The Student Room Group

Biology a level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by madting101
ZED963 are you currently doing biology alevel?

yes
Original post by zed963
I'll have a go at this. I've no idea what it's referring to as I do AQA.

Anyway,

Two types of RNA
mRNA
tRNA

mRNA is formed and sent to the ribosome to produce amino acids.
The sequence of amino acids then produce antibodies.
The shape is specific due to the structure and the variable region can only form a complex with the specific antigen.
RNA probably also builds the cells.
Allows phagocytosis.

Considering you don't do OCR Biology that's pretty good , you would have scored like 4/8 which isnt bad for someone who doesnt even ocr as i said lol. For full marks you had to be really specific and say that antibodies are proteins.(1) You then would need to describe the route the mRNA takes from the nucleus through the nuclear pore(s) in the nucleur envelope (1) Then you would describe how tRNA carries the appropriate amino acids to the ribosome for the sequencing of amino acids in relation to the sequence of nitrogenous bases on the mRNA strand. (1) You would then score QWC for relating 2 marking points together or something like that (1).
maybe its me but personally i don't like ocr, maybe its because i don't do it.

OCR beats AQA anyday :wink:
Reply 163
Original post by lilovethebio
Considering you don't do OCR Biology that's pretty good , you would have scored like 4/8 which isnt bad for someone who doesnt even ocr as i said lol. For full marks you had to be really specific and say that antibodies are proteins.(1) You then would need to describe the route the mRNA takes from the nucleus through the nuclear pore(s) in the nucleur envelope (1) Then you would describe how tRNA carries the appropriate amino acids to the ribosome for the sequencing of amino acids in relation to the sequence of nitrogenous bases on the mRNA strand. (1) You would then score QWC for relating 2 marking points together or something like that (1).

Yeah that makes sense, I was just lacking detail.
I just wrote in note form.
Reply 164
Original post by zed963
yes

wow your good. Whats your form of revision and how many hours do you spend doing biology everyday?
Reply 165
Original post by lilovethebio
OCR beats AQA anyday :wink:

looool nah, you must be sniffing chicken
Reply 166
wow your good. Whats your form of revision and how many hours do you spend doing biology everyday?

I'm not that good tbh, I've still got all of unit 2 to revise and unit 1 to recap refresh.

I don't always do biology everyday. I try to do bits here and there on things that I don't like.

I'm concentrating more on physics and maths as I'm terrible at them.

I did focus on unit 1 a lot in January because we had a mock exam then so I still remember the stuff.
Here's some simple, easy recall questions. I have a ton if anyone wants some more.

1. What is cardiac output?

2. Why do arteries have thick elastic walls?
3. What is the simple equation for working out cardiac output?
4. What is the function of the valves?
5. Name the 4 chambers of the heart
6. Where is the bundle of His situated in the heart?
7. What is the name of the valve on the left side of the heart?
8. What is the name of the valve on the right side of the heart?
9. What is cardiac muscle composed of?
Reply 168
Original post by HarryRiley88
Here's some simple, easy recall questions. I have a ton if anyone wants some more.

1. What is cardiac output?
2. Why do arteries have thick elastic walls?
3. What is the simple equation for working out cardiac output?
4. What is the function of the valves?
5. Name the 4 chambers of the heart
6. Where is the bundle of His situated in the heart?
7. What is the name of the valve on the left side of the heart?
8. What is the name of the valve on the right side of the heart?
9. What is cardiac muscle composed of?

1. Heart rate * stroke volume
2. To withstand the high blood pressure caused by the contraction of the ventricle, the artery springs back to cause a recoil action when the blood pressure in the artery in low
3. Heart rate * stroke volume
4. to prevent the back flow of blood in the vein when the blood pressure is low
5. Left, right atria, left right ventricle
6. The Bundle of His is situated in between the left and right ventricles, connected to the purkjene fibres
7. atrioventricular valve (bicuspid)
8.atrioventricular valve (tricuspid)
9. myogenic cells
Reply 169
Original post by JackTeh96
1. Heart rate * stroke volume
2. To withstand the high blood pressure caused by the contraction of the ventricle, the artery springs back to cause a recoil action when the blood pressure in the artery in low
3. Heart rate * stroke volume
4. to prevent the back flow of blood in the vein when the blood pressure is low
5. Left, right atria, left right ventricle
6. The Bundle of His is situated in between the left and right ventricles, connected to the purkjene fibres
7. atrioventricular valve (bicuspid)
8.atrioventricular valve (tricuspid)
9. myogenic cells

You forgot your semi lunar valves.

Also the bundle of his is located in the septum.
Reply 170
Original post by zed963
I'm not that good tbh, I've still got all of unit 2 to revise and unit 1 to recap refresh.

I don't always do biology everyday. I try to do bits here and there on things that I don't like.

I'm concentrating more on physics and maths as I'm terrible at them.

I did focus on unit 1 a lot in January because we had a mock exam then so I still remember the stuff.

yeah same. Over the first week of the holiday obviously whilsts till revising my other subjects, i also done proper unit 1 biology revision up to about unit 3, ill finish that off soon. Yeah i started unit 2 like on monday
Reply 171
Original post by zed963
I'll have a go at this. I've no idea what it's referring to as I do AQA.

Anyway,

Two types of RNA
mRNA
tRNA

mRNA is formed and sent to the ribosome to produce amino acids.
The sequence of amino acids then produce antibodies.
The shape is specific due to the structure and the variable region can only form a complex with the specific antigen.
RNA probably also builds the cells.
Allows phagocytosis.

Zed what would the table consist of for this experiment? http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-biology/investigating-effect-concentration-blackcurrant-squash-osmosis-chipped-potatoes
Reply 172

Volume of solution/conc of solution.
Mass of potato
Change in mass of potato
Percentage change.

You could do averages.

I'm assuming that you're keeping time constant.

I've done this experiment about 6 times, its blackcurrent dilution/concentration, initial mass, end mass, change in mass, % change in mass.
Reply 174
Are you sure it wouldn't be concentration of black currant, initial mass, end mass, then percentage change in mass? All I h have is remove the change in mass
Are you sure it wouldn't be concentration of black currant, initial mass, end mass, then percentage change in mass? All I h have is remove the change in mass

I got told to do change in mass aswell but you're not gonna lose marks for leaving it on there so better to be safe than sorry.
Reply 176
I got told to do change in mass aswell but you're not gonna lose marks for leaving it on there so better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah your right, I'll just include it never know
Reply 177

So basic change in mass would just be : final mass- initial mass
So basic change in mass would just be : final mass- initial mass

End mass-initial mass/ initial mass x 100
Anyone done A2 populations isa?

Quick Reply

Latest