The Student Room Group

GEP at Barts, Kings or Imperial?!? Help!

Although I didn't think this would ever ever ever ever happen, I'm in the extremely lucky position of having four offers to study Graduate Medicine!
However I'm really struggling to decide which course to firm! I have a list of pros and cons for them all, and think I've narrowed it down to either Imperial or Kings, but I wonder if I could ask advice to check whether I'm considering all that I should be?
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

King's! I might be slightly biased though... :smile:
Original post by Lj987
Although I didn't think this would ever ever ever ever happen, I'm in the extremely lucky position of having four offers to study Graduate Medicine!
However I'm really struggling to decide which course to firm! I have a list of pros and cons for them all, and think I've narrowed it down to either Imperial or Kings, but I wonder if I could ask advice to check whether I'm considering all that I should be?
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so jealous of you :frown: I have four rejections :'(
But if I was in your position, I would choose Imperial. But then again, I'm majorly in love with them so I could be biased too haha

And good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Go imperial, then again, I'm biased too, that's there I'll be going!
Reply 4
I vote imperial also - I chose between the two and went for imperial!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AnushkasHero
I'm so jealous of you :frown: I have four rejections :'(
But if I was in your position, I would choose Imperial. But then again, I'm majorly in love with them so I could be biased too haha

And good luck :smile:

I got four rejections pre interview last year - don't give up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you to those who have replied... any particular reasons for your choices?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Lj987
Thank you to those who have replied... any particular reasons for your choices?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I went for imperial for a few reasons:

1) I had that 'gut feeling'!!
2) bigger cohort and teaching style
3) reputation
4) area = closer to home

None of these reasons were individually that big, nor were any of then a massive downside for KCL - I just think, overall, I felt good about imperial and could really imagine myself there.

They're both fantastic places so there probably isn't a wrong choice - just a personal preference!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lj987
I got four rejections pre interview last year - don't give up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, thats amazing how you came back and got all those offers!
What did you do differently ? Any advice for me? :smile:
I think KCL has a larger cohort than imperial.. king's is the largest medical school in europe apparently! I'm loving it so far, and learning so much. The anatomy teaching is supposedly the best out of all the london schools, and i can see why. But i'm sure wherever you go you'll enjoy it.
Reply 10
Original post by master y
I think KCL has a larger cohort than imperial.. king's is the largest medical school in europe apparently! I'm loving it so far, and learning so much. The anatomy teaching is supposedly the best out of all the london schools, and i can see why. But i'm sure wherever you go you'll enjoy it.

The GEM cohort at KCL is 28 compared to 47-50 at imperial and we've applied to GEM!

Both are fantasic places (as I said) and as you say, everywhere would be great and in the end, it's all down to personal preference over the details (location, teaching style etc etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Go to Imperial.
Reply 12
Might be a bit late but I firmed Bart's over Imperial. Preferred the teaching style, MUCH closer to home, great domestic rankings (didn't really consider the international rankings, only one behind Imperial), great dissection teaching, large cohort, LOVED the facilities (library in particular and Charterhouse Square), massive investment in the trust (new £1 billion Royal London) plus a good reputation for teaching, and have friends who go there and can't say anything bad about it!

You've got a good decision to make, and they are all great medical schools. Which ever one you choose I'm sure you'll get an excellent medical education.

The only thing that almost turned me was the investment that Imperial make for clubs and sport which is more than Bart's. However I think Bart's has a very active student union, also a good pre-hospital care programme society (with HEMs just over the road!!)
Reply 13
Original post by AnushkasHero
Wow, thats amazing how you came back and got all those offers!
What did you do differently ? Any advice for me? :smile:

Thank you :smile: I added a lot to my application but I think the thing that made the difference was my UKCAT. If I were you I would definitely focus lots on the entrance exams and then use your scores to decide where to apply. If you need any more advice you're welcome to message me!

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'm still a little undecided but swaying towards Imperial!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Imperial are withdrawing their four year graduate programme as of next year though so you would be the last cohort. It would probably have no effect, but may be worth adding into your considerations that just maybe they'd be less focussed on the programme since they'd be winding it down?
(edited 9 years ago)
The three best Gems in the country bar Oxbridge, George's and Bristol. Many congrats. Personally I'd go for imperial all are world class but imperial has the brand name as a university in general. Tbh my decision is more on social factors rather than academic. Then again Bart's has the history as does Kings.
Reply 16
Original post by D0lly
Imperial are withdrawing their four year graduate programme as of next year though so you would be the last cohort. It would probably have no affect, but may be worth adding into your considerations that just maybe they'd be less focussed on the programme since they'd be winding it down?

Where did you get that information? I've heard they are possibly making it a 5 year course with a year in research, but not stopping it altogether?
Reply 17
Original post by D0lly
Imperial are withdrawing their four year graduate programme as of next year though so you would be the last cohort. It would probably have no effect, but may be worth adding into your considerations that just maybe they'd be less focussed on the programme since they'd be winding it down?

Yeah I wonder whether it will make a difference with lecturers not bothering to record the lectures etc as that's something I really liked at King's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by mzoorw
Where did you get that information? I've heard they are possibly making it a 5 year course with a year in research, but not stopping it altogether?

I've heard that they are definitely extending it to a five year course but not stopping it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by mzoorw

Oh perhaps you're correct. I'm not sure how that would influence the funding etc. I know this wouldn't directly affect the OPs cohort, I just personally would be deterred by the uncertainty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest