The Student Room Group

A-Level grades with Swiss Maturité

Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing my first year at the college, preparing for my "Maturité" that I'm going to have at the end of the third year. During the third year, there are, unlike the classical A-level in UK, fourteen subject: mathematics, italian, english, french, biology, chemistry, physics, history, geography, art, philosophy, "travail de maturité" (a sort of thesis of about 20-30 pages about a subject, which counts as a grade), the "option complémentaire" which is choosen in a wide range of options such as history of the religions, computer sciences, sport, ... and, finally, my specialization, ancient Greek. At the end of the third year, all this subjects have a grade, and 5 of them (ancient greek, english, french, italian and maths) are subject to an examination which is the "Maturité" (the grade at the "Maturité" will be combined with the grade of the year to make the final grade). Now my question is: if I whish to do, by exeample, natural sciences at Cambridge, it is specified: "Essential At least two science/mathematics A Levels/IB Higher Levels", I do have at least to science/maths subects (bio/chemistry/physics/further mathematics) but only one of this four will have a grade at the "Maturité". Cambridge wants at least two of this subject at my A-level, which is the case, or Cambridge wants at least two of them with the grade at the "Maturité" ?

Thanks for reading my long text (which contains certainly mistakes, and I'm sorry for that), and thanks for your future answers !
Most universities have a country-specific information page available. You should look at those, since every country's system is different. Don't compare your grades to A-levels, it will only cause confusion for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by dresyios
Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing my first year at the college, preparing for my "Maturité" that I'm going to have at the end of the third year. During the third year, there are, unlike the classical A-level in UK, fourteen subject: mathematics, italian, english, french, biology, chemistry, physics, history, geography, art, philosophy, "travail de maturité" (a sort of thesis of about 20-30 pages about a subject, which counts as a grade), the "option complémentaire" which is choosen in a wide range of options such as history of the religions, computer sciences, sport, ... and, finally, my specialization, ancient Greek. At the end of the third year, all this subjects have a grade, and 5 of them (ancient greek, english, french, italian and maths) are subject to an examination which is the "Maturité" (the grade at the "Maturité" will be combined with the grade of the year to make the final grade). Now my question is: if I whish to do, by exeample, natural sciences at Cambridge, it is specified: "Essential At least two science/mathematics A Levels/IB Higher Levels", I do have at least to science/maths subects (bio/chemistry/physics/further mathematics) but only one of this four will have a grade at the "Maturité". Cambridge wants at least two of this subject at my A-level, which is the case, or Cambridge wants at least two of them with the grade at the "Maturité" ?

Thanks for reading my long text (which contains certainly mistakes, and I'm sorry for that), and thanks for your future answers !

I'm Swiss too (but from the Italian part) and I know that there are specific entry requirements for us and you can easily find them on the websites of almost every uni in the UK.
Hi, I applied to uni this year with the Swiss Matura (taking exams in May) and applied to cambridge for Computer Science. While I didn't get in and am going to York in September, Cambridge usually asks for a 5.1 average with 3 5.5s in relevant subjects, regardless of whether they're one of the five examined subjects. It varies a bit (I know someone who needs a 5.3 average for medicine), but that's usually their benchmark. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending