The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Shared/Twin Accomodation and having a girlfriend, also questions about self-catering!

Hey!

Got an offer at Imperial for MCompSci A*AAA (A* maths, A physics, computing and Further maths) and was just wondering about accomodation!

I want to apply for a twin/shared en suite room at either Southside or East side and was just wondering if anyone could share their experiences about having girlfriends/boyfriends over to stay when living in these twin rooms? Is it awkward? While we can both fit in a single pretty easily, I'd just like to hear opinions about when/how/if people do this? :smile:

Also, what's it like living Self-catered? Obviously you have a shared kitchen, but when it comes to breakfast and dinner, what normally happens? Do you team up with various people, then each take it in turn to cook or something? Or do you generally just cook for yourself? What about breakfast? Just want to get a general feel for how things are gonna be! :biggrin:

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Tom
Pretty much in your position bro
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Good to hear someone else is having the same dilemma! :')

Hopefully this bump will prompt a response from someone else :wink: haha
I didn't share a room, so I can't advice you regarding having girlfriends over, but I'm guessing it would be a little awkward for your roommate if you had someone in bed with you!

Regarding cooking, people start off cooking dinner together in the first couple of weeks, but after that it's just easier to cook your own food, because people have different schedules, different budgets and different preferences for food. Say if you join any societies, most have meetings in the evenings, so you and your flatmates won't always see each other in the evening etc.
Reply 4
I stayed in a twin. I recommend Eastside because there is a wall separating the two sides of the room. You cant see your roommate's side from your bed or desk. As far as I know in Southside ( or at least the rooms I went into) has the desks one next to the other and a wall at the end of the bed so you can't see your roommate while sleeping, but it does not offer you the same level of privacy.

I never had anyone over, but my roommate did. She had a friend over and it was okay. Theoretically you are not allowed guests in twins, at least not in Eastside/Southside. Having someone of the opposite sex might be awkward.
Original post by AceS4
I stayed in a twin. I recommend Eastside because there is a wall separating the two sides of the room. You cant see your roommate's side from your bed or desk. As far as I know in Southside ( or at least the rooms I went into) has the desks one next to the other and a wall at the end of the bed so you can't see your roommate while sleeping, but it does not offer you the same level of privacy.

I never had anyone over, but my roommate did. She had a friend over and it was okay. Theoretically you are not allowed guests in twins, at least not in Eastside/Southside. Having someone of the opposite sex might be awkward.

Eastside is so expensive. Was it worth the money?
Reply 6
Original post by I love shopping
Eastside is so expensive. Was it worth the money?

For me it was worth it. I think I would have hated to stay anywhere else. Now I can't find anything else to meet the standards.

As mentioned before, I applied for singles and ended up in a twin so it wasn't that expensive in the end. I know that most people are worried about living in a twin, but it's not that bad if you learn how to tolerate another person's quirks. I don't really talk to my roommate, we both have our friends, we only see each other at night...not bad at all and I also saved some money for next year.

I am not saying you should try a twin, but if you want to be close to the college and pay less - this is the only option. If you decide to try it and you don't like it, vacancies appear throughout the year and you can probably move.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending