The Student Room Group

Where do we draw the line with the term homophobia ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arcturus7
Says who?

Procreation is the only logical reason you could state to support that comment, however I get the distinct impression you're going to give me a somewhat different reason.

I dare you.

Along with it being a major sin.
OP knows full well he's a homophobe.

It never ceases to amaze me that people can have such strong hatreds and never have the capacity to question where these hatreds have come from.
Reply 22
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Says a book comprising of old stories. Last time I checked it also said there was a donkey-sized creature that transported people to the heavens :lol:
Original post by Abdul-Karim

And there we have it ladies and gentlemen, the illogical reason that tops the list of poor excuses for discrimination.

May I please ask;

Which Abrahamic religion is telling you this?
Why said religion considers it sinful? I'm not asking for quotes from the Bible, Qur'an or Torah, I'm asking for the reason behind it being sinful.
Why it bothers you that other people are committing a sin which doesn't affect you?

Being homosexual or bisexual is a natural phenomena and is hardly worthy of being described as a sin. It's something totally out of the control of the person; it's like saying that someone born into a wealthy family and who has brown hair is sinful. There are numerous factors which are instrumental in determining one's sexual orientation (supposedly), such as your genetic makeup and your social environment. Please explain to me how it is morally excusable to malign a group of people for the way that nature (or God, if you're so inclined) made them?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by matthewduncan
Personally Im not a supporter of gay marriage in fact i am totally against it.

Also the thought of two men engaging in sexual acts makes me feel sick to my stomach however i can be respectful to gay people if i see them . If i saw one getting beaten to the point of near death,if i knew they could die i would try jump in and stop it ,not before obviously because i rarely like getting involved in other peoples dramas unless i like them or know them on a level that i can say boom they are my fam . I also try not to say bad things about them as well . Does not supporting gay marriage and being repulsed by the act make me a homophobe ? if so where do we draw the line

I have a suggestion of where we draw the line. We draw it where Putin has drawn it. People are allowed to be gay If they want to as people are free to do whatever they want in their bedroom as long as it doesn't get anyone, but we stop gay propaganda e.g. The promotion of gayness as if its some ultra-cool highly sophisticated movement that you need to be a part of.

Gay marriage is simply ridiculous.

Marriage comes from Christianity and God said that marriage is between man and woman. Sure gay people can have a union, the state had introduced civil partnerships, but to take something from Christianity, marriage and turn it upside down is a shameful disrespect to Christianity. I do not respect certain act so the state and do not recognise them and this is one of them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Ageofsin&lies
I have a suggestion of where we draw the line. We draw it where Putin has drawn it. People are allowed to be gay If they want to as people are free to do whatever they want in their bedroom as long as it doesn't get anyone, but we stop gay propaganda e.g. The promotion of gayness as if its some ultra-cool highly sophisticated movement that you need to be a part of.

Gay marriage is simply ridiculous.

Marriage comes from Christianity and God said that marriage is between man and woman. Sure gay people can have a union, the state had introduced civil partnerships, but to take something from Christianity, marriage and turn it upside down is a shameful disrespect to Christianity. I do not respect certain act so the state and do not recognise them and this is one of them.

Marriage does not come from Christianity. Both the Romans and Greeks had marriage, so a good few hundred years before christianity began :lol:
Reply 26
I hate how if your against Gay people then all of a sudden your an outcast and a bad human being who has no morals etc...

End of the day we have a right to our own views and Pro Gays shouldn't force their views on us and call us Homophobic as same as we shouldn't force our views on them.

I have my opinion on this matter and I'm sticking to it. I would kindly appreciate it if Pro Homosexuals give me a lecture on why I'm wrong when I have the free will to choose my own beliefs!
And there we have it ladies and gentlemen, the illogical reason that tops the list of poor excuses for discrimination.

May I please ask;

Why said religion considers it sinful? I'm not asking for quotes from the Bible, Qur'an or Torah, I'm asking for the reason behind it being sinful.
Why it bothers you that other people are committing a sin which doesn't affect you?

Being homosexual or bisexual is a natural phenomena and is hardly worthy of being described as a sin. It's something totally out of the control of the person; it's like saying that someone born into a wealthy family and who has brown hair is sinful. There are numerous factors which are instrumental in determining one's sexual orientation (supposedly), such as your genetic makeup and your social environment. Please explain to me how it is morally excusable to malign a group of people for the way that nature (or God, if you're so inclined) made them?

Don't bother, you won't get a logical answer out of him. He's religious, their arguments aren't logical in the slightest.
Original post by zeb123
I hate how if your against Gay people then all of a sudden your an outcast and a bad human being who has no morals etc...

End of the day we have a right to our own views and Pro Gays shouldn't force their views on us and call us Homophobic as same as we shouldn't force our views on them.

I have my opinion on this matter and I'm sticking to it. I would kindly appreciate it if Pro Homosexuals give me a lecture on why I'm wrong when I have the free will to choose my own beliefs!

If I might interject, there is quite a difference between being against gay people, and being actively against them. You are completely entitled to your opinion on the matter, but if you're trying to restrict the rights of gay people or discriminate against them based on said opinion, then you're not really in a position to complain about people objecting to that.
Reply 29
Original post by shadowdweller
If I might interject, there is quite a difference between being against gay people, and being actively against them. You are completely entitled to your opinion on the matter, but if you're trying to restrict the rights of gay people or discriminate against them based on said opinion, then you're not really in a position to complain about people objecting to that.

If you could kindly Read AGAIN what I said, I clearly stated We shouldn't force our views on Pro Gay people aswell..
Original post by zeb123
If you could kindly Read AGAIN what I said, I clearly stated We shouldn't force our views on Pro Gay people aswell..

That by no means negates what I said, but I apologise if I appeared to gloss over that point. 'Forcing views' on people is a fairly ambiguous term, however.
Reply 31
Original post by zeb123

The difference being there isn't equality, and there should be, despite the hoardes of closeted, religious homosexuals who fail to string a logical sentence together in an attempt to argue why gay people shouldn't have equal rights. The problem isn't with people who think everyone should have equal rights regardless of sexuality, the problem is with the people who disagree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by angelxox
I wouldn't say its the same. Race is just different sorry

Saying 'sorry' doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Why is race different?

May I please ask;

What people choose to do is up to them, nowhere did I say it bothers me. I just don't support it. Similarly to I don't support people who do drugs, I don't care that people do it.

Why so?
Reply 35

You can't choose your race just as you can't choose who you are attracted to. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. You are homophobic.
Original post by awe
Every single time I go to rep you it says prsom. But I swear I haven't managed to actually do it in like two weeks or something.
:frown:

You have to rep 20 other members before you can rep a person again, iirc. It's about the number of people repped, not the time since you last repped them. I may be wrong though.
Personally Im not a supporter of gay marriage in fact i am totally against it.

Also the thought of two men engaging in sexual acts makes me feel sick to my stomach however i can be respectful to gay people if i see them . If i saw one getting beaten to the point of near death,if i knew they could die i would try jump in and stop it ,not before obviously because i rarely like getting involved in other peoples dramas unless i like them or know them on a level that i can say boom they are my fam . I also try not to say bad things about them as well . Does not supporting gay marriage and being repulsed by the act make me a homophobe ? if so where do we draw the line

But i cant help that though . i am attracted to women not men . I am also very alpha as well . .
I just cant get down with that .

I do not see particular problems if you say that the image of gay sex is not appealing to you, if you are straight. I do not see particular problems when you say that you do not supported gay marriage (meaning that you do not actively supported marriage equality).

I do see as homophobia when you say that you are "totally against" gay marriage, because it means that you might act against equality, having a huge effect on gay people lives while gay marriage has no effect on yours.

I see as homophobic the rest of your post.

PS: saying that one would defend a human being beaten only if he thinks s/he is on the point of dying makes someone closer to an omega than to an alpha.

Original post by 3LostContinents
This is the equivalent to saying "I don't support interracial marriage and people of other races repulse me, but if I have to I'll save someone of another race from being murdered. Maybe. But I'm not a racist, right?"

...being repulsed by someone because of who they choose to love and have sex with (which is none of your business anyway) is homophobic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. :shakehand:
Hmm interesting point. I have noticed that many people have been forced to accept all the stuff to do with gay people via tv, papers ECT. Everybody has their own opinions, But I don't think it should be shoved down everyone's throats. The term homophobic seems to be used way to much about anyone who doesn't jump on the whole movement thing going on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending