The Student Room Group

Phd Dlemma - Help appreciated

Hi everyone, I'm really in need of some advice. Here's my "problem":

Currently doing a PhD (1st year) at a good university. Let's call it University A.

Took this semester off due to family issues.

During that time I've been off my dream PhD by University B.

The "problem" - I won't know if I have funding for B until June/July so cannot withdraw from A yet. A is expecting me to go back soon but I know I will have no drive or devotion to project at A whilst the possibility of B is there.

My question is if I were to delay going back to A would I be expected to repay my stipend (it is a research council stipend)? I know that's kind of a crummy thing to do to A but I really don't see any other option.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Doorlampbed
Hi everyone, I'm really in need of some advice. Here's my "problem":

Currently doing a PhD (1st year) at a good university. Let's call it University A.

Took this semester off due to family issues.

During that time I've been off my dream PhD by University B.

The "problem" - I won't know if I have funding for B until June/July so cannot withdraw from A yet. A is expecting me to go back soon but I know I will have no drive or devotion to project at A whilst the possibility of B is there.

My question is if I were to delay going back to A would I be expected to repay my stipend (it is a research council stipend)? I know that's kind of a crummy thing to do to A but I really don't see any other option.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. Thanks!

I honestly have no idea, but did you have to sign something to accept the money from the research council? If so, the T&Cs of withdrawing will be in there somewhere. On what to do, if you had not already started, there would be no problem, but it does create a bad impression leaving in the middle of a project. It might not make a difference, but remember academia is a small place, particularly in certain disciplines, and some people hold grudges. On the whole it will probably depend on your relationships with your lab/department. There probably is nothing they can do to stop you, but there could be a lot of bad feeling created.
Reply 2
Is it possible to transfer the stipend to the new project/institution at all?

Stipends are offered on different terms than an UG student loan where you would have to repay some of the grants etc back if you withdraw. Stipends are more similar to a 'wage' from a job. Say you started a job and left after 6 months, you wouldn't have to give them your wages back! :smile: That said - they all differ so you would need to check the terms as above.

It is a shame - research council studentships are hard to come by, you've done very well to get funding and it will be a shame for the institution and you if you leave. That said, PhDs require an enormous amount of motivation to complete, so if you are certain your decision is for the best, it probably is.

Best to be as honest and apologetic as you can, as soon as you can - the institution may well want to get someone to replace you quickly if they need to complete the project you were working on.

Good luck for the future!

Edit - as I understand if you're in 'temporary withdrawal' from Uni A, you wouldn't be getting any stipend, so it should be no problem to extend your leave of absence while you sort things out with Uni B.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending