The Student Room Group

How far away from your uni did you live before you went there?

i remember my brother went to a uni 30 miles away from where we live , so was just wondering how far away the uni was away from your orginal house?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
about 2.5 hrs drive
Reply 2
My brother went to Newcastle Uni and i'm off to Birmingham.
We live in London and neither of us even applied to London Universities because we both wanted to live away from home. We both believe that is the best way to experience it. :smile:
200 miles!

But it took me 7 hours to get home yesterday because of the traffic :c
Reply 4
1700 miles

that was in the US though
Reply 5
UG: Oxfordshire --> Birmingham = 70-100miles?
PG: Birmingham --> St Andrews = 350-400 miles?
About ~100 miles is the quickest route.
The public transport though involves 2 buses and 2 trains, so about 4 hours to do. Really should learn to drive at some point would only take me about 1hr30min-2hr instead then.
175 miles, 3 hours by train, 4 hours door to door.

It's been fine distance wise - close enough that a weekend at home is entirely feasible, not so close that I could avoid cutting the apron strings!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Only 95 miles for me :h: . But a pain to do on the train (about 3-3.5 hours) due to so many changes :yucky: . It's a good distance as it's not too tiring travelling that far by car or train :h:
900 miles - but I guess this thread is meant only for UK people, since us EUs are always going to live farther away :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It'll only be about 21 miles for me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
100 miles for me. It'd be 2 hours on the M1 by car but I get the coach which means at least 2 1/2 hours on that :frown:
Reply 13
Firm is around 60 miles away, and my insurance is 130 miles away. Distance wasn't really a factor in my decision
30-40 minutes in a car. I've been here 8 months and only ever been home once for like 4 days. Easter holidays now and not going back.. lolololololol yeeeeeeee boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't understand why people go back.
Reply 15
About 300 miles, SE to NW.
4.5 to 5 hours.
(edited 9 years ago)
70 miles, about 90 minutes drive. It's actually a longer journey by train because I have to go in the opposite direction for 10 minutes then change :/ 1 hour 20 on the train then 25 minute drive home from the station.

I think it's the perfect distance, it's far enough away that I am independent but close enough that I can come home whenever I want because it's only 2 hours and £20. Plus at the end of terms it's close enough that my parents can easily drive to pick me up so I can take everything I want to home, not restricted by how much I can carry on the train.
About 170ish miles
jst under 100 miles- takes me 2 hours
3.5 hours
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply