The Student Room Group

Manchester Metropolitan University vs University of Manchester

So I'm torn between making one of these my first choice. I've applied to study Education Studies/Psychology at mmu, and Psychology only at uni of Manchester. I just wanted to know if anyone here is studying the dual honours at mmu and how they find it in comparison to a single psychology degree?
Original post by jelltot
So I'm torn between making one of these my first choice. I've applied to study Education Studies/Psychology at mmu, and Psychology only at uni of Manchester. I just wanted to know if anyone here is studying the dual honours at mmu and how they find it in comparison to a single psychology degree?

What do you want to do career-wise? Both are accredited by the BPS, so you could progress to working in psychology. However, education studies won't confer any additional career benefits in terms of (say) teaching - you'd still have to go and get a PGCE / Teach First.

UoM is a much better university than MMU, however - better reputation, facilities, research intensive etc., and frankly without a compelling reason to go to MMU, I would choose UoM.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
UoM is a much better university than MMU, however - better reputation, facilities, research intensive etc., and frankly without a compelling reason to go to MMU, I would choose UoM.

Hi, how exactly are the facilities better? I thought MMU was newer, so should be better right?

I'm trying to decide between Business Management (with overseas) at MMU and International Management with American Business Studies (with overseas) at University of Manchester but am not sure which one to choose. Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by Spelled
Hi, how exactly are the facilities better? I thought MMU was newer, so should be better right?

With regards to universities, the general rule is that the older it is, the better it is more funding and more time to accumulate the reputation. (Obviously there are exceptions for instance, Warwick vs Aberdeen, or something; Warwick ranks higher whereas Aberdeen is very very old in comparison, but any university which has the word "metropolitan" in it is usually "worse" with ranking and funding when compared to the "university of" equivalent. See: Leeds Met vs Uni of Leeds, etc)
Original post by Spelled

I'm trying to decide between Business Management (with overseas) at MMU and International Management with American Business Studies (with overseas) at University of Manchester but am not sure which one to choose. Thanks.

Manchester is better funded - it's currently mid way through spending £1bn on building new facilities eg the Learning Commons. MMU definitely isn't spending £1bn.

As another illustration, the universities have similar numbers of students, but UoM has 4m books in the library, whereas MMU only has 1m.

UoM has a much, much, much, much better reputation than MMU for business, and that will impact on your employment prospects.

It may also be cheaper for you to attend UoM, if you're from a low income family (and even if you're not it will cost no more to go to UoM), as UoM's bursaries are much more generous than MMU's - for those from the lowest income families, UoM gives £9k over three years, whereas MMU gives only £4k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending