node sends a wave of electrical activity, causing the atrium to contract. The non conductive tissue known as the atrioventricular septum prevents the wave of electrical activity spreading across to the ventricles. The atrioventricular node causes a delay allowing the atrium to empty its blood. The atrioventricular node then sends a wave of electrical activity down the bundle of his to then ventricles causing them to contract from the apex upwards.

This is much better in terms of detail :smile: for a question like this I think its very important to clearly outline the steps in order. I would answer the question like this, using bullet points.

- The sinoatrial node produces an electrical impulse which spreads across the atria, causing them to contract.
- After a short delay (to allow the ventricles to fill with blood following the contraction of the atria), the electrical impulse stimulates the atrioventricular node, causing it to pass an electrical impulse down to atrioventricular septum to the bundle of His.
- From the bundle of His, the impulse is carried to the base of the ventricles to the purkinje fibres.
- This causes the ventricles to contract from the apex upwards, forcing blood into the pulmonary artery and the aorta.

Using bullet points is really helpful for a question like this in my opinion, it really helps to show the steps and demonstrates to the examiner that you can present information logically :smile:

-

Quick Reply

Latest