The Student Room Group

Investment Banker/Actuary with Science Degree?

Ive heard that its possible to enter a career as an investment banker with a science degree. I enjoy science and am torn between biology and chemistry at uni (i do not like physics!). I was wondering which of the two degrees, biology or chemistry, would be the best for entering a career as an investment banker. If i did this would i be at a disadvantage to other people that had say maths degrees? Also what else is there that i could do to maximise my chances of working at an investment bank?
Reply 1
I'd enjoy hearing an answer to that question also. :wink:
Don't double post. Just keep checking your other thread.
Reply 3
I'm doing Chemistry and hoping to get a job at a bank after my degree :smile:
Reply 4
Chemistry for sure!

Look for chem degrees with open modules so you might be able to do some economics or something.
Sentooran

Obviously, mathematical skills are what's needed for front office investment banking (if you want to be a trader that is) and Chemistry is not that far off a pure Maths degree.

It is miles away from a pure maths degree, sure we do more maths than most but it is only a small fraction of the mathematics encountered in a maths degree.
Reply 6
yeh i wanted to know the answer to this question, im applying for nat.sci in cambridge, durham, leeds and UCL. ill be doing mostly chem and bio modules and wonderd how suitable this degree would be to get me into a good job in finance, in the bulge bracket or the top 4
Reply 7
I know an acturist with a physics degree. Chemistry is highly numerate and is counted as such. Check advertisements for the jobs "... a 2:1 in maths or a highly numerate science degree..."

Latest

Trending

Trending