The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think I kind of have the same problem. Especially when you need to act really quickly (e.g. slowing down, moving off, junctions, roundabouts). My gear changing is very clunky and not smooth at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with automatic, but you won't be able to drive manual cars with an automatic license.
I know, it's so frustrating! I don't want to start from square one but my dad is putting pressure on me because he thinks I won't get it by September. I'll just have to see what happens I think. I'll try automatic if he insists though, because he is paying for the lessons.
Original post by KatherineThorne
I know, it's so frustrating! I don't want to start from square one but my dad is putting pressure on me because he thinks I won't get it by September. I'll just have to see what happens I think. I'll try automatic if he insists though, because he is paying for the lessons.

You still haven't answered

What exactly about it do you find hard ?
Original post by jusdorange
You still haven't answered

What exactly about it do you find hard ?

It's difficult to explain, I think it's just the amount of things I need to focus on all in one go whilst controlling the car at the same time.
It's difficult to explain, I think it's just the amount of things I need to focus on all in one go whilst controlling the car at the same time.

Ok, do you know how to change gear ?

Do you ever stall?
Be in wrong gear ?
Original post by jusdorange
Ok, do you know how to change gear ?

Do you ever stall?
Be in wrong gear ?

Yes, rarely and sometimes.
Reply 26
I wish I was learning to drive in automatic, I don't see the point in gears if they've managed to invent a system were it does it for you :albertein:

I think I'll probably get an automatic car but I'm used to using the gears now.
why would it be embarrassing? you only need to be able to drive your own car, not the majority of UK's cars.
I'm gonna learn automatic because my mum's car, which will be mine when I learn to drive, is automatic.
Reply 28
Story of my life!!!!

I'm hopeless in a manual car so I'm going to learn automatic after my a2 exams :wink:
It's safer, easier and you pass quicker so what's not to like :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Story of my life!!!!

I'm hopeless in a manual car so I'm going to learn automatic after my a2 exams :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so relieved people know how I feel haha! I'm definitely considering changing.
Reply 30
Only read the front page.

I think it would be really useful for you to do a lot of circuit driving off road where there is no traffic and therefore no threat and just get used to changing gear. Im thinking big retail park or similar late at night when there is no one there and you can drive,turn,u turn stop,start to your hearts content and just get used to gear changing,anticipating and being in the right gear at the right time. Remember Speed,position,gear.

Its a skill to be learned just like anything else and believe me, once youve got it,you wont even think about it. It will happen as naturally as breathing.

Now i have been driving for thirty years but even so, when i change from one vehicle to another, it takes a while to re-adjust. As an example i currently have two vehicles. One is a 5 gear diesel engine. Its very punchy and lazy and you dont need to change gear much. Its a plodder. Its a commercial vehicle. I just got a car that has 6 gears. When i switch from the commercial vehicle to the car, i sometimes loose it for a short while !

Having said that,autos are everywhere now.

Look at it this way,the whole of the USA drives autos. The shift can be on the steering like an indicator or it can be in the usual place. Trying hiring a car in the USA..you will get an auto. No one does stick shifts in the US of A

So yes,if you feel happier,go for it.

I also have a Mercedes auto in my stable and when i drive that,its fine...a piece of cake. A bit like driving a dodgem car..one stop pedal,one go pedal,,simples..
Reply 31
Why would you have to wait three years to continue learning if you didn't complete before university? You can carry on at university. P: There would be time, particularly in first year and of course summers.
Don't be embarrassed, it is really hard to learn in manual and some people do require much longer to learn. But I would recommend staying with a manual car because at some point in your life you might have to drive a manual, at work for example.
Reply 33
It's not embarrassing at all. Automatics are better to drive and increasingly common. However it will be a bit restrictive to only have a automatic licence. Might be worth a change of instructor and/or persevering a bit longer to see if you can get the hang of it.
I'm so relieved people know how I feel haha! I'm definitely considering changing.
It really does come down to practice.

If you are still having to think about changing gears and which gear to be in, then your reactions in difficult traffic is not yet a natural subconscious response - as yet.

It's like riding a bike, stay conscious of your riding and you cant do it. But with practice it becomes second nature until you are not even conscious you are riding - it just happens.

So you need to get out and simply practice gear changing, stop-start clutch control and manouevring as much as you can. If you can get someone to take you out for just simply driving practice with L-plates in relatively light traffic where you are not under constant pressure and can make mistakes without getting into a dangerous situation, then this will help enormously.

I used to drive go out with my dad in his car for supplementary practice this way. If you can do this for even half an hour a day for a couple of weeks, you will crack it - guaranteed. And all for the cost pf someones patience and a few quid in petrol only.

Dont give up, ask him for his help. Its well worth it in the end.
Thank you to everyone who's given me advice! All of it's helpful! :smile:
Original post by corax
I wish I was learning to drive in automatic, I don't see the point in gears if they've managed to invent a system were it does it for you :albertein:

Speaking as someone with 25+ years driving experience and perhaps 500,000+ miles, many reasons:

More expensive to buy, maintain and repair. Autobox is less reliable than a manual with more to go wrong.
Worse fuel consumption than a manual.
You have complete control to adjust driving styles/to traffic conditions in a manual. No delayed reaction time.
Can't bump start if the battery goes flat in winter and you then have to call out the AA.
Can't push start, roll or coast for the same reason.

Personally I find automatics a far less satisfactory driving experience than a manual but it really is a subjective and personal choice.
All posh rich people drive autos. Peasants and boy racers go manual. Step up and save stress and save your dad some cash.
Original post by Tillsy
Story of my life!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is an automatic safer (unless you are incompetent when driving a manual)?
Reply 39
Not at all. Your goal is to pass your test, I think you should do whatever is easiest to pass. Being a licensed automatic driver means you have access to automatic cars only, but if you're cool with that, what's the problem? It doesn't mean you're a bad driver. Driving is based on judging what is going on around you, getting from point A to B, and being able to steer. You can do all of those things on an automatic. All driving a manual is means you have complete control of the car. An automatic changes the gears for you. So as I've said you're not a bad driver. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending