The Student Room Group

Sensitivity

OK. This may not encompass all I want to say but here goes. Does anyone here feel more sensitive than those that surround them? Like you don't really connect with anyone? Does anyone wonder about the impact they have on the world, who really cares and who they mean anything to, and how they impact the world, and who might value them?
Reply 1
Does anyone feel themselves not making the impact they once did feel duller than they once were, like they've not as much to offer people? more adrift in a competitive world and sea of prominent people, when you used to be prominent yourself? Wondering about how interesting you really are and what impact you make?
Yes to your first post, no to your second. The second sounds like someone who's just been made redundant. The first I can relate to.
Reply 3
generalebriety
Yes to your first post, no to your second. The second sounds like someone who's just been made redundant. The first I can relate to.

That's a worry, 'cos it's kind of me
What is?
Anonymous
OK. This may not encompass all I want to say but here goes. Does anyone here feel more sensitive than those that surround them? Like you don't really connect with anyone? Does anyone wonder about the impact they have on the world, who really cares and who they mean anything to, and how they impact the world, and who might value them?

Ding.
Reply 6
Anonymous

I wouldn't be much of a poet if I didn't.
very few people in this world cause any impact, throughout history thier have only been a handful of those who have made an impact, ceaser alexander, hitler chrucholl napolean etc
Reply 8
That would depend upon how you define "making an impact", when you say that do you mean in such a way that you will be remembered for centuries, or just that there are people who have at some stage benefited from your existence, and have been happy that you have been there for them, cheered someone up, made life seem that little bit better...because for me that too can be enough of an impact, but that might just be me...making just one person smile, and helping just one person can be enough.
There are many people in my life, who although they haven't done anything astounding or worldchanging, have changed my life and helped me so much even without knowing how much of a difference they are making. For me being able to do something like that for anyone else would be more than enough...
That post is not particularly lucid, but I hope you see what I am getting at
:biggrin:
Reply 9
I'm an extremely sensitive and anxious person, but i'd say it only is apparent in terms of i'm very literal and if someone says something it means everything to me. But I never so much take it out on myself and downgrade my own person, because i am who i am for along time and i don't see the point :smile:
Anonymous

yep, it makes it hard for me to try and get people to understand me, and alota people seem really shallow to me, even though they're smiling and they maybe happy for some reason it looks fake to me, there a some very few i've met who truely seem happy, when you look at them you can see deep inside they're happy when they smile/laugh.
I always do but its usually when im on my own and i have time to reflect. I love thinking about things like that on late night walks but i suppose it can make me depressed. I still can't get my head around the whole 'what is the point of life?' question and its something that i struggle with, i just kind of have to say that im going to live everyday to the full because there is no point in life but i know that that isnt the answer.

Sensitive people would normally connect better with other people? They'd be more empathetic.
i used to have this problem, but i found this to be really helpful
Reply 14
Yeah, with regard to your first post I know how you feel. I question things a lot and feel disconnected. I also tend to get offended by a lot of things that don't bother anyone else and it sometimes upsets me that I can't just be light-hearted and not worry about things all the time.
Reply 15
wave_o_mutilation
Sensitive people would normally connect better with other people? They'd be more empathetic.

I think that's partly true, but at the same time that's not necessarily truly connecting with someone, I believe that to be more about adapting yourself to cater for their interests and needs.
generalebriety

Same here, pretty much. I am surprised sometimes at how I am affected by things which other people don't even seem to notice, let alone care about. As for the "connecting" issue, I definitely feel the way you have described. I am always worried about how I don't manage to communicate the way I feel to people accurately (or conversely that other people don't seem to understand what I'm communicating).
I've reached a point in my life where I can look back and see where I made big mistakes and reflect on how different things could and should have been. It's the first time I've ever really felt this kind of regret and loss and it's quite hard to come to terms with.

It has definitely made me feel more distant and disconnected from the people around me.
Life is completely meaningless and we are all going to die, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If anything it's a relief: there is no ultimate goal, no state of enlightenment to be achieved. What's important is to just enjoy yourself: trite but true. Although to be honest I am completely terrified of not being remembered and making an impact (and I mean a substantial one, not 'making someone smile' or any of that *******s). That's ugly and shallow I know, but I can't help it.

Latest

Trending

Trending