The Student Room Group

When people spell/pronounce you name wrong...

Scroll to see replies

I have very few problems with Paul, but some people have even struggled with that.

I feel for anyone with a Gaelic name. I know a Saoirse, a Padraigin and a Caoilfhinn (same family) and some of the name butcheries I've heard have been wonderful. Their parents aren't even Irish.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
I do hear people pronouncing my name incorrectly :teehee: Some people don't even try to spell my surname :toofunny:
My name's Karl and people spell my name as Carl 99% of the time unless I correct them but it doesn't bother me too much really to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of people get my surname wrong. It ends -nell but most people write -ald. It's a bit annoying but my name is a lesser known version of a very well known name so I can't complain too much.
#Africankidproblem * sigh* i have an English first name but my last name is problematic for people to spell and pronounce
My first name has been mispronounced and misspellt too often - it takes the average teacher 3 months to get it right.
I started going by my middle name, even though Octavia can also be misspellt as Oktavia or Oktayvia or Ophelia (no comment really..) or Olivia (I won't even bother...).
Sorry OP, I sympathise but I think you're being a bit of a whiner.

My name's long and unusual, and the abbreviation is also similar to those of a couple of other names. So my name is frequently pronounced a bit weird and I am also very often called the wrong name. I almost always have to spell out my name, even though it is phonetically spelt so shouldn't be too difficult.

But to be honest, there is not much point being negative about it. It's quite selfish in a way - think about it from the other person's pov. They don't mean any harm, your name is just difficult and unusual - and tbh it's a pretty harmless mistake.

I could throw a strop every time someone didn't get my name right but that would make me a douche. I prefer to congratulate people when they get it right (and I get a lot of praise for my name so that's the upside!), that's more positive. It doesn't really matter what people call you as long as they mean well. Obviously if they are teasing you or intentionally being rude about your name that's a bit different.

Don't sweat the little things in life.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by malena123
Does anyone else get this? Because I get this ALL. THE. BLOODY. TIME.

My name is Jonas, my parents are English speaking therefore they always called me Jonas where J is pronounced similar as in Job/Joke etc. However people I'm close to who come from Nordic or Germanic countries tend to call me Jonas where J it sounds closer to Yonas as that is how it is pronounced here in Norway. I've stopped getting upset about it and just take it as that's how it will be.

2 of my kids also has similar issues with regard to their name being spelt and pronounced.

Katrin, everyone in England generally assumes it is spelt as Catherine.

Yngvi, when he tells his name everyone generally thinks it is spelt Ingwee or they see his name they assume it is pronounced as Ying-Wee where it is actually pronounced as per this http://www.forvo.com/search/yngvi/ Lucky for him now he lives in Norway where most people knows this name.
Reply 89
It's your fault for choosing such a weird name. Why on this godforsaken earth would anyone ever choose a name like that? What is it with people choosing really weird names these days. I mean, Peaches? Come on.
Reply 90
Original post by elpistolero7
I'm half Indian and have an Indian name.

Its Abhi,

My British mates tends to pronounce it as "Abby". For the love of god :cry:

Loooool yo Abzy-e :wink:
The only 2 problems I have is I have a Scottish variation of a name so it sounds identical to a English surname i.e along the lines of ie instead of ea so people especially in England spell it the English way but in both they add a extra S onto the end even my aunt does that despite my mum being married 31 years!
Reply 92
I don't mind the general misspellings of my name such as pheobe (totally exceptable) or febe (sort of exceptable) but I got a Christmas card from a friend addressed to feoibe.

Kyle

Welsh girls do it best, "Kyyyyuuuuul!" :sexface:
Reply 94
Original post by Care-Free
Samara. Sa-Mar-Rah - Not that hard I think

Sa-Meer-Ah
Sa-My-Rah
Sa-Mi-Rah
Samantha < -- Wtf? don't start adding letters that clearly aren't there!
Tamara

It doesn't bother me too much..I'm too shy to tell them so I just deal with it...I know when they're referring to me. I usually tell people my name and then said " but sam's fine" I hate being called sam but I don't like watching them be too polite to ask how to pronounce it.

I always hates "ooh that's an usual name, you don't hear that every day do you?"...Yes...I do...It's my name, i hear it multiple times a day.
I didn't really like "are you from Pakistan? or the Caribbean?" No I'm English...I look and sound as English as they come!

My name's Tamara and I have a cousin called Samara haha people don't seem to struggle pronouncing my name, though I have had some people say Ta-Meer-Ah. Most people just have no clue how to spell my name! They look at me confused and ask me to write it down, and if they do try it comes out like 'Tammara/Tamarra'
Reply 95
I always get called Jasmine -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
My names lianne sometimes it gets spelled wrong like Leanne, leighanne etc but I don't really mind. My surname is mispronounced all the time but I don't blame them it's long (thank you father) but as it's double barralled I've taken to chopping it in half it's easier for all of us :smile:
Reply 97
I get called (um-rah) or (you-marah) when my name CLEARLY shows there's an 'A' between the 'um' and the 'rah'. (um-a-rah) Umarah, like, Sahara. Simples. :smile:
Hate when people pronounce my name wrong so I really love them when they get it right the first time <3. All throughout primary school, I had people pronouncing a part of my name as if an 'a' was there when it's actually an 'e'. Some have even been so stupid as to just look at the first and last letters of my name and pronounce it like a more generic name they already know (which sounds nothing like it). My name's unique, but it's not exactly the hardest name in the world and can be easily split into 3 syllables for easier pronunciation. I was so happy when we got a voice mail from someone at NCS for the challenge and they pronounced my name right, with fluidity as if it's a name they've heard their entire life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
It happens to me quite a bit and mine isn't that unusual or hard to spell (I've had Emma, Anna, Jenny and Jenna). I've also experienced the same with my surname (tbf it isn't that common in the UK but its one of the top 20 in America and isnt particularly rare here, so I would've thought most people would've heard it/seen it written down).
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest