The Student Room Group

Unit 6B 6B108 ~ A2 Biology

Poll

What Practical experiment do you think is most likely to come?

Hey guys,

So I thought we could revise and discuss tips on the alternative to practical exam here!

:biggrin: so post away!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Moved to Biology Exams forum :smile:
Original post by Lost_Life
Hey guys,

So I thought we could revise and discuss tips on the alternative to practical exam here!

:biggrin: so post away!

hi, the exam is almost a week away! how are you preparing? you are doing IAL right? :smile:
I know right? Only a week to go! :afraid: I am doing IAL ! :yep: How y'all doing with your preps? What are your predictions for the questions 1 and 3 ?
Original post by The_New_Guy
I know right? Only a week to go! :afraid: I am doing IAL ! :yep: How y'all doing with your preps? What are your predictions for the questions 1 and 3 ?

Hi, i am doing IAL too! :smile: hmm i really have no idea of what could possibly come up.. But do you think that the exam will be of the same format? i mean question 3 questions or question 2 having number things? I just finished studying the experiments for A2 from the syllabus but i want to revise the AS ones as well.. :/ How are you doing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by kcapsoccer
Hi, i am doing IAL too! :smile: hmm i really have no idea of what could possibly come up.. But do you think that the exam will be of the same format? i mean question 3 questions or question 2 having number things? I just finished studying the experiments for A2 from the syllabus but i want to revise the AS ones as well.. :/ How are you doing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! yeah, i guess it'll be the same format. I suggest you study the AS experiments to be on the safe side :tongue: Im not sure what'll come up, but just in case. brush over every little detail :P Q1 and Q3 are good for me. Q2 is the hardest. Im not sure when to pick the critical value, for ex when given the mean and stuff /:
Reply 6

HI 5 :eek: IAL /: erm, I just finished revising the experiments, and im off to practicing past papers you? :biggrin:
HI 5 :eek: IAL /: erm, I just finished revising the experiments, and im off to practicing past papers you? :biggrin:

I finished doing the past papers for the bio 6b . Now, I am going to start revising for all the 6bs for Chemistry, Physics and Biology when I still have some time > you know, going through the practicals and stuff. An opinion to share :colondollar: - I don't think practicals related to Antibiotics is going to come in either Q3 or Q1 in this June examination series as it appeared in Jan 2014 (I kinda liked the antibiotics experiment!). I guess investigations related to Ecology might appear which honestly scares the crap outta me when I start to plan (the quadrats and transects and when to use what! urrgh!) . I also think its a brilliant idea to go through the AS practicals because they do come up especially tissue culture, enzyme concentration and the Vitamin C one.
What do y'all think?
Reply 8
I finished doing the past papers for the bio 6b . Now, I am going to start revising for all the 6bs for Chemistry, Physics and Biology when I still have some time > you know, going through the practicals and stuff. An opinion to share :colondollar: - I don't think practicals related to Antibiotics is going to come in either Q3 or Q1 in this June examination series as it appeared in Jan 2014 (I kinda liked the antibiotics experiment!). I guess investigations related to Ecology might appear which honestly scares the crap outta me when I start to plan (the quadrats and transects and when to use what! urrgh!) . I also think its a brilliant idea to go through the AS practicals because they do come up especially tissue culture, enzyme concentration and the Vitamin C one.
What do y'all think?

I do honestly think that as practicals might come, but i've got a gut feeling that this examination might focus on Brine Shrimp since ecology was given in both 10 and 11. Erm, for the quadrates and transect thing, its something you gotta learn XP thats how i studied for it Random Sampling, use quadrates. Systematic, use transect. Random is only used when given an abiotic factor to investigate :P systematic is for biotic. Hope that helped..
Reply 9
Guys.... Do we isolate plants and take them to a greenhouse and control the variables there or do we just measure the abiotic variables in the sample area?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Thankssssss
Guys.... Do we isolate plants and take them to a greenhouse and control the variables there or do we just measure the abiotic variables in the sample area?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Thankssssss

I assume you are trying to control factors that might affect the dependent variable.
If you measure them, you are simply monitoring it but not necessarily controlling it.
Not all abiotic factors can be controlled. In those cases, u dont just simply measure the variables but take them into account to essentially control them. For instance, measure soil pH at different sampling areas and make sure they are within limits. (correct me if I am wrong)
Isolating plants and growing them in greenhouse could be way to control some abiotic factors like temperature, humidity .etc. as well as some biotic factors predators (like preventing plants from physical damage due to grazing by other animals.) but again, this depends on the type of investigation as in some, it may not be appropriate to isolate the plants.
Thanks for helping out with the sampling technique earlier :wink:
I do honestly think that as practicals might come, but i've got a gut feeling that this examination might focus on Brine Shrimp since ecology was given in both 10 and 11. Erm, for the quadrates and transect thing, its something you gotta learn XP thats how i studied for it Random Sampling, use quadrates. Systematic, use transect. Random is only used when given an abiotic factor to investigate :P systematic is for biotic. Hope that helped..

Could you please brush up a little for the "Random is only used when given an abiotic factor to investigate :P systematic is for biotic" statement you made?
Thanks ;-)
Reply 12
I assume you are trying to control factors that might affect the dependent variable.
If you measure them, you are simply monitoring it but not necessarily controlling it.
Not all abiotic factors can be controlled. In those cases, u dont just simply measure the variables but take them into account to essentially control them. For instance, measure soil pH at different sampling areas and make sure they are within limits. (correct me if I am wrong)
Isolating plants and growing them in greenhouse could be way to control some abiotic factors like temperature, humidity .etc. as well as some biotic factors predators (like preventing plants from physical damage due to grazing by other animals.) but again, this depends on the type of investigation as in some, it may not be appropriate to isolate the plants.
Thanks for helping out with the sampling technique earlier :wink:

OH so it really depends on the investigation. so we could potentially isolate the plants but without disturbing the habitat... :tongue: THANK YOU
Reply 14
Could you please brush up a little for the "Random is only used when given an abiotic factor to investigate :P systematic is for biotic" statement you made?
Thanks ;-)

Yeah sure!
so Random is used when investigating an abiotic factor. like light, temp, etc..

Systematic is for change in gradient of biotic factors. like competition, space etc..

get it?:rolleyes:
Yeah sure!
so Random is used when investigating an abiotic factor. like light, temp, etc..

Systematic is for change in gradient of biotic factors. like competition, space etc..

get it?:rolleyes:

So if a question was like....investigate the effect of sloping of a land on the distribution of a certain species> we use random sampling as sloping is an abiotic factor.

The technique really helped bro. Thanks :-)
OH so it really depends on the investigation. so we could potentially isolate the plants but without disturbing the habitat... :tongue: THANK YOU

Exactly! Taking account of ethical concerns :-)
Reply 17
Thats nice to know. Prepared?
Guys can some put a poll on what is the practical most likely to come...
Spearman's rank is for correlation test.
t-test for significant difference
what's chi-squared test for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending